Cleansing Items From Caches

PC Painter

The other day I came across a couple of caches that I did a little (IMO) helpful maintenance on. In one I found raffle ticket things (you know, the kind they just tear off the roll). I almost took those to throw away (without leaving anything in trade), but decided I'd better not JUST in case their was some contest going on between a group of cachers. I DID, however, take and throw away a couple of expired coupons. I did the same at the other cache.

I know it can be hard to tell when you're crossing the line between being helpful, and overstepping your bounds. So...was this kosher or not? I mean, the coupons are expired, and leaving them would only serve to dissapoint some future cacher, who might have wanted to use the coupon, only to find it expired.

Edited by PC Painter
The other day I came across a couple of caches that I did a little (IMO) helpful maintenance on. In one I found raffle ticket things (you know, the kind they just tear off the roll). I almost took those to throw away (without leaving anything in trade), but decided I'd better not JUST in case their was some contest going on between a group of cachers. I DID, however, take and throw away a couple of expired coupons. I did the same at the other cache.

I know it can be hard to tell when you're crossing the line between being helpful, and overstepping your bounds. So...was this kosher or not? I mean, the coupons are expired, and leaving them would only serve to dissapoint some future cacher, who might have wanted to use the coupon, only to find it expired.

Completely okay in my book. If they're not going to maintain their own caches, who will? Perhaps we should all be as kind as you and help out neighboring caches every once in a while. B)

Completely okay in my book. If they're not going to maintain their own caches, who will? Perhaps we should all be as kind as you and help out neighboring caches every once in a while. B)

I was hoping someone would agree. All it takes is to crumble up the old coupon, and put it in your pocket, till you get home. We just have to be VERY careful not to take things that someone else might want. In one cache I found one of those battery test strips that come in a package of Duracell batteries. I found that to be a VERY un-classy thing to leave in a cache (makes a McToy look like a gold nugget) but, since someone else could possibly want it (though I doubt it), I left it in there.

Edited by PC Painter

Sheesh what is this world coming to?!! B) First B&B wan't to enshrine her latest cache, now you want to hide a Kosher cache!. :lol:

oh, um.. nevermind I just reread the OP, now I understand. B)

Yes, by all means remove obvious trash from caches. Of course one man's trash is another man's treasure, but I think we can all agree that expired coupons, lottery tickets, loose tictacs etc. all qualify as cache trash. B)

The golf balls should all be sent to carleep. She is preparing a special welcome home gift for mustard devil. B)B)B)

In one cache I found one of those battery test strips that come in a package of Duracell batteries. I found that to be a VERY un-classy thing to leave in a cache (makes a McToy look like a gold nugget) but, since someone else could possibly want it (though I doubt it), I left it in there.

Ha, see this IS something I would take. If I could figure out which batteries in my junk drawer were good and which ones my daughter had thrown in there while I was changing batteries out of her toys, it would be helpful and cut down on the junk lol.

The golf balls should all be sent to carleep. She is preparing a special welcome home gift for mustard devil. :P:(:P

I do seem to have become the recipient of many golf balls. I am waiting for Mustard Devil to get back to the states to do anything with them. Although I put a few in my golf bag for the hole over the creek that I always lose balls in! ;)

Anyway, I think it is fine to remove "trash" especially when keeping in mind not to take something that someone might like for some bizarre reason. Common sense rules there.

Someone mentioned owners maintaining their caches. They might have just been referring to the OP of the cache at issue having other problems. But if the reference was purely to trash removal, I don't think of constantly removing trash as maintenance. That could require a daily/weekly trip to caches since the owner can never know what is in there on any given day. So as a cache owner, I appreciate people removing the trash. I do visit my caches and remove trash when I do, but the presence of it in a cache at any given time does not neccessarily mean the owner is not maintaining it. Although if a cache has issues and is full of junk a note about it is good! I once got a note on one of mine that it was full of junk and I had just checked it a few weeks before! I went and checked, agreed, removed some things and left a few new things.

If I find a cache that is full of geo-trash, I put it in another container and hide it near the cache. I note on the website that the cache needs maintenance and needs to be restocked.

I think that is awesome! We need more good people who care about the caches they seek and try to help others accordingly. :P

If I find a cache that is full of geo-trash, I put it in another container and hide it near the cache. I note on the website that the cache needs maintenance and needs to be restocked.

