Travel Bug Network

Scout Master

Has any one ever tried to set up a network for moving travel bugs around the country? I live in Salt lake City and drive often to Idaho Wyoming and Colorado where I drop off and pick up bugs. Is anyone else doing this or would anyone be interested in getting something started.

I've never heard of anything like this but travel bugs seem to travel through caches via other geocachers.

I'd be interested and open to new travel / network travel ideas.

There is a network, it's called "geocaches". If you are planning a trip, and want to move bugs along with you, you can post in your regional forums for cachers to meet with you and pass them off. Give a date of departure, a place to meet, or a cache to leave them in and pick them up in a timely manner, and what direction you are heading.

There is a network, it's called "geocaches". If you are planning a trip, and want to move bugs along with you, you can post in your regional forums for cachers to meet with you and pass them off. Give a date of departure, a place to meet, or a cache to leave them in and pick them up in a timely manner, and what direction you are heading.

I'd be willing to carry some travel bugs around New York State for people. I do a lot of traveling (I mean a lot). So, drop them off in either my cache or a cache that I have found before, and I'll see what I can do. :D

Of course, you'll need to email me any plans for the travel bug (if they're not included already with the bug) and I'll see what I can do.

Generally, I travel the most between the vicinity of these two caches...

GCM4K5 and GC5E7A.

:blink:

It looks to me from following bug histories that people tend to go out and scoop up bugs to go along with them when they know they'll be travelling or going someplace interesting.

Incidentally, one that I released in the UK took an almost immediate thousand mile trip south the Spain, mellowed in a cache for six weeks, and just reappeared today 1200 miles north, back in the UK. Which is very cool, except I really enjoyed saying, "my doorknob is in Spain." It sounds like something from a Monty Python tourist phrasebook.

Incidentally, one that I released in the UK took an almost immediate thousand mile trip south the Spain, mellowed in a cache for six weeks, and just reappeared today 1200 miles north, back in the UK. Which is very cool, except I really enjoyed saying, "my doorknob is in Spain." It sounds like something from a Monty Python tourist phrasebook.

That's a really cool travel bug. I still cannot believe that you found it in your yard! That's just plain nifty! :blink:

There is a network, it's called "geocaches".  If you are planning a trip, and want to move bugs along with you, you can post in your regional forums for cachers to meet with you and pass them off.  Give a date of departure, a place to meet, or a cache to leave them in and pick them up in a timely manner, and what direction you are heading.

First visit to the forum, and here I find someone else asking the same question I've asked myself... I've emailed other 'cachers directly to arrange a swap before. We don't have an formally-organized caching group here in Alaska to work through - it would be nice to 'post' a TB mission on a regional website, so others could participate in the mission.

Having just returned from a trip to Lousiana & Florida where I acquired several TBs which I've subsequently discovered were on their way to places such as Germany or California, I was stumped as to how to advertise their presence & mission, beyond just placing them in a cache here in Anchorage Alaska near the airport and hope for random luck to move them on. Of course, I wish the bugs would have had mission tags attached to them as well!

A 'TB Mission' log or site would be a nice added feature to this site... (as the site manager pulls his hair out!!!) :o