Garmin Map 76 Unit ?

GPSMAP76 UNIT

My question is this is the first year I tried the unit in the woods ,seem to mark my waypoint before entering the wood hit enter to store my location.I find that it will loose the satellite signal once I enter the tree line off the main trail,am I doing something wrong?Once you loose the signal the navigation or the pointer page is gone to return to the starting point.

NO you are not doing anything wrong. NO GPSr will work under heavy folage. What you need to do is find an open space and then get distance and bearing back to you starting point then navigate using a compass. Again NO GPSr will work in the trees. The option you may try is get an external antenna, why I got a GPSMAP76, and it may halp some depending up on tree cover. Hope this helps. It is not the GPS 76 it is the trees blocking the signal.

Cheers

Depends on how dense the forest is, the water content of the trees and leaves, etc.

To improve your chances of getting reception there are a few things you can do: first make sure you have a good lock on as many satellites as possible prior to entering the forest, second make sure you have any 'Battery Save' mode turned off, third is to hold the 76 models close to vertical so the antenna is pointed at the sky and high enough so your own body doesn't block the signals.

You can also check the Satellite page to see where in the sky the satellites are located. That can help you find the best spot in any small clearing to get enough reception for a lock.

I just bough an external antenna to get better reception heavily forested canyons. My 76 does OK, but loses signal occationally, creating some bounces in the track file - not good when trying to map a historic road or hiking trail. I haven't tested the new antenna yet, but it's ~supposed~ to improve reception. You can by an external antenna inexpensively from gpsgeek.com.

Best Wishes,

Bob