Map Datum

Kiwicavedweller

I went to a cache recently where the waypoint was putting me on the wrong side of a busy road and a couple of hundred meters from the cache! :P

After a phone call and my mate reading through the logs there was a different waypoint to use which took me straight there. :P

I haven't tested my theory, but I wonder if they used a different datum...?

If the datum was included, it would eliminate this possibillity. :(

Edited by Kiwicavedweller

Yes, stuff does happen and I've been guilty myself of using the wrong datum on one of my caches. Most people just use the default WGS84 datum and there is never a problem. I map 4x4 roads and use several different datums in my laptop with USGS Topo maps. Benchmark hunters also have the same problem if they forget to change their equipment back to the Geocaching datum. Once my error was pointed out to me about my cache coordinates I was quick to fix my goof.

With permission of the cache owners I've edited the cache page so that the waypoint is now the more accurate waypoint recorded by kaimaikid.

The location is up against a steep bank underneath overhanging pohutukawa trees, thus coverage is poor to marginal in this location and unfortunately it appears the initial reading didn't average accurately.

Sorry about the inconvenience.

Geocaching.com needs to make it more clear or emphasize that coordinates need to be reported in the WGS84 Datum. They do a good job of allowing coordinate entry in various formats through drop down menus, but they need to indicate in huge flashing letters that "ALL COORDINATES ARE TO BE IN THE WGS84 DATUM", or make nifty option buttons that allow selection of the datum that the entered coordinates are in, and the site will make the conversion. What this mainly does is allows the person entering the information the opportunity to double check how the data was collected and accuratly report it to the web site. I have read the lengthy small font information required to submit a cache, and no where does it directly indicate what datum to use, except in the index on caching jargen. It must be a GPS geek think, but I use gps in my profession, and normally use the nad27 conus datum for mapping. Te first cache I submitted was in that datum and I got a whole lot of emails saying I had the wrong coordinates, which I did in the wgs84 datum. Respond to that.

It used to say prominently on every cache page "WGS 84" right near the coordinates. This led to many, many people referring to the cache ID for their geocache as "Geocache #WGS 84" when trying to identify it. So, the datum information has been moved. It is still mentioned on every cache page but it is down at the very bottom.

Solve one problem, create another. Me, I'm happy not to see forum posts and e-mails saying "please check out waypoint number WGS-84."

It used to say prominently on every cache page "WGS 84" right near the coordinates. This led to many, many people referring to the cache ID for their geocache as "Geocache #WGS 84" when trying to identify it. So, the datum information has been moved. It is still mentioned on every cache page but it is down at the very bottom.

Solve one problem, create another. Me, I'm happy not to see forum posts and e-mails saying "please check out waypoint number WGS-84."

Thanks, i missed it and made the mistake on my first cache of reporting coordinates in the wrong datum and lots of people spent a lot of time looking in the wrong place and i heard about it and felt pretty bad that i was not well informed, goes with being green.