Micro Container

If you're going to place a micro, here's an alternative to the film canister: if any of your friends or relatives are diabetic, ask if you can have one of their empty test-strip vials. They probably have dozens or hundreds of empty ones piled up somewhere. (The brand we experimented with was "One Touch Ultra" -- I don't know whether all brands would have similar containers.)

Advantages over a film canister:

- They are watertight. We tried putting a paper log sheet in each type of container, added pennies for weight, and put them in a jar of water overnight. 24 hours later, the film-canister log sheet was soggy and the ink was running, while the test-strip log sheet was perfectly dry.

- The test-strip vial has an attached flip-up cap, so it won't fall to the ground and get lost as can happen with film can caps.

- There's a desiccant built into the cap, so it may help to keep the log sheet dry.

- They're slightly narrower than a film can (this may be an advantage, a disadvantage, or a non-issue, depending on your purpose).

Here's a comparison picture:

m1nmicros.jpg

Thats why I use 1.5oz specimen viles I get from work :P They have a metal screw on top with a seal. They are considered too small to use for some things and they are included in about any sterile kit I open. They end up getting thrown away if I don't take them home. I can fit 2 whole pieces of paper folded up in one vial with a pencil. I really do hate film canisters, but I also understand that most people don't have access to medical grade containers.

On a side note, another use for the test strip containers is they are perfect for creating a cover for the mouthpiece of a hydration pack.

When I got my CamelBak I was dismayed that there was no protection for the mouthpiece. As much crawling around as I do and simply putting the pack on the ground, the mouth piece would get dirty.

I saw where they sell a cover, but why didn't they include it?

What I did was cut the top off so it comes completely apart. Pull the bite valve off the adapter. Size a drill bit just under the size of the adapter and drill through the top. Slide the top onto the adapter, then the bite valve. If done properly, the bite valve will hold the top on. Put the bottom over the bite valve and smap shut.

With only a tiny bit of practice you can snap the cannister off, take a drink, and put the cannister back on with only one hand. No having to tuck the bite value somewhere and take the time to pull it out. Nor do you have to tuck it somehwere where it gets all sweaty.

Hope this helps someone.

Here's another possibility for a mini-micro:

microvial.jpg

It's a carpule of local anesthetic. I work for a dentist, and a long time ago, someone suggested using these to keep sewing needles in, and I've used them for that every since. The rubber stopper is easily taken in and out, although you would have to be careful not to shove it all the way in, because then it would take some doing to get it out. You could thread a piece of dental floss through it though, to help with that.

If you're going to place a micro, here's an alternative to the film canister: if any of your friends or relatives are diabetic, ask if you can have one of their empty test-strip vials. They probably have dozens or hundreds of empty ones piled up somewhere. (The brand we experimented with was "One Touch Ultra" -- I don't know whether all brands would have similar containers.)

I was at my buddy's house a few days ago (a diabetic), and I saw some of those empty test-strip containers. I am always looking for different types of cache containers, so I got a few from him. They seem to work well.

Tiny nalgene lexan jars make awesome micro-containers...they cost about $1 apiece at campmor.com, and can be found much more cheaply on ebay. Some will say, "yeah, but I can get film canisters for free!" To which I would reply, "Yeah, but they suck as longterm containers!"

If you're going to bother placing a cache, why not use a container that will last through a couple of seasons???

nfa-jamie

Remember that microcaches don't actually need to be containers.  The best microcache that I have ever seen was a magnetic strip with numbers on the front and a log on the back, on a traffic light pole passed by hundreds of cars and thousands of pedestians every day.  Amazing hide!

Team Maccabee

Where was this cache? Do you have the number?

Loch Cache

Old pencils, too short for writing comfortably, but the eraser end can be removed, drilled out and the eraser replaced. Can use old ball point pens (already hollow). Place micro logs inside hollowed area. Then, toss them anywhere where such would not be out-of-place AND ignored (around a phone booth, under a bench on a college campus etc)

Of course, the best containers come from the area of the hide . . . for instance, drill out a pine cone found at the hide area, stick in a bison tube and throw it in with other cones of the same type - evil, but provides a memorable cache experience and exhilerating find.

Remember, a small hand-operated drill is your friend when it comes to creating containers with ease and an evil glint in you eye. You will become so popular!

Edited by GRANPA ALEX
On a side note, another use for the test strip containers is they are perfect for creating a cover for the mouthpiece of a hydration pack.

Wow, that's a GREAT idea, CR.

Now I just need to wait for someone I know to get diabetes so I can get one of the vials. :)

my mom is diabetic and uses the ones the OP mentioned.

