Rules For New Geocachers

Recently, I have been approached, regarding rules by new cachers....

There are obviously rules we follow and also some not written, but done rules.

Do you think we could have a section under pinned, with some of these....

e.g. 1. What is a geocoin... do I have to take it.......

2. When saying I have picked up a TB, do I log its number in the log...

You get the idea !

Any other suggestions......

Lets help the new ones

Also a lot of new cachers do not even know about the Forums. Should us 'old hats' send a quick e-mail to all cachers who log their first find, saying congrats and welcome to caching, and by the way, so you know about the forums.

Does the FAQ on gc.com not cover some of this?

About the forums - not everyone is interested in the 'community' aspect of the game. And (I hate saying this), I know several prominent cachers who are not interested in the forums because of the arguing that goes on sometimes ;)

About the forums - not everyone is interested in the 'community' aspect of the game. And (I hate saying this), I know several prominent cachers who are not interested in the forums because of the arguing that goes on sometimes  :grin:

I think you are probably correct on that, but perhaps they "lurk" (what a horrible word).

A lot of information can be found in the Forums and pointing new members in this direction could be great help.

Some people are not comfortable with asking questions or joining in online.

Just my £00.02

John

Should us 'old hats' send a quick e-mail to all cachers who log their first find, saying congrats and welcome to caching, and by the way, so you know about the forums.

I don't think there's any harm sending a quick email providing that their first two or three finds include caches you actually own. I for one wouldn't have liked an inbox full of messages from people I didn't know after my first success - it would seem a bit overwhelming. But that's just me - in most things I prefer to take it at my own pace and learn as I go along.

Maybe it's something Groundspeak can do, when you first sign up, they send you a email with a link to confirm you email address (correct me if I'm wrong, it's been a long time since I joined), they could add a little note, mentioning the forums, and a link to their countrys forum. That way no one would feel pressured, or overwhemed by emails from people they have never even heard off.

Dave

I usually send a new cacher a 'welcome to the sport, mail me if you need any help' type email if they log one of my caches as their first find. It gives them some feedback as well as a point of contact within the community. I think a list of simple does and don't that could be left in caches would be a good idea and perhaps I'll make a few dozen small cards made up, have them laminated and drop them into caches...

SP

Does the FAQ on gc.com not cover some of this?

About the forums - not everyone is interested in the 'community' aspect of the game. And (I hate saying this), I know several prominent cachers who are not interested in the forums because of the arguing that goes on sometimes B)

We don't argue we have friendly disscusions. Don't we?