Cache Archieved But Still There?

ibycus

A while back I went after GCH37F. Found it was missing. Reported it to the owner, and they confirmed it was gone. Owner said he'd replace it soon. I was back in the area a week or so later, and decided to check on it. It came back. Got to the site and it had been archieved. It was in fact the original cache too (had a complete log book in it too) Haven't been by in a while, but it was there for a couple months while archieved anyways.

Tried contacting the owner, got no response.

So what would you do? Seems kind of wrong to just leave the geolitter out there, but then again, the cache was in good shape, and in no way damaged, and it wasn't mine.

Further the cache container looked like a specially purchased one, and not just your standard peanut butter jar.

It was tempting to 'create' a new cache in the same local, and just put a note on the page as to who the real owner was. Another idea was to remove the cache, and put it somewhere as new cache, again with a note as to where it came from.

Thoughts?

Also, do cache owners still get messages about posts to their archieved caches?

The other thing that might influence things is that the cache owner in fact hasn't abandoned the sport. He has since placed other caches, but I've still been unable to contact him.

Trying to contact them is the right thing to do. As a matter of policy when I think a cache is gone and I archive it I'll email the last finder to confirm it's gone. Caches get moved and I know where I hid it but maybe not where it ended up. As the owner sometimes I think we are at a disadvantage on our own caches.

That email has recoved at least one cache that wasn't really MIA.

The strange thing here, is I know it was gone. I got to the site, and I found the bag the cache was in, but no cache. The owner went to check on the cache, and sure enough it was gone. Came back later, and magically there was the cache again. Almost like some newbie took the cache without knowing that they weren't meant to, and then put it back again. There was one log in the book from a guy who came by the same day I did (talked to him, and he found it in the same place), but that was it.

I found a cache once where the previous finder had stumbled across it. Not knowing what it was (probably didn't read the log book), they brought it home, read the book, checked geocaching.com, and brought it back a few days later.

That might explain why a cache might have gone missing and reappeared again.

If the owner doesn't seem to be active anymore, why not work with gc.com and the original hider to adopt the cache? that way people can still enjoy it (and the special container). otherwise if it remains archived, I'd retrieve it, but only after sufficient warning to the hider.

Cache says geocaching.com on the outside with the geocaching.com logo on it. Cache contains the geocaching.com 'stash-note'. Cache contains no references to any other caching sites. No one has/had logged in the book since I logged it. Pretty safe to say that this is a geocaching.com cache and is likely not listed anywhere else. Cache is placed in an area where geocaching might get banned in the future, having geo-litter lying around doesn't make for a good impression. If the original owner of the cache wanted it back, all they would have to do is ask for it, or for that matter go and 'steal' the cache from wherever I put it.

I have to agree with the Smurf here, not you property, not your responsibility. Contact the cache owner or your local approver. I have removed a cache with the permission of the owner and adopted 3 others when the cachers moved away, but I contacted them prior to acting. I hate geo-liter myself, but the cache does not belong to you. If is in good shape, I would leave it, if it is trash, only then would I dispose of it.

Edited by Car37&Holly

I'd be hesitant to call it there property any more (actually I haven't been out that way in a few months so it may be gone by now anyway), as they have quite obviously abandoned it. The items left in the cache were left with the itent that they get traded around a bit. Now I imagine that you could make the arguement that since everything in the initial cache was owned by the placer, then everything hidden must also be owned by them, but I do think the intent of those who traded has to be kept in mind as well. Obviously they have dibs on retrieving the cache, but I have my doubts that their e-mail address attached to their account is still active (tried to contact them about another cache of theirs that went AWOL with no luck.)

As far as contacting a local-approver, who would you suggest? How do I know who the closest approver is? I don't think anyone local actually approves caches. Most of mine have been approved by mtn-man who certainly isn't geographically 'local'.

While I can respect that the ethical views vary from one cacher to the next, there is no such thing as owning a box left on public property.

As far as I know there is no law against taking caches for the "fun" of it. I certainly am not recommending anyone do this, of course, the point is that if you know of a cache, it has been archived for 6 months and the placer of that cache isn't responding to email, then adopt it, toss it or leave it alone.

There is no law against any of these options. What is the ethical choice? That's a relative thing. We each will have different views on it with no central authority to appeal to for guidance.

I think we might be headed for some nastiness here, and I think I've gotten what i wanted, so I'm closing the thread. Thank you for your input.

(I've brought my lack of ability to comunicate with this cacher to the local mailing list, if no one can help me, next time I'm in the area I'll pick up the cache and move it somewhere else)