Garmin Release Mapsource Update

For those who use it, but didn't know about it...

Garmin have recently (12/11/04) made available a beta-release update to Mapsource. The version number is 6.5b, and is accompanied by the usual disclaimers and caveats. There seem to be a large number of changes but, for Geocaching, the most important ones are:

;) Can import GPX files directly. Previous versions needed a third-party conversion utility.

;) User-definable waypoint icons.

Some issues related to routing have been fixed (and about time), but the "find address" facility is still complete rubbish.

Looks like a useful step forward, though. Link to the download page is HERE

Hth

Additional information...

Q: How do I customise the waypoint symbols?

Garmin's answer: We're not telling you .

Correct answer: The icons are stored (on an XP machine) in C:\My Documents\My Garmin\Custom Waypoint Symbols. They are 16x16 pixels and can be edited with any decent graphics software that can save as .bmp format.

Brilliant! Might save me from having to manually type in all those geocaching waypoints, since the Garmin Quest is USB and not serial ported so I can't use EasyGPS.

Thanks for the link!

Sorry if this is a wee bit off topic!!

But am I correct in saying that one can get a wee cheap 'USB to serial' connection (a couple of pound) fairly easily...however....going the other way 'serial to USB' can cost nearly thirty quid ???

Just a thought that the wee cheap green convertor connector could give mdshamilton a bit more freedom of choice??

Team Ullium.

Brilliant!  Might save me from having to manually type in all those geocaching waypoints, since the Garmin Quest is USB and not serial ported so I can't use EasyGPS.

Let's hope that helps. You don't want to be using EasyGPS if at all possible, because...

1) It's horrible,

2) er...

3) that's a good enough reason on its own.

Edited by wildlifewriter
But am I correct in saying that one can get a wee cheap 'USB to serial' connection (a couple of pound) fairly easily...however....going the other way 'serial to USB' can cost nearly thirty quid ???

I have never had any problems with the "Ebuyer USB to Serial 9 Way adaptor" from www.ebuyer.com. Its only £7.04 and works brilliantly for GPS and mobile phone applications. No need to shell out for the 30 quid convertor cables.

Quickfind code: 40608

eBuyer is one of the best online stores I ever purchased from.

I have never had any problems with the "Ebuyer USB to Serial 9 Way adaptor" from www.ebuyer.com. Its only £7.04 and works brilliantly for GPS and mobile phone applications. No need to shell out for the 30 quid convertor cables.

Quickfind code: 40608

eBuyer is one of the best online stores I ever purchased from.

Yes that is the cheap one I was talking about Stonefisk...however going the other way from Serial 9-pin to USB is the one that costs over thirty quid :grin:

Team Ullium.

Yes that is the cheap one I was talking about Stonefisk...however going the other way from Serial 9-pin to USB is the one that costs over thirty quid :grin:

Team Ullium.

Well in that case, wouldn't a PS2 to USB adaptor (which cost about a quid) be suitable? They used to ship with USB mice as an alternative connector method.

If its a PC and not a laptop, then there is likely a USB head on the motherboard (unless he got a steam powered machine) and a 2xUSB port cost about £4.00

My apologies Stonefisk...I may have it the wrong way around :grin:

The one you mentioned last that you get with the USB mouse is the cheap one I meant....and the one at seven quid odds is the one that cost me over thirty :o

...and it would appear I was ripped off big time with my convertor from RS232 to USB to allow my wife's eTrex to convert to USB to connect to my laptop or main computer. On my main computer I use the RS232 to connect to my Garmin 76 so that connection is already in use. I also have an USB 4-way plug to allow me to connect things like my printer, scanner, broadband modem, camera download, Palm download and I have had to go wireless with the keyboard and mouse to reduce the amount of cable in and around my computer :blink::grin::D

I have a shoe box now which is absolutely heaving with all kinds of communication cables with all kinds a connections....so I hope you can forgive an old codger for getting mixed up? :huh:

Team Ullium.

