To The Moon!

OK, OK I know it's real funny & all. Consider how possible it is that you will end up at the top of Mount Erebus in Antartica versus spending the (potentially) $50k or so in 20 years to walk on the Moon. Of course, some of us have our own transportation. :blink:

"Why did Nature create man? Was it to show that she is big enough to make mistakes, or was it pure ignorance?"

- Holbrook Jackson

Consider how possible it is...

The GPS satellites in orbit around the Earth would not give your receiver any useful information to locate you on the surface of the moon. Not until they orbit similar satellites around the moon will it be possible to hide, and have someone else find, a cache.

OK, so I was looking at the cache called Cone Z and it hit me. "Wow, is that like, the most remote cache on Earth? I mean, how many people are going to actually GO there?" With that in mind, I did a bit of research and decided that what we needed was a New Frontier. I put together a Virtual called "One Small Step", giving the proper Lunar coords amd providing Terran coords that would take the cacher to Cape Canaveral, where it's only a quick, three-day jump to the Apollo 11 module. Think about it; within our lifetime there may be tourist trips to the Moon. I wanted to stake my claim on the first Lunar cache and I'm hoping the Florida reviewer who archived it so quickly will reconsider. What's the consensus on this idea? A whole new can o' worms? :blink:

Since you actually seem to be serious here, how about a serious response?

Let's review some of the guidelines for listing a virtual cache, and see how yours stacks up.

A virtual cache is a cache that exists in a form of a permanent object at a location that was already there. Typically, the cache “hider” creates a virtual cache at a location where physical caches are not permitted. The reward for these caches is the location itself and sharing information about your visit. Prior to considering a virtual cache, you must have given consideration to the question “why couldn’t a microcache or multi-cache be placed there?” Physical caches have priority, so please consider adding a micro or making the location a step in an offset or multi-stage cache with the physical cache placed in an area that is appropriate.

Well, why not a physical? You're talking prime territory here! 9.4 BILLION acres to hide a cache, and not a muggle to be found. Surely you could find someplace to at least hide a film canister (or lunar lander)?

1. A virtual cache must be a physical object that can be referenced through latitude and longitude coordinates. That object should be semi-permanent to permanent. Objects in motion (such as people, vehicles) generally do not qualify as a virtual cache, unless that item can be adequately tracked and updated on the Geocaching.com web site. (For example, a link to a tracker for a vehicle might be acceptable, but contact your local approver first before posting it as a virtual cache to work out the details.) If I post the cache today, someone else should be able to find it tomorrow and the next day.

Your GPS won't work on the moon. Latitude and longitude coordinates as we know them don't exist on the moon. This is a game about finding stuff on earth (geo=earth ) with a GPS. If a GPS can only get you to within approximately 238,000 miles of the cache on a good day, it's not a geocache.

A trail is a trail, a beach is a beach, a view is a view; but a trail/beach/view is NOT a virtual cache. A cache has to be a specific distinct GPS target - not something large like a mountain top or a park, however special those locations are.

Well, no GPS, no GPS target, right? I guess there is enough man-made junk on the moon you could use something like that.

2. A virtual cache must be novel, of interest to other players, and have a special historic, community or geocaching quality that sets it apart from everyday subjects. Since the reward for a virtual cache is the location, the location should “WOW” the prospective finder. Signs, memorials, tombstones or historical markers are among the items that are generally too common to qualify as virtual caches. Unusual landmarks or items that would be in a coffee table book are good examples. If you don't know if it is appropriate, contact your local approver first, or post a question to the forums about your idea.

You win this one hands down. But you need to meet ALL the guidelines for a cache, not just one out of ten.

3. There should be one or more questions about an item at a location, something seen at that location, etc., that only the visitor to that physical location will be able to answer. The questions should be difficult enough that it cannot be answered through library or web research. The use of a "certificate of achievement" or similar item is not a substitute for the find verification requirement

Obviously this means you need to go there first to collect some information about your target that can't be looked up by people who didn't actually visit your special place. So the first order of business is the actually visit the moon yourself.

Although the virtual cache is not something you physically maintain, you must maintain your virtual cache's web page and respond to inquiries and periodically check the location.

Are you able to keep going back to the moon and checking on your cache if you get a DNF?

Placing caches on vacation or outside of your normal caching area is unacceptable and these caches may not be approved. As the cache owner you are obligated to be in a position to manage your caches, and caches placed on vacation require someone else to maintain them for you. It is not uncommon for areas to be cleared, trails to be blocked or closed, objects used for virtual or multi-caches to be moved or removed, etc. You must be able to react to negative cache logs and investigate the location quickly. Please be responsible. This guideline applies to all types of caches including virtual caches.

The territory in which a geocacher is able to maintain caches responsibly will vary from one person to the next. An active geocacher who regularly visits areas hundreds of miles apart can demonstrate their ability to maintain a cache 100 miles from home. A geocacher whose previous finds and hides are all within 25 miles of their home would likely not see their cache listed if placed 250 miles away from their home.

How often do you travel to the moon now? 238,000 miles is a long way from home, but perhaps you travel past there often on business. If this is the case you should let the reviewer know.

So, if your "One Small Step" virtual cache meets all the above requirements, then yes it should be approved. If it doesn't meet those guidelines, please at least tell us why are you so special that the rules that apply to the rest of us don't apply to you.

How about an offset cache, with the first set of coords at a launching pad in Florida, and then non-gps directions from your landing point, using known locations to take bearings and point you towards the ammo-can? :blink:

nfa-jamie

Edited by NFA

Hey, thanks for all the positive posts that show just how seriously we take this game. What was that last word again? Game? OK. Thank you for the insights and suggestions. Yodadog, I logged your lunar cache. Excellent! Shows the historical and humorous side while others take things.....a tad too seriously. Love you all. Peace and signing off this thread. :blink:

Hey, thanks for all the positive posts that show just how seriously we take this game. What was that last word again? Game? OK. Thank you for the insights and suggestions. Yodadog, I logged your lunar cache. Excellent! Shows the historical and humorous side while others take things.....a tad too seriously. Love you all. Peace and signing off this thread. :blink:

OMG! I can't believe someone just insulted the hider and finders of the one of the best done and hardest to find puzzle caches in the state by logging it as a joke!

Edited by Mopar

So, since you DON'T take caching serious, are all your OTHER finds jokes too? :D

Sheesh! Here I've been working on that cache off and on for 9 months; someone should of told me sooner the cache is a joke and all I really needed to do for a find was some poor photoediting.

Edited by Mopar

Oooh, I have an employee coming back for the holiday break who is an honors student in astophysics. I just might have to ask her for an assist on this puzzle. :D

It's pretty funny considering I tell someone else on the kitchen staff "it isn't rocket science" about once a week.

The other cache suggestion belongs in the OT forum. :blink:

Sheesh! Here I've been working on that cache off and on for 9 months; someone should of told me sooner the cache is a joke and all I really needed to do for a find was some poor photoediting.

No, You need to do the work for the cache and THEN do some lame photo editing. It's not EITHER OR, it's definately AND. B)

And to the cacher that logged for a joke; Here's your chance to show some character, delete the log NOW because you must, by now KNOW it's not a goof.

Peace!

Keith.