Want Outdoor Gps W/ Auto Option!?!? Help..

arribaperu

Okay.. Ihave been reading alot of reviews of GPS, etc.. and I am still hesitate to buy... My main use is going to be just hiking through small mountains and unexplored woods, BUT I want one that will have no problem with maps, as in, complete driving directions with an add on CD... So my conclusion is :

!) need one that has good outdoor features (do all have this, for instance, the Emap gps by garmin? is it an OUTDOOR Gps???).. Do all GPS have same outdoor capabilies besides a compass, barometer???

2) need one that accepts memory cards of some sort, seems the way to go...

3)one with mapping ability for driving directions, etc..

Now, what is the cheapest that will accomplish this? From my research, it seems I would want the Meridian Gold or Platinum, because it take SD cards..but they are expensive (I am on budget)... Is the Garmin Emap an option? the product description never mentions anything outdoor related with the Emap..

Please help.....I need guidance, and want one by christmas!!

Steve

I've got two eMaps (one is for my daughter) and they work fine as hiking/geocaching/cycling outdoor receivers, but are not very water-resistant which is probably why Garmin doesn't list them in their Outdoor category. It hasn't been an issue for me - I just take along a ziplock for rainy hikes and use an AquaPac when in my kayak.

Although I've been happy with my eMap for almost 5 years now, I'm not sure that I'd recommend it anymore unless you get a really good deal. It's been discontinued by Garmin, doesn't support WAAS/EGNOS, and has a lower resolution screen than other Garmin mapping models (but still as good as the Meridians). Also note that it doesn't automatically calculate routes for you although you can either create them by hand or calculate them on the PC and download to the eMap.

When I was shopping for my GPSr I looked at eMaps and liked them a lot. The bad news is that they're a discontinued product and they don't route. Also, they have a grayscale display.

I passed.

I then looked at the GPSMAP 60c. Nice, rugged handheld model, color screen, 56mb internal memory & quad-helix antenna. The good is that I could upload maps to it, it would route for me and I could mount it on the dashboard. The bad is that the unit itself was gonna set me back about $450 and then I'd have to buy maps, (another $60-150) depending on the map sets wanted and the car navigation kit would be another $140. That's about $750 for all I wanted.

I passed.

I then looked at the Quest. It's just a little bit bigger then an eTrex, has a color screen, is waterproof and shockproof, has 115mb internal memory, automatically routes, ships with City Select v6, a windshield mounting kit that includes a speaker, (yes, it talks to you), a USB cable and an AC charging station. Oh, and the price is just under $500.

I bought.

The eMap is NOT an option based on your autorouting and waterproof needs. It will basically just point you in the right direction leaving YOU to determine the roads to take. You can create a route on the computer and then upload it to the GPSr. But if you get off the route (miss a turn), it will leave you to figure out how to get back on it. As far as waterproofing, it can handle a few raindrops, but all bets are off if you drop it in a stream or get caught in a thunderstorm.