60c To The Rescue---

BilgeRat

On the day before Thanksgiving, I had to drive south about 50 miles to pick up my mother; the plan was to leave from our house early on Thanksgiving morning with Mom for my sister’s in Racine, Wi. When I left home it was snowing lightly, and I really did not think too much about it. Once I crossed US 30, things started getting worse, and the farther south I ventured, the worse it got! I was just north of Mom’s town (I could see the last stop light) when the right rear tire dropped in a pothole, and the rear end started coming around in the 3” to 4” of slush that was on the road. I was trying mightily to gather it back up, but I slid across the center line and was looking at the front end of a Dodge Ram pickup not too far off, but thankfully not moving too fast. At this point I just went “Ah, S#$*” and deliberately put it in the ditch to avoid an accident.

My first move was to establish that the car was OK. It was, but I was not getting out without help. Doing a quick search on my Garmin GPSmap60c revealed the phone number of a gas station just into town that had a wrecker, and I called them on the cell phone. When they answered the phone, the wrecker driver had just made it back and they said that I was #3 on the “ditch list”, and he should be to me within a half hour. They showed up after about 25 minutes, and had me on the road within 45 minutes! The trip back was uneventful after that; thanks Garmin!

Tom

Which Mapsource software are you using for these "FIND" options?

Depends on what kind of thing you want to 'find' but for business locations the MetroGuide or City Select/Navigator maps are needed and these also let you find street addresses and intersections. CS/CN would be preferred for the 60c/cs and other models that support auto-routing.

I have a 60cs and use this feature often. One thing I noticed is, if the business does not list a phone number they are not in there. I have been in front of a McDonalds that I know has been there forever, and the 60cs told me the nearest McD's is 78 miles. So I shouldn't be eating at McD's anyway. B)

I did someting similar (albeit more frivolous). McDonald's has really good coffee, however in the evenings, they usually don't have any made. I was on a trip and used the find feature to pull up a McDs. I called them when I was about 20 minutes out, and they had fresh, piping hot coffee waiting on me! Tell me OnStar can do that B)