Ltf,s

BlackBuck

Once I was the first, last, and only finder (well kinda) of a cache.

It seems a pirate found it first and took the ftf and left a note but never logged online.

It took me a couple of tries to get to it cause it was close to a popular camping spot but well hidden. The owner decided to move it a couple of miles before anyone else could find it.

Edited by ironman114

I can think of three LTFs that I know of. One was not often found, nobody was around when I found it, I rehid it well, and the DNF after my find was months later. So I figure I wasn't the cause. Another (not 100% I was LTF, but think I was, and am too lazy to check) got burned up in a controlled burn. So that one was not my fault either! BUT, there was one where I had to hang around tying my shoe on the trail because of people in the area. I thought it was clear when I found it, but after re-hiding it, I saw some people near the path. I don't think they saw me, and they certainly didn't see me rehiding the cache, but when I saw a DNF on it a few days later I wondered. I hope it wasn't my fault! :P

I'll have to check on my exact number of LTFs, but there is this one in particular that I feel really guilty about, one of my first dozen finds. I found it, and left a Travel Bug. The containter was a five quart ice cream bucket, and it was leaking like a sieve. The owner hadn't logged on to the site in months. I thought I'd be a Good Samaritan and go out there again and replace the container. Which I did.

The cache was hidden at an Interstate rest stop. I may have been observed replacing the cache. It may have been muggled by the maintenance crew. However, it may have flat out blown away, too. I had to trash most of the swag since it was ruined. The ice cream bucket was frozen in place and had made an impression in the ground. My 1/2 square Rubbermaid container was, in retrospect, in great danger of blowing away in the 40-50 mph winds that came up in the next few days.

Either way, I figure it was my fault. And a Travel Bug, too. I have never let it happen again.

Oh yeah, I remember another LTF now. The park rangers confiscated the cache right after I found it because the owner (also MIA) had failed to procure the necessary required permits for it. Plus, the cache was in atrocious shape. This was obviously not my fault.

One of my first finds with my brother, I was sure was going to be a LTF. It was a popular local park, but it wasn't too busy the day we were there. We were careful to watch that no one seemed to be paying attention to us. It all seemed to go well, and on our way out, when almost back to my truck, I thought I saw some kids going over to where we'd found the cache. I was sooooo relieved when someone else found it a little later! So, thankfully, no LTF's yet...just a close call.

Wow! this is not a stat that I wanted to win, but I have 8 LTF's. :P:P Two were my fault - one was on private property, I notified the owner with the person to seek permission from but they chose to archive it. One was due to the cache needing maintenance so the owner archived it.

Four LTF's were owned by the same person. I still feel guilty- no one was around for miles on two of them. On a third I had just replace the cache box and swag. I had spoken to the other family at the natural bridge because the father was interested in my Garmin RINO. He was familiar with geocaching and thought it was neat that a cache was hidden in the area(I don't think they took It but I may be responsible :( ).

I have just recently been LTF. Its was on this cache. The next two "finders" found remains of the cache, but it was whole when I was there.

I can't imagine that anyone saw me retrieve it. You can see the cache site from the freeway, but it is far enough away that no-one could have been able to tell what I was up to. That, and the cache was hiden well enough that I don't know how a muggle would have discovered it.

Oh well, I don't believe it was my fault, but still feel bad about it.

Shannon

VegasCacheHounds

We have one to our credit. It was a FTF/LTF combo. We were FTF and when we went to retrieve the cache it fell inside a hollow tree. A quick check showed it managed to fall all the way down to a hole at ground level. We re-set the cache but it must have fallen back inside. The next few cachers logged DNF's. :grin:

I was the last to find one. I went to it and put a password in the log book for a poker run on a thursday night. Saturday afternoon was the poker run. Stop 1 was that cache, stop three was my grandmother's house. I went to my grandmother's house for a little bit during the poker run, and everyone that got there was like 'it's missing'... So we went back afterwards because I couldn't believe it was missing. Sure enough it was.

There's one found after I was there because we hid a temp thing for a cacher who was visiting from out of town, so she got the last found log.

It was actually a good thing, though. The cacher that placed it was from out of town and his maintenance help didn't do a thing to it (Hello, It's soaked!), so we got it archived when it went missing.

The group of us from the PR hid a new cache in the same location.