'scuse me, gotta call mom and say hi :lol:

I have got one of those test strip containers, it was used as a CITO bag container. It seems to be quiet waterproof.

Another container that I have recently been introduced to is. a 2L Pop Bottle. It looks like a test tube, it is the bottle before it is blown up and filled with liquid. I didnt believe it when I first heard about it, but it is true. I picked 5-6 of these up at the last event I attended. You just take a regular bottle cap and screw it on the bottle. It makes a great cache. They are becoming more and more often used around here.

T_H

Another container that I have recently been introduced to is. a 2L Pop Bottle. It looks like a test tube, it is the bottle before it is blown up and filled with liquid. I didnt believe it when I first heard about it, but it is true. I picked 5-6 of these up at the last event I attended. You just take a regular bottle cap and screw it on the bottle. It makes a great cache. They are becoming more and more often used around here.

T_H

Yep, those are very nice. I use them as a sig/trade item.

14f1b1d1-a039-4a75-8e4b-614e7f54bed0.jpg

Where do you get those containers Corp of Discovery? What are they called? My biggest question is how easy do the logs come out? I find mine expands when the paper is rolled. The longer it stays in the container the tighter it seems to get. Thanks for any help. I lurk all the time and get so much info from here. I want to say thanks to all that contribute.

Where do you get those containers Corp of Discovery? What are they called? My biggest question is how easy do the logs come out? I find mine expands when the paper is rolled. The longer it stays in the container the tighter it seems to get. Thanks for any help. I lurk all the time and get so much info from here. I want to say thanks to all that contribute.

I get mine from here . They are called pop bottle preforms and are big enough to stick a finger in to get the log out (about 1").

In regards to the old Kodak film cans, of which I have many, THEY LEAK! The lids are so hard to remove, especially when cold, that you practically have to use your teeth to get them open. But they still leak.

I wish that film cans were not mentioned as a possible micro container because I set out a number of them before I found out the hard way that they all needed to be replaced.

I have used the diabetic test strip containers. My daughter was diagnosed with diabetes last December. The hinge may break if repeatedly opened. I found that a little of the glue called GOOP reinforces the hinge quite well. To camouflage that container I split some of that 3M abrasive scouring pad down the middle and used GOOP to glue the smoother side onto the container. Then I painted the scraggly side with camouflage paint and it looks great!

I have discovered this plastic container for less than $2.00 at Hy-Vee. The ring is one inch across. I purchased this awesome metal version at Casey’s Gas station for about $5.00 but they are all gone from there now. :anibad:

I am going to try to cut up some plain Tyvek envelopes I have to use as tough writing material for the log.

-it

Here's a comparison picture:

m1nmicros.jpg

Looks good. If I only knew where to get them.

They're test strip containers (you knew already) made by Becton-Davis or BD (maybe you didn't know that). I have a closet full of them. (Diabetic cacher!) If someone wanted some I'd be happy to part with a few. You pay shipping and I stop using () so much... :ph34r::blink: PM me.

Edited by HugoBear

I've been tempted to use a large plastic syringe from my stay at the hospital, the 10cc size. It would be water-tight if the tip were sealed with caulking or silcone, but I think it might look too much like drug paraphanalia. It would have to be dressed up pretty good so the plunger would be disguised...as well as the line markings on it's sides.

I've been tempted to use a large plastic syringe from my stay at the hospital, the 10cc size. It would be water-tight if the tip were sealed with caulking or silcone, but I think it might look too much like drug paraphanalia. It would have to be dressed up pretty good so the plunger would be disguised...as well as the line markings on it's sides.

If you plugged the tip, you'd never get the plunger out, unless it was just barely stuck in the end, in which case it wouldn't be very weatherproof or secure.

But I wonder if there would be a way to cap the tip in such a way that you could remove the plug or cap before you pulled the plunger out? Maybe you could use an appropriately-sized wire nut or something?

These were discussed above:

35800.jpg

Cache Or Carry

So you have (6) of these serviceable, milky-white bottles - translucent HDPE plastic with a plastic screw cap, 16-oz capacity, 6-3/8" x 2-3/4" dia with a 1-11/16" ID mouth. Bulgur, wheat germ, rice, oatmeal, couscous and chocolate chips in the pantry. Ketchup, horseradish, mustard, mayo, pickles and chocolate chips on a picnic. Man does not live by bread (or grain or condiments) alone.

35800 HDPE BOTTLE $2.95 / PKG(6)

Cache or Carry Bottles

Notice the name! I wonder if that's a coincidence or if someone who works there caches?

Edited by Crusso