My worry if you put things in a container near the cache is that if the owner is absent, it will just sit there as "litter." I recommend just removing the trash and writing to the owner. If you do leave the trash in another container nearby, I suggest posting the coords for it so someone can remove it if the owner is absent or go back yourself and remove it if the owner does not respond. Unfortunately absent owners are fairly common. :P

I think one must use caution when defining "geo-trash", expired coupons, molded wet items, candy wrappers, etc., are almost universally defined as trash..removing and discarding those items is probably generally ok. However, bestowing the "geo-trash" title on "lower level" trade items such as Mardi Gras beads, keyrings, McD toys, etc., does not always meet with the approval of the cache owner, or following cachers. Many hunt with their children and those trade items are usually big hits. If you find a cache and don't feel the ligitimate trade items therein are worthy of trading for...then sign the log and move on - leave the stickers, beads, and toys there. Trade even, trade up, or don't trade at all.

Regards,

Bill

Sheesh what is this world coming to?!! :P First B&B wan't to enshrine her latest cache, now you want to hide a Kosher cache!. :P

oh, um.. nevermind I just reread the OP, now I understand. :(

Yes, by all means remove obvious trash from caches. Of course one man's trash is another man's treasure, but I think we can all agree that expired coupons, lottery tickets, loose tictacs etc. all qualify as cache trash. ;)

The golf balls should all be sent to carleep. She is preparing a special welcome home gift for mustard devil. :P:P:)

and what, pray tell, is wrong with a kosher cache? :)

Most paper in a cache is geotrash.

I carry around a full bag with me at all times, and I *always* take out anything that's expired/moldy/broken - trash is trash.

"questionable" items, such as golf balls, I don't consider trash. And, honestly, My mother was happier than a pig in poo to find a golf ball one day, so don't think that just because you don't golf or wouldn't want one that somebody else wouldn't either. For the same type of reason, I don't consider meal toys trash. Little kids are very very very happy to find things like that.

What about items that have an obvious commercial bent to them (like an add for a store or something)? This would seem to go against the spirit of the game to me. Its a fine line though. Someone doing direct marketing left a bunch tupperware fridge magnets with their e-mail address written on them in black felt (presumably hoping to drum up some business from some tupperware consumers).

In retrospect, I wonder if this was their sig card? I thought about it for a while, and decided to trash it out and log in the book that I'd done it (although if I'd thought it might have been a sig card, I probably would have left it).

So where do you draw the line there? I mean if someone is leaving coupons for their own store in a cache, is that acceptable? I would say leaving a business card is OK, as it is definitely just a 'calling card' so to speak. A stack of business cards though? I'd say not ok (seems way too much like a solicitation of business to me).

But if a McDonald's franchise owner sets up a cache, can they put McToys in it? I'd say sure, but we're getting close to that line IMHO.

So what do you think?

What about items that have an obvious commercial bent to them (like an add for a store or something)? This would seem to go against the spirit of the game to me. Its a fine line though. Someone doing direct marketing left a bunch tupperware fridge magnets with their e-mail address written on them in black felt (presumably hoping to drum up some business from some tupperware consumers).

In retrospect, I wonder if this was their sig card? I thought about it for a while, and decided to trash it out and log in the book that I'd done it (although if I'd thought it might have been a sig card, I probably would have left it).

So where do you draw the line there? I mean if someone is leaving coupons for their own store in a cache, is that acceptable? I would say leaving a business card is OK, as it is definitely just a 'calling card' so to speak. A stack of business cards though? I'd say not ok (seems way too much like a solicitation of business to me).

But if a McDonald's franchise owner sets up a cache, can they put McToys in it? I'd say sure, but we're getting close to that line IMHO.

So what do you think?

My view is the cache HIDER is the one to worry about, as far as commercialization. I don;t care if a cache finder puts a business card as a trade or signature item. Big deal. Leaving 30 cards or such? I'd let the cache owner know about and let them deal with that. Same goes for religious stuff

Kudos to the one who trades out junk for good stuff, though. Great attitude, I hope the ones following them do the same. If everyone who was able to do so, DID so, there would be a lot less angst about junk.

