Caching In Killarney Park (federal Way)

JavaDuck

Hi all!

After a morning of great caching with NLS, I decided to stop and try and find the Auntie Hills cache. I parked my car and headed off to the search site, I returned about 20 minutes later and my car had been stolen. So, a good fun day of caching ends on a bad note.

Just wanted to let people who may go searching for that cache to have a heads up.

No word yet, made all the necessary calls. Roommate was home so he could come and get me. All I have to say, is whoever took it better watch out. Kharma is going to bite you back big time.

If I here anything, will give an update. So if you see a black Acura Integra license plate 247 HWY, contact the police please! If a fellow cacher helps find it, dinner on me!

That sucks. This park makes me nervous, although not as much as Lake Fenwick park up in Kent, where my car was broken into on my second visit -- on my first visit to Fenwick, there were a half dozen handwritten signs up saying "we know you break into cars and we're watching you!"

Killarney I'd always thought of as a pickle park, given the graffiti and the *cough* modifications *cough* that were made to the honey bucket. I didn't figure it for a car thief's spot.

When I was there on Friday, it was the first time that I never saw anyone else at the park. As I was searching for Lakeview, I was out of view of the parking lot, but I heard a car engine stop, and I can't say why, but I stopped what I was doing and listened for the sound of breaking glass, which never came. I didn't remember that till just now.

My car, fortunately, was intact in the still-vacant parking lot when I returned.

My mugged-at-noon-at-the-mall coworker and I don't call this place Feral Way for nothing.

Have the cops found the car yet? The urban legend I heard is that they're usually found within the first 48 hours.

That sucks.  This park makes me nervous, although not as much as Lake Fenwick park up in Kent, where my car was broken into on my second visit -- on my first visit to Fenwick, there were a half dozen handwritten signs up saying "we know you break into cars and we're watching you!"

Oh, wow. Just came from Fenwick park a little over an hour ago!

What's a pickle park? ;)

Sorry to hear that Java Duck! Makes my 3 DNF day seem not so bad... The parking lot in Woodinville I skate out of gets car prowled a lot- always broken glass and they've even hit while people are there for baseball games! There's been many a time I've come back at dusk and held my breath til I've seen my car and all its windows! It's the parking lot for Paradise Lost Book II. I hope they find it soon! Not a hazard you'd expect!

Thanks everyone for the posts and emails I have received. I've had one of the best weeks of caching. Finally found 2 tough hides that have been on my to do list for months, attending a great cache event, had 2 co-ftf's, did my first night cache, and met someone to go caching with from time to time as well. Thanks NLS!

We have a great group of cachers around here! So thanks again, for brightening up the end of my day.

Sorry to hear that Java Duck! Makes my 3 DNF day seem not so bad... The parking lot in Woodinville I skate out of gets car prowled a lot- always broken glass and they've even hit while people are there for baseball games! There's been many a time I've come back at dusk and held my breath til I've seen my car and all its windows! It's the parking lot for Paradise Lost Book II. I hope they find it soon! Not a hazard you'd expect!

That's interesting. I've stopped there numerous times and never had a worry. I'm wondering if the break-ins are due to something left on the seat for that easy smash and grab. There are a lot of bikers that park there and they seem to be pretty non-chalant about their valuables.

Yeah, and it's also the families there for little league games. The time it happened while I was sitting in my car putting on my skates, they hit a car over on the other side of the lot and it was a car where the woman had left her purse sitting out on the seat. But I've also seen the broken glass over by where the path goes out of the lot, where I park (since I'm on skates). I take all my valuable stuff with me, and I've never heard of a car being stolen there, but it's a bummer people do that. I remember getting back to the trailhead after hiking with husband to Talapus and Ollalie and a car had been broken into at the trailhead. I felt so sorry for the people who would return from a long hike to find their car burgled. It was one of those sedans where the backseats folded down and you could get into the trunk. That style seemed to be an invitation to have your car prowled.

The seat doesn’t have to fold down, I found this out the hard way. It takes only a little muscle to jerk it right out of its place and they’re in the trunk. They got my sub-woofer, which didn’t work anyway, and my Flight Engineer’s tool bag. They threw my chem gear in the dumpster.

There was a geocache related break-in at Kopachuck State Park while the cachers were hunting my “Write it Yourself” cache. I still feel bad about that one. There are signs all over the parking lot warning not to leave valuables in sight.

Maybe Groundspeak should offer Geocache Break-in car insurance?

There was a geocache related break-in at Kopachuck State Park while the cachers were hunting my “Write it Yourself” cache. I still feel bad about that one. There are signs all over the parking lot warning not to leave valuables in sight.

Criminal,

Our actions lead to our misfortune rather than anything you did. We all but forgotten the incident and I hope you can REAL soon also.

runhills

That really sucks you lost your car JD. I worry everytime I go out somewhere in the woods geocaching. I locked my keys in the car several weeks ago and AAA was able to get in in about 15 seconds without damaging anything. Anyone that wants in it only takes a second. I hope you get your car back.