Does Anyone Use The Garmin Foretrex??

HH,

I use a Foretrex most of the time - it's similar to a Geko 201 but even smaller and lighter. Brilliant for caching as you have both hands free (you have to get used to being in permanent wrist-watching posture when you get near a cache, though!).

The other best thing in my opinion is the battery life. Charge it up (yes, like a mobile phone, very convenient and easy - car charger available) and you should get 15 hours continuous use. No fiddling around changing batteries, either. I've never measured it properly, but I've had 10+ hours out of it and it was still going strong - not bad for something so small and light. It's easy to appear to be a muggle who's been "stood up", as well, as you don't look quite so suspicious when you're lurking about but keep on looking at your "watch"!

It's no better than the Geko in trees, of course, but no worse. You should be able to find your haggis no sweat :grin: .

HH (the Sassenach one).

Edited by Happy Humphrey
While we are on the subject of "where to buy"? My Vista's external surround rubber has split and i am wondering where to get it repaired?

Service Department

Garmin (Europe) Ltd

Unit 5, The Quadrangle

Abbey Park Industrial Estate

Romsey

Hampshire

SO51 9DL

Tel: 01794 519944

Fax: 01794 519222

Email: techsupp.europe@garmin.com

Service Department

Garmin (Europe) Ltd

Unit 5, The Quadrangle

Abbey Park Industrial Estate

Romsey

Hampshire

SO51 9DL

Tel: 01794 519944

Fax: 01794 519222

Email: techsupp.europe@garmin.com

That's information that is good to know, perhaps it could be put on the resources page?

That way it will always be there for people.

HH

No, the interface cable is different. The only resemblance to the Geko is the actual usage of the device (the screens and functions are pretty much the same).

Mine cost £155 from GlobalPositioningSystems back in July. I do a lot of walking as well as caching, and it's great for both, though I also use a SysOn CF Memory GPS (slotted into a PDA) for general navigation and where reception is tricky.

HH

I posted a thread here a couple of weeks ago for a good deal on the Foretrex ( £129 I think ).

EDIT : This one - http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...83911&hl=maplin

I don't know if the offer is still on though.

EDIT AGAIN : Offer still on, 8 left in stock. Direct link http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?Module...rldID=&doy=7m12

Edited by Roberts-tribe
Thanks, that has helped a lot. Now just to convince the good Mrs HH, (That's my Mrs HH not yours  ) that I need a new GPS, even although I don't.

The good thing about a New GPS, unlike say, a telly, PC or digital radio, is that you can generally slip it past the missus unseen. But it's a bit obvous if it's stuck on your wrist........