Any Way To Install Garmin Mapsource To Hd?

MWPinSD

Does anyone know of a way to install Garmin MapSource maps to the hard drive so that you don't have to constantly keep inserting the discs? I have the US Topo Maps and CitySelect is on the way. Even when I just want to look at a couple things, I have to insert one of the disks.. and I am using maps from both the East and West CDs. Would love to have a workaround to save on the hassle of loading CDs all the time..

Thanks

Mark

Running Garmin Mapping without CD

From ebbo Engineering

1. First, set PC/Laptop so ALL FILES are visible.

Start/Settings/Folder Options/View tab/click on Show All Files radio button/ok.

This is because there is a hidden file on the CD called _setup.dll You won’t have access to this file unless you make it visible.

2. Create a new folder in Program files, call it say, Garmin. (Call it what u like really!)

3. Copy full contents of all three Garmin Topo CD's to the new folder.

Try Ctrl +A to collect up all the files, Copy & Paste or Drag n Drop, as you like, move them to the folder

4. Remove Garmin CD1 from PC, you don’t need it now!

4a Insert Disc 2 and copy all files to same folder

4b Insert Disc 3 and do the same thing

5. Run Setup from inside the Garmin folder you just created and install software as normal.

Now the program will access the mapping from the garmin folder instead of the CD, You will find the mapping draws very much quicker, and you don’t have to go looking for the CD anymore.

STEP 5A adding another mapsource product.

Here's what I did. Inside the Garmin folder that you created I made another new folder and named it GARMIN R&R

I then copied and pasted all contents from the ROAD & REC CD to this folder.

I then opened this folder up and clicked the setup icon. This installed Roads & Rec also to my computer and I dont need the Cd anymore to run this map product.

Further Options

6. Run update to update software to version 6.3 available from http://www.garmin.com/support/mapSourceUpdate.jsp. This installs fine and the later patches allow mobile mapping to show your current position on the PC/laptop, another update is setting the PC clock from the Satellites. Look under: Tools/set PC clock.

6.1 You can overwrite a previous install and run the software from the Garmin folder without uninstalling first. Just follow the above.

I have tested the above using both PC & laptop with Road & Recreation, it worked perfectly.

Thanks for the tip. It works like a charm. Much faster and much less hassle.

Now, my topos load up fast. However, I can't get any waypoints off the included Trip and Waypoint Manager CD. I installed it before and couldn't get anything off the CD.. still can't get any waypoints to show on the hard drive install either.

Thanks again,

Mark

Garmin is more interested in limiting the number of GPSrs that can tap into the data than the number of computers it is loaded on. I have Mapsource loaded on my desktop at home, at the office, and on my laptop. I registered all three (for the same GPSr).

As I recall, you can only set it for use with 2 GPSrs.