Seasider Retired

steviep

If John is serious I'm not at all surprised. I was recently asked in an email why my COTM scores have dropped off and my activity rate fallen. I avoided the specific subject in my reply but the fact is although I've had plenty of time to keep up my usual rate of activity I've lost the drive. All I want to do is to get on with this activity within the guidelines and continue to experience the intended enjoyment. However, there is a minority of self-opinionated individuals who regularly express their misguided views on how everyone else should do it their way. It appears to me this is influencing decisions that are affecting the activity for the majority.

Poor Brian and his COTM but someone obviously got to him enough to change the wording on his scoring criteria for TBs. This put me in a position of having to defend my scores against the necessity to withdraw from the scheme altogether. Thanks to Brian for backing me but the result is that I have been left hoping someone would overtake my annual score accumulation as pushing on to take the title for the year has lost it's value and enjoyment.

The creation of the dedicated congratulations thread, that John appears to have taken exception to - why? Did the majority ask for it to be done? I haven't seen anything to this effect. What I have seen again is a minority of unnecessary complaints to congratulations posts. Is it really necessary to stifle this open encouragement of others?

I think some are taken this activity too seriously and are spoiling it for others. You could criticise myself for the same by posting this reply! But the difference is I'm not making any suggestion that others should do it my way. Let's be allowed to get on with the activity within the guidelines without having to face criticism when we are acting correctly.

The creation of the dedicated congratulations thread, that John appears to have taken exception to - why? Did the majority ask for it to be done? I haven't seen anything to this effect. What I have seen again is a minority of unnecessary complaints to congratulations posts. Is it really necessary to stifle this open encouragement of others?

As I recollect (and I haven't gone back to read all the postings) a 'Pinned Thread' was suggested and met with a considerable amount of approval. Mr Lactodorum then created said thread.

I don't believe, however, that it's COMPULSORY to use it if you don't want to. If you feel the need to create a new thread within the forum then do so.

Let's be allowed to get on with the activity within the guidelines without having to face criticism when we are acting correctly.

Well said Paul! I've been a member of this forum long enough to realize that, it tends to run in cycles, with short periods of forum instability, between long periods of stability. At the moment this period of instability is very minor, and will soon pass. A previous period of instability, involved backstabbing, and blood letting, which resulted in the loss of 5 Approvers (as they were then called, 2 husband and wife teams, and the person who was responsible for me getting into geocaching), so come on people, "think about any comments you intend to make" before posting them. And we will soon weather this period, and things will be back to normal.

Dave :blink:

Let's be allowed to get on with the activity within the guidelines without having to face criticism when we are acting correctly.

Well said Paul! I've been a member of this forum long enough to realize that, it tends to run in cycles, with short periods of forum instability, between long periods of stability. At the moment this period of instability is very minor, and will soon pass. A previous period of instability, involved backstabbing, and blood letting, which resulted in the loss of 5 Approvers (as they were then called, 2 husband and wife teams, and the person who was responsible for me getting into geocaching), so come on people, "think about any comments you intend to make" before posting them. And we will soon weather this period, and things will be back to normal.

I may be relatively new to this forum Dave but your observation rings true of other forums I have been a member of :D

I haven't a clue about what Pyoung1s is on about when he implies that people are being critised for acting within the rules?? I can only assume that any such criticism has arisen because someone obviously thought they were not acting within the rules...or the rules were not being interpreted correctly?? In any case one would imagine these sort of differences of opinion could be discussed without bloodletting (as you put it :D ).

And as for suggesting that anything that has occurred in the unofficial fun COTM table should affect someone to the extent that they would resign from geocaching just stuns me!! I don't know Seasider's reasons for resigning but I would be surprised if it were something so trivial ???

I was for the pinned congratulations thread to begin with but had a change of heart when I read some of the pertinent comments that were made...but even so I tried to give it a fair trial....and as has been stated ... it is only a trial.

Yes I agree Dave let everyone think about what they are posting...but not to the extent that reasonable observations are stiffled....we all like peace...but not at any price??

No offence taken I hope...this is just my take on all this :D

Team Ullium.

