Entering Waypoints: Tranfer From Pc Or Manually?

Pork King

In several topics concerning which is the best GPSr, I've seem many topics discouraging those that don't have the ability to connect to the pc and d/l the waypoints, or cachers strongly recommending progs that can sort wp's and d/l them. I use the Yellow etrex, and, while it has a data port, I choose to enter all my waypoints manually. It's not that hard (sometimes I hit the wrong number, but rarely). I was wondering how many cachers enter manually and how many insist on letting the pc do all the work?

Until recently I entered all info by hand into my 60cs to get exactly what I wanted. That's REALLY time consuming if you cache a lot. I recently began using GSAK and that program makes all the diference. I can now download exactly what I want at lightning speed. Now, I have about 500 caches in my area, updated daily, loaded in seconds.

Until recently I entered all info by hand into my 60cs to get exactly what I wanted. That's REALLY time consuming if you cache a lot. I recently began using GSAK and that program makes all the diference. I can now download exactly what I want at lightning speed. Now, I have about 500 caches in my area, updated daily, loaded in seconds.

That, too. I download the 500 nearest caches I haven't found, so wherever I am in the area, it's easy for me to see if there's a cache in the area. If I uploaded them by hand, the only caches I'd have on the GPSr are the ones I was planning on hunting before a trip.

I was wondering how many cachers enter manually and how many insist on letting the pc do all the work?

I insist on the PC, thank you. I usually keep the closest 500 or so caches in my GPS, and I often update that list several times a week. If I'm traveling a bit further then my normal range, I might add ANOTHER 400+ caches to cover that area. Besides the actual coords, I have the following info stored in my GPS:

• the GC#
  • the cache name
  • the difficulty/terrain rating
  • the cache size
  • the cache type (virtual, multi, traditional, etc)
  • if the cache has a TB in it
  • if the last 3 cache logs were DNFs

Because I'm lazy and let the PC do all the work for me, it only takes me a few minutes to enter all this info for 500+ caches into my GPS. While I'm at it, my lazy self lets my PC type all those cache descriptions (complete with last 5 logs) into my PDA so I always have the cache page handy if I need it. Sure beats printing out a ream of paper every week.

I started with a Garmin 12, without a cable. I entered all of the coordinates by hand. My girlfriend looked over my shoulder to make sure that they were right. Sometimes we got distracted and didn't go caching right away. ;)

Then I got a 60C, and now download 500 at a time. What the HECK was I thinking??? ;) ;) :P

I've been caching for a little over a year and a half, my brother for two. We've both been premium members for over a year.

Soon after I was able to download PQs I used them to keep 450 caches in my GPSr at all times via the PC cable.

My brother, however, still enters each cache by hand that he plans on finding that afternoon.

I've recently gotten my hands on a PDA, and am now paperless.

My brother, however, sees it as a lot of trouble and prefers the comfort of the paper so he'll have something to write his notes on.

Other than that we're exactly alike. Heh heh heh.

Actually, when I first started out, I uploaded waypoints to my computer all the time. I actually got just about the closest two hundred caches.

I only have one port that the gps will plug into though, and several other more important things go into it also, so the GPS computer plug was taken off the computer.

It doesn't take so much time that it's horribly time consuming, maybe because I only ever hit a few caches a day, but still I think it's just fine.

But I will go paperless with the PDA as often as possible. Haha...