Edited by Team Ullium
My apologies Stonefisk...I have it the wrong way around :grin:

...and it would appear I was ripped off big time with my convertor from RS232 to USB to allow my wife's eTrex to convert to USB to connect to my laptop or main computer. On my main computer I use the RS232 to connect to my Garmin 76 so that connection is already in use. I also have an USB 4-way plug to allow me to connect things like my printer, scanner, broadband modem, camera download, Palm download and I have had to go wireless with the keyboard and mouse to reduce the amount of cable in and around my computer :huh::blink::grin:

I have a shoe box now which is absolutely heaving with all kinds of communication cables with all kinds a connections....so I hope you can forgive an old codger for getting mixed up? :o

Team Ullium.

no problem, easy mistake.

I'm in a study with with 3 pc's,1 server, 2 apple pc's , 4 monitors, 2 network routers, 1 cable modem, 2 usb hubs and several other pieces of equipment buzzing away. Wireless and wired networks all connected.. Looks like Las Vegas in here with all these LED's flashing.

Then there is the PC attached to the TV in front room, the laptop in the bedroom and the PC in the shed with the security cameras attached.

You think you got cable problems.

Getting more and more off topic, but...I only have two USB ports on my PC, but with a printer,GPS,Scanner,Camera etc I'm always plugging and unplugging. Is there such a thing as an adapter/splitter to make like much less complicated?

its called a usb hub. You can get a 7 port hub for less than £25. I have 4 port usb hubs, they cost about £12. look for 'usb hub' at www.ebuyer.com

My study today has a Matsui, Miele, Morphy Richards, 2 Bosch and 2 Creda and 1 compaq. Sometimes it has Toshiba, Cambridge Audio and Bose and 1 compaq. Sometimes it has Royal Doulton and one compaq.

All connect via built in wall points to the Hager but the compaq connects to you using some witchcraft that I don't understand, but there are no wires.

...and of course, you can daisy-chain the USB hubs just like plugging a 4-way power extension lead into another, and another...

I still have several items that still demand the serial connector. I simply got round only having the 2 holes in the back of the PC by plugging a serial extension cable in and bringing the free end round to the front (along with the firewire, usb and mini-usb cables) where it is easily accessible. I then plug the Palm dock, SP3 or Vista serial cable in as required. I have been hot-swapping these other extension cables / lumps (without the main units attached) for years without a problem...

... and I am a good customer of eBuyer too.

its called a usb hub. You can get a 7 port hub for less than £25. I have 4 port usb hubs, they cost about £12. look for 'usb hub' at www.ebuyer.com

Take care when buying a hub - some of the cheaper ones don't have an independant power supply and your PC USB port may not be able to supply enough power for all the extra gadgets connected to the port. I have a perfectly good very compact Trust 4 port unit with power supply with cost £9.99.

I have a rs232 to usb converter and cannot get my etrex to talk to anything, any advice?? what drivers are used?

Works fine on the norman serial connection.

It will probably be a clash of port problem :blink:

I think you may have to uninstall the previous settings and get your operating system to reinstall it again....or you might attempt to select a different port!!

Bill.

My apologies Stonefisk...I have it the wrong way around  :blink:

...and it would appear I was ripped off big time with my convertor from RS232 to USB to allow my wife's eTrex to convert to USB to connect to my laptop or main computer. On my main computer I use the RS232 to connect to my Garmin 76 so that connection is already in use. I also have an USB 4-way plug to allow me to connect things like my printer, scanner, broadband modem, camera download, Palm download and I have had to go wireless with the keyboard and mouse to reduce the amount of cable in and around my computer  :D  :D  :D

I have a shoe box now which is absolutely heaving with all kinds of communication cables with all kinds a connections....so I hope you can forgive an old codger for getting mixed up?  :D

Team Ullium.

no problem, easy mistake.

I'm in a study with with 3 pc's,1 server, 2 apple pc's , 4 monitors, 2 network routers, 1 cable modem, 2 usb hubs and several other pieces of equipment buzzing away. Wireless and wired networks all connected.. Looks like Las Vegas in here with all these LED's flashing.

Then there is the PC attached to the TV in front room, the laptop in the bedroom and the PC in the shed with the security cameras attached.

You think you got cable problems.

You just described my room!