The only items we take out as trash is the damaged beyond usable or obviously useless.

Some stuff we take out (not a complete list):

• Slimey, moldy, non-durable items.
  • Rusted beyond repair.
  • Bend, broken fragments.
  • Paper products torn, wadded, smudged, unreadable.
  • Dirt, twigs, other natural organic matter.

We don't make judgements on inappropriate items unless it's a live round. (A local's signature item is a civilwar era bullet--just the bullet.)

Borderline items we trade for.

and what, pray tell, is wrong with a kosher cache? :D

To this 100% goy, "Kosher" goes with "food". So a "Kosher cache" would contain banned items :blink: But maybe Kosher goes wider than Halal (the Muslim way of slaughtering meat) to embrace non-food things ?

Back on the topic: I always take lighters from caches. I cannot understand why fire-making items of any kind are allowed by the rules. If possible I trade something for the lighter (and I respect "Trade up, trade even, or don't trade" - but I'm the one defining "even" :D), but I have been known to just remove one if I wasn't planning to trade for any reason.

There, that's my violation of the spirit of the game confessed. (No, I'm not a Catholic either!)

Nick

I cannot understand why fire-making items of any kind are allowed by the rules.

Because this is an international site and you can't make blanket statements on the appropriateness of some items?

What is typically on page 3 of some British daily newpapers would be taboo in a cache in the US.

What might be perfectly acceptable in the US might be taboo in France.

Edited by CoyoteRed

Hi,

I CITO stuff that I perceive to be garbage, trade out stuff that I percieve to be objectionable or dangerous, winnow out stuff from overfilled caches, replace ziplocks/logs/pencils (and in a couple of cases...cache containers) in caches that need maintenance.

This is just the way I like to geocache, especially in my area it is important to keep the caches, and the sport in good shape and viewed in a favorable light. There are lots of ways to geocache, this is mine.

nfa-jamie

Because this is an international site and you can't make blanket statements on the appropriateness of some items?

What is typically on page 3 of some British daily newpapers would be taboo in a cache in the US.

What might be perfectly acceptable in the US might be taboo in France.

Although I agree with you about what might be acceptable locally, I didn't know that the GC.com rules explicitly allowed for any variations. It's true that I don't get upset when I find condoms or mildly rude computer games ("click the tiles to help the girl undress"), but I try to keep to the only set of posted rules which I've seen.

Anyway, I don't think the question of whether fire-starting materials should be allowed or not, is an international one (regardless of your point of view). For me, the risk that a small child might open the cache and start clicking away with a lighter after six weeks of drought, is just as much of a problem (or not) anywhere in the world (of course, this doesn't apply to where my parents-in-law live in South Wales, where two days without rain constitutes a severe drought; perhaps lighters should be encouraged there so people can keep their hands warm in June :blink:), and

perhaps an advocate of lighters would suggest that the possible benefits to someone who can now light their camping stove, etc, is also pretty universal).

Maybe I wouldn't mind so much if the lighters weren't always and without exception half-empty. A used lighter, wow. What did they "trade even" for that ?

BTW, I'm trying to think what might be acceptable in the US but not in France. I don't know if an autographed photo of George W. Bush would go down too well, but it wouldn't count as "illegal content".

Geo-trash: used Mctoys, stuff that came from quarter vending machines, golf balls, refridgerator magnets, anything wet including sig-cards, empty pens, holey zip-locs, mardi-gras beads, wacky erasers, and basically any other cache flotsam.

Many of the caches in the NoVa area are filled to capacity with geo-trash. If it is full of trash, dump it and throw in a few niceties.

In other words, you are hiding litter neatly? Just take it to the trash. You've already done the maintenance. Now there is a container of garbage in the woods. How can you be sure someone will see it and take it out? CITO!

and what, pray tell, is wrong with a kosher cache? ;)

To this 100% goy, "Kosher" goes with "food". So a "Kosher cache" would contain banned items ;) But maybe Kosher goes wider than Halal (the Muslim way of slaughtering meat) to embrace non-food things ?

Actually, in order for anything to be considered Kosher, a Rabi must witness the creation of it. So all that foodstuff that you see that's kosher - yeah, the factory has/had a Rabi running around in it.

