Number Punchers

fizzymagic

Or, as is the case in this area, after a 5-minute search they decide the original cache (usually a micro) must be missing, so they place a new film canister where they zeroed out and claim a find for themselves. Then, when a later cacher finds both the original cache and the "replacement," there is a problem making sure the logbooks get reconciled properly.

That is completely awful behavior! I am shocked someone would do this! ;)

Is it ok to refer to a person who likes geocaching but also likes to dance exotic dances in confined spaces, squashing large trees, sleeping curled up and collecting lion king warthog figurines as a -

Rumba scrunching, lumber crunching, slumber hunching, Pumba bunching, number puncher?

Fizzy, it wasn't you that made the inference that high number count = irresponsible cacher

Actually it was

I know that this is a game that everyone plays their own way, but I find number-obsessed cachers slightly annoying. Mainly because often in their haste to get to the next cache they can't be bothered to replace the original cache proper

Edited by briansnat

Me, I just wander through the woods, taking pictures, smelling the flowers, seeing the sights, and muttering "it's not about the numbers, it's not about the numbers".

But that list has my count wrong! It's off by 10!!!! When does it get updated?? And did I tell you I've 16 states under my belt? Did I, huh? did I?

it's not about the numbers, it's not about the numbers, it's not about the numbers, it's not about the numbers, it's not about the numbers, it's not about the numbers it's not about the numbers, it's not about the numbers, it's not about the numbers, it's not about the numbers, it's not about the numbers, it's not about the numbers.

Fizzy, it wasn't you that made the inference that high number count = irresponsible cacher

Actually it was

I know that this is a game that everyone plays their own way, but I find number-obsessed cachers slightly annoying. Mainly because often in their haste to get to the next cache they can't be bothered to replace the original cache proper

I guess I didn't make that correlation between "number obsessed" and "high number of finds". I guess the inference is there, but to me it's a stretch.

I guess I didn't make that correlation between "number obsessed" and "high number of finds".  I guess the inference is there, but to me it's a stretch.

Your original impression was correct, Moose: those who see it are committing a logical fallacy, for the inference is not there. Having a large number of finds does not imply that a cacher is number-obsessed.

The particular fallacy here is a common one: it's called affirming the consequent. Basically, the fallacious logic goes like this:

* Number punchers are obsessed with their number of finds.

* Therefore, number punchers have high numbers of finds.

* Therefore, everyone with a high number of finds is a number puncher.

Put this way, I hope that the error in the logic is clear.

Well here we go again with the labelling and generalizing. There are some, perhaps many cachers who fit different categories at different times. :lol:

There have been days where I/we are number ho's (our preferred label). There have been days when that is as far from accurate as can be.

1.This Sunday I'm taking a tour of an area about 90 minutes from home where 3 dozen new caches have sprouted in the past month. Knowing the hiders they shouldn't be too hard to pick up. In the meantime we'll enjoy some nice rural/small town scenery. On Saturday I will be working well past midnight catering one of my biggest events of the holiday season. :P I will have no interest in major hikes with challenging terrain or puzzles ;) the next day but still will be out caching with a good friend.

2. Last Sunday I spent the whole day with my best friend; Shadowgal-my wife. We visited several artist studios taking place in an annual open house tour, bought some stuff, and found three ;) caches that were along the route.

3. Last month we drove almost three hours to an event, visited with some of the locals at the shelter, found all 16 new caches on some very challenging terrain in the park, visited a bit more at the shelter, and then went to dinner at their local brew-pub for several more hours. :lol:

4. The month before the team traveled to western NC and found both 5/5's in the same day. This had never been done before. I sincerely hope someone else does this so they can share the same feelings of triumph we did at the final stage of the notorious Tube Torcher. :lol::lol:

Sorry if this has rambled on for too long, but that's also how I cache sometimes. Oh look there's another one right over there-let's go find it. Oh and BTW-the #1 cacher was along with the team on the 5/5's, we couldn't have done it without her. Well maybe, but it was even more fun that way. :lol:

PS on the days-or any day when we are out, for numbers or not, the cache gets rehidden as well, or maybe even a little better than we found it. EVERY time!

Insinuating that powercacher/number ho's/ cache divas are less responsible than newbies or casual cachers is just plain stupid and naive. :P