I Just Felt My First Earthquakes!

1stimestar

We just had our first earhtquake! This is the first one we've had since moving up here to Alaska from Oklahoma. I was sitting on the floor in the

hallway upstairs as Olivia (my 3 year old) was playing in the bathtub (outside the

bathroom door). I was leaning against the wall. I was talking to my

mother in law in Oklahoma on the phone when I felt this jiggle, jiggle,

jiggle. It was like a washer was unbalanced. Now I knew that wasn't it

as these apartments do not allow you to have your own washer/dryer. I

called my babysitter who lives here in the same apartments and she said,

did we just have an earthquake? That was weird.

Georganne

Cool! What did Olivia think of it?

I was "in" an earthquake while camping on my honeymoon in Costa Rica and I clearly remember that tilted washer feeling. We were sitting inside the tent, and the earth rattled for about 30 seconds. We first thought a giant truck had rumbled by. Then the jungle was eerily silent. Slowly all the creatures began to make their noises again. We were in the national park and there weren't any roads, so there couldn't be any trucks. The next day we asked some campesinos and they laughed and said oh yea that was just another terremoto! I guess they have them all the time down there.

The next day, we came across a deadly fer-du-lance, later we both got Montezuma's revenge and then I almost drowned in a riptide. Now that's romance!

The first quake I remember was when I was a kid...getting ready to go to school in Kirkland...it was exciting and scarey at the same time.

The next one was in my first apartment in '81...I thought someone was jumping on the entry until the next morning when I heard the news...

I like and respect them at the same time...

Cool! What did Olivia think of it?

I was "in" an earthquake while camping on my honeymoon in Costa Rica and I clearly remember that tilted washer feeling.

She stopped what she was doing (playing) and her eyes just got big as she looked over at me and just sat there. She wanted out of the tub after that lol.

Ha, earthquake on your honeymoon makes for a good story.

I remember that unsettling feeling when I felt my first 'quake after moving to California from the East. At first I was scared, but after feeling several (up to 5's) over a couple of years, I was starting to get blase about it. Then, I was in a high-rise during the 7.1 Loma Prieta in 1989 - that was a scary shake. Next day, we discovered two of my coworkers had been killed. Took a while to get over. Now, I'm always a little more nervous than before when I feel the ground roll.

I was in the 1971 San Fernando Earthquake. What I remember was the house shaking and then my grandmother came into the kitchen. I told her she had a shakey house. That was supposed to be a 6.6 but it caused one heck of a lot of damage.

The next one I was in was in Fairbanks about 1985/6. I was walking through the Wood Center and they had heavey construction equipment doing some work. I thought a crane had fallen off the roof of the wood center. The earthquake was short and sharp. About 5.5 on the scale if I remember correctly.

Maybe the earth is opening up to swallow micros! :P

LOL...good one!

I never want to feel that kind of shakign I felt back in Feb 2001 in the Seattle area. Man that was scary....the whole house was going up and down very violently and I'm very surprised we only had one thing drop and break. Telephone poles were swinging back and forth adn others told me they could see rippling in hte streets, etc.

Maybe the earth is opening up to swallow micros!  :P

LOL...good one!

I never want to feel that kind of shakign I felt back in Feb 2001 in the Seattle area. Man that was scary....the whole house was going up and down very violently and I'm very surprised we only had one thing drop and break. Telephone poles were swinging back and forth adn others told me they could see rippling in hte streets, etc.

I was here in PDX for that one, and on a conference call to HQ up in Vancouver BC. We both felt it!

I was in the 1971 San Fernando Earthquake. What I remember was the house shaking and then my grandmother came into the kitchen. I told her she had a shakey house. That was supposed to be a 6.6 but it caused one heck of a lot of damage.

I was in Long Beach, CA when that one hit. It woke me up thinking my brother was shaking the bed and a moving truck was driving by. We were in Navy housing and that was a pretty common occurence that early in the morning. I thought it was rated at 7.1? Anyway, my mom was chewing us out that morning over something when the aftershocks started and it moved the table away from me. All I could do was laugh... and get in more trouble for it.

I'm with ya there EGH, on the '01 Seattle quake. I've been in quakes in CA and (like CFmonkey) Costa Rica (yep, with 5 active volcanoes in a country the size of Vancouver Island - the Ticos don't bat an eye), but... That 2001 quake here - I was then living on Vashon Island - Woa, that hummer was scarey! Just seemed to never end and kept getting stronger. I was frantically trying to remember if I would be safer OUTSIDE (amid falling wires/buildings?) or INSIDE (crushed beneath a doublewide manufactured home?) Well duh! There AIN'T no tall buildings on the island! :P

I was in the 71' San Fernando earthquake, and almost slept through it until a bookcase fell on me! No injury - always was a sound sleeper. Walked outside and you could hear all the gas mains breaking - pop, pop pop! The swimming pool looked pretty wicked too. The 2001 Nisqually quake was much more exciting though... I was at work at the Galvanizing Plant, and had just started up a large diaphram pump which kinda made the building shake a bit anyway, and I was absently thinking, hmmm, that pump is really thrashing... until I noticed the 10,000 gallon tank of sulfuric acid I was standing next to start to do a "Perfect Storm" imitation. Kind of a Foghorn Leghorn type of moment if you know what I mean. If you've never seen a pudgy guy do a 4.4 40 yard dash, you should have been there. Hapened to notice the 830 degree molten zinc sloshing out of the 42 foot long kettle on my way out the door. No question here on wheather to stay inside or not!

...I was in Long Beach, CA when that one hit. It woke me up thinking my brother was shaking the bed and a moving truck was driving by. We were in Navy housing and that was a pretty common occurence that early in the morning. I thought it was rated at 7.1? Anyway, my mom was chewing us out that morning over something when the aftershocks started and it moved the table away from me. All I could do was laugh... and get in more trouble for it.

I thought it was 7.1 also, but the article I looked up had a different number. Maybe I found the wrong article, or they had the wrong number.

D1,  what part of Turkey were you stationed in?  I was at Incirlik for a year in the early eighties and don't remember any quakes.  Hmm...  Peace, Nolenator

Nolenator,

I was in Izmir, you must have been very lucky Turkey is home to one of the largest fault lines in the world the North Anatolian fault. Izmir is also right on the coast so we felt just about all of them.