So if you want to have your local Rabi oversee you assembling a cache and hiding it, by all means, make a Kosher Cache.

I have an idea, (bear with me here),

I could put a 55-gallon metal drum on MY property and post it as a cache:

A "Trash-Cache." People will come by and toss their cache-trash in instead of putting it in a REAL cache and then once a month (or week) I will light it on fire and post pics online of all the crap going up in flames. (I know, I know, I might have to weed out the plastic things and golfballs).... but wouldn't that be cool? Heh.

AND, cacher get to post a find!!!

the catch-phrase; "Trade down, trade even, or don't trade at all!"

I have an idea, (bear with me here),

I could put a 55-gallon metal drum on MY property and post it as a cache:

A "Trash-Cache." People will come by and toss their cache-trash in instead of putting it in a REAL cache and then once a month (or week) I will light it on fire and post pics online of all the crap going up in flames. (I know, I know, I might have to weed out the plastic things and golfballs).... but wouldn't that be cool? Heh.

AND, cacher get to post a find!!!

the catch-phrase; "Trade down, trade even, or don't trade at all!"

Cool :blink: The incindiary aspects of the cache would certainly appeal to my son :D You could post an Event Cache for the burning and get a double smiley, so to speak.

Of course, planting a cache on your own property brings up other issues (i.e. liability) that have been debated on the forums ad naseum :lol:

Of course, planting a cache on your own property brings up other issues (i.e. liability) that have been debated on the forums ad naseum :blink:

Ah, yes, good point.

So how about we put a virtual cache at our local dump. In order to log it, you have to toss at least 5 pounds of cache-trash into the heaps of garbage and take a pic to prove it.

With the exception of the obvious "geotrash," the wet stuff, the expired stuff, etc., I don't think that a finder of a cache should take it upon him/herself to "cleanse" the cache of "geotrash." Granted, most children don't own GPS's, but this is an activity that families participate in together. Kids included. On numerous occasions I have taken young children out geocaching with me, and they always have been so excited to find a cache filled with "geotrash." They also, in return for the "geotrash" they have taken, have put some of their own "geotrash" back into the cache, which just earlier in the day was painstakingly chosen to trade from what they have to choose from-their small, often plastic toys. It is not up to a finder to decide what is geotrash and remove it. Just remember, this is not an adults only activity.

The only items we take out as trash is the damaged beyond usable or obviously useless.

Some stuff we take out (not a complete list):

• Slimey, moldy, non-durable items.
  • Rusted beyond repair.
  • Bend, broken fragments.
  • Paper products torn, wadded, smudged, unreadable.
  • Dirt, twigs, other natural organic matter.

We don't make judgements on inappropriate items unless it's a live round. (A local's signature item is a civilwar era bullet--just the bullet.)

Borderline items we trade for.

This is a very good guideline for cleaning out a cache container ... I would also add any item that has been destroyed by water (usually paper based swag).

We trade out trash when necessary. It improves the quality of the swag by removing the junk and adding something of value. If we're wrong about the trash being trash, it doesn't matter 'cause it's ours when it gets tossed.

Removing apparent trash without trading is a bad idea, as previous posts have provided several examples of one cacher's trash being another's treasure. Opinions are particularly divided on promo-toys, reflecting more the opinions of grownups than those of the intended users (children!). Adults who despise Mickey-D's also despise their plastic trinkets. And they resent the fact that the toy was 'free' rather than purchased or obtained via cache-barter. Kids don't care. (Sorry for the digression--all of the snarky comments about McToys are awfully tiresome. We get it already.)

and what, pray tell, is wrong with a kosher cache? :cool:

To this 100% goy, "Kosher" goes with "food". So a "Kosher cache" would contain banned items B) But maybe Kosher goes wider than Halal (the Muslim way of slaughtering meat) to embrace non-food things ?

Back on the topic: I always take lighters from caches. I cannot understand why fire-making items of any kind are allowed by the rules. If possible I trade something for the lighter (and I respect "Trade up, trade even, or don't trade" - but I'm the one defining "even" B)), but I have been known to just remove one if I wasn't planning to trade for any reason.

There, that's my violation of the spirit of the game confessed. (No, I'm not a Catholic either!)

Nick

I'll remember that when / if I ever hunt one of YOUR caches.