No offense taken I hope...this is just my take on all this

No offence at all Bill, good, honest opinions, are always welcome.

think about any comments you intend to make

I wrote this, not to stifle, but to to get people to think about how others, would read different meaning into what had been written.

As for the blood letting, all caches here in the Uk were orginaly approved by approvers in the US, but because of mention of pubs and such, caches were not approved. After a lot of campaigning to GC, UK approvers were put into place. These UK approvers then tried doing what our current Reviews have done, contacted landowners to try and negotiate blanket permission to place caches, they also set up GAGB, which caused even more of a war at the time. Some of the concerns were genuine, but some were just jealousy. Ufortunatly the posts of a very small No, could only be described as attempts at massacring those involved, think of Ceaser, if these few and the approvers involved had been at a Event, this is exactly what would have happened. Hence my use of the term "blood letting". Sorry to give you another long post to read :blink:, but to understand how bad it got, you realy needed to be involved at the time, one cacher pulled all his caches off GC, and just left them listed on Navicache, there were even vailed threats about trashing caches, thats how bad it got.

Dave

Whew!! Thanks for the explanation Dave :D

Yes I must admit it does not surprise me how petty some people can get if they don't get their own way :D

I enjoy a reasoned non emotional discussion ... and as will hopefully be evident... I don't mind giving as well as making points ... even to the extent of admitting I was wrong!!

But not everyone can debate in this fashion and take everything very very personal...and of course I've said it before...this medium is not the best to relay ones actual jovial feelings in debates as a result it can appear that one is being angry when this is not the case at all. :blink:

I must admit what all this latest whoo haa is all about I haven't a clue...and maybe I am fortunate in my ignorance eh? :D:D:D:D

Cheers Dave :D

Bill.

It's purely work related! :D

The message in the other thread was intended as a spoof but looks like it has been taken otherwise. :D:blink:

I had planned to do the IOW trip with Paul and then spend a couple of weeks caching around the south (should have been near Brighton today) which took ages to plan but workload killed that one (after I paid for the cottages as well - too late for a refund!!) :D

And I'm now involved in the planning for a couple of beer festivals & a paranormal/ufo conference next year - and a hastily arranged planning meeting saw off my trip to the Welsh meet over the weekend! :D

I've wasted a lot of time planning for caching trips that I've had to cancel and now realise how fortunate I was to have a bit of spare time on my hands earlier in the year ! B)

I had retired in June and only got involved again after Slytherin plied me with ale one night in Leeds and begged me to do his Austin Powers series!! :D:DB):D

I still get the logs from my caches so I'll be able to maintain them (I'll archive them as they get muggled) and indeed I replaced a local cache for Dan & Pid over the weekend. :D

Cache well!

Adios!

Seasider

This is very true Pyrocacher, just as I was arriving in July '02 the Lovelock Saga (I would say don't ask but for the purposes of education, advertisments were being placed in caches = much anger) was wrapping itself up. Since then there has been two/three almighty flame wars in which I more or less keep out of and go very quiet (go to the main board and make more friends there :D ).

I suggest everyone does the same for a long online life :D

MarcB

I for one am very glad that Seasider has only interrupted his caching - mind you with the offers of drinks he has had it is as well that he has good beer holding capacity - I'll add a pint or two when I can, probably owe him them as it is.

But what has come out of this topic is Mancunian Pyrocachers wisdom based on experience and backed by MarkB - we've lived through some unpleasant times on this forum and held back where necessary and still we go on at our own pace and in our own way. Surely the point is that we all are different and have our own contributions to make and get our satisfaction in different ways. None of us is all right and none of us all wrong.

Dave :rolleyes:

This is very true Pyrocacher, just as I was arriving in July '02 the Lovelock Saga (I would say don't ask but for the purposes of education, advertisments were being placed in caches = much anger) was wrapping itself up. Since then there has been two/three almighty flame wars in which I more or less keep out of and go very quiet (go to the main board and make more friends there :rolleyes: ).

I suggest everyone does the same for a long online life :blink:

MarcB

*This* [points around] is what I was on about guys and gals.

I know some peeps can find flamers fun but the quicker they're put out the better :lol:

MarcB