using a machete

classic773

quote:
Originally posted by magellan315:

This reminds me of an article I read about bears. It said that many hikers carry pepper spray and sew little bells on their clothing to ward off bears. The article then went on to tell the difference between black bears and grizzly bears. Black bear poop is usually smaller and is filled with berries, while grizzly poop is larger, filled with little bells and smells like pepper. You can keep your spray and your machette, I'll stick to my 44mag. I have yet to see a forest ranger with a little spray can on his belt, plenty with a S&W.

magellan315,

Excellent quip! icon_biggrin.gif My hat's off to you (again...)

--majicman

(Always trade UP in both quantity and quality and Geocaches will be both self-sustaining and self-improving!)

quote:
Originally posted by magellan315:

This reminds me of an article I read about bears. It said that many hikers carry pepper spray and sew little bells on their clothing to ward off bears. The article then went on to tell the difference between black bears and grizzly bears. Black bear poop is usually smaller and is filled with berries, while grizzly poop is larger, filled with little bells and smells like pepper. You can keep your spray and your machette, I'll stick to my 44mag. I have yet to see a forest ranger with a little spray can on his belt, plenty with a S&W.

magellan315,

Excellent quip! icon_biggrin.gif My hat's off to you (again...)

--majicman

(Always trade UP in both quantity and quality and Geocaches will be both self-sustaining and self-improving!)

majicman I’m going to have to scold you. Geocaching, like any other sport is a serious endeavor. Humor has no part in this forum as it has no part in our lives. We must always remember to keep a level head, both inside (in the forums) and out (on the trail). If a guy wants to take along a brush hog to up his cache numbers (after all, that’s the only way he’ll get respect from those who think it matters) then I think it proper for him to ask and be belittled. We should all sit fully erect in our chairs and type with the proper fingers exactly what we think will be considered PC.

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

What is the price of experience, do men buy it for a song,

Or wisdom for a dance in the street.................

quote:
Originally posted by Criminal:

majicman I’m going to have to scold you. Geocaching, like any other sport is a serious endeavor. Humor has no part in this forum as it has no part in our lives. We must always remember to keep a level head, both inside (in the forums) and out (on the trail). If a guy wants to take along a brush hog(snip)...

Criminal,

I most humbly apologize for my insincerity. I do deeply and truly beg, ask, and request both your (and all other readers and posters) mutual forgiveness for my levity in such weighty matters of grave importance (like counting the starts, so that we will know who truly owns them.)

I offer no defense, as none seems justifiable! My posts here have been aimed primarily as self-induced, self-absorbed desire to get all of you guys and gals to like me, and think well of me.

This is totally selfish and contributes little or nothing to the deeply philosophical and well thought out topics posted herein on such weighty matters of importance.

I deeply beg all of your communicable pardons for my childishness and silly self-sustained soliloquy.

May I, in my defense, make reference to The Little Prince (although I don't speak French...)

================================================

During one of his trips to another planet, the little prince encounters a businessman who spends his entire day counting the stars, with the idea that the first to record an object on paper then owns it.

He becomes irritated with the little prince's interruptions, which cause him to lose count, and states that he is a serious person and cannot be bothered with trifles.

P.S. On the other hand - you can all go take a flying leap through a rollin' donut! icon_biggrin.gif

--majicman

quote:
Originally posted by Criminal:

majicman I’m going to have to scold you. Geocaching, like any other sport is a serious endeavor. Humor has no part in this forum as it has no part in our lives. We must always remember to keep a level head, both inside (in the forums) and out (on the trail). If a guy wants to take along a brush hog(snip)...

Criminal,

I most humbly apologize for my insincerity. I do deeply and truly beg, ask, and request both your (and all other readers and posters) mutual forgiveness for my levity in such weighty matters of grave importance (like counting the starts, so that we will know who truly owns them.)

I offer no defense, as none seems justifiable! My posts here have been aimed primarily as self-induced, self-absorbed desire to get all of you guys and gals to like me, and think well of me.

This is totally selfish and contributes little or nothing to the deeply philosophical and well thought out topics posted herein on such weighty matters of importance.

I deeply beg all of your communicable pardons for my childishness and silly self-sustained soliloquy.

May I, in my defense, make reference to The Little Prince (although I don't speak French...)

During one of his trips to another planet, the little prince encounters a businessman who spends his entire day counting the stars, with the idea that the first to record an object on paper then owns it.

He becomes irritated with the little prince's interruptions, which cause him to lose count, and states that he is a serious person and cannot be bothered with trifles.

P.S. On the other hand - you can all go take a flying leap through a rollin' donut! icon_biggrin.gif

--majicman

The original question reminds me of an incident I had at a cache a while back. Here's my log:

quote:
I found it, and I have it! I didn't ever set out to take the cache, and I don't ever do that, but things got a little weird. I was walking along the trail to the final coordinates, and stopped for a second to let the GPSR get a good solid lock. While I was standing there, a drunk guy comes mumbling and stumbling down the trail. He wanders around for a bit, and then disappears. Figuring he is gone, and that it is safe to begin looking, I wander off trail to find the cache. After some searcing, I find it, open it up and do what I've always done - look at the contents, read the log, and write my own log. As I'm doing this, the drunk guy all of a sudden reappears, crashing through the brush with a sickle in his hand, and he says to me, Have you seen my machete lying around - has a red handle? I say no, and quickly gather everything up and retreat to my truck. I didn't want to compromise the cache, and I didn't want to end up on the six o'clock news either (Cachers Dan & Janet find body in Washougal). Anyway, I figure I would read the paper and wait a while for the drunk guy to pass out in a stupor or find his machete. But after a while the parking lot kept getting busy with cars driving in and parking or people hauling dogs out of the back to go for a walk. I didn't think it would look to good to get out of the truck with an ammo box (left backpack at home). So, I headed home, but will return it this afternoon. In addition to taking the cache box , I also took a tennis ball and the key to the Nutria. I left a carabiner, a skateboard, and Tigger.

Made for a fun day - but freaked my wife out when I told her what happened.

Someone may have stated this above, but here goes! Think for a moment, the person that hid the cache in the first place didnt use a machete, chainsaw, or weed wacker when he/she hid it, did they? and what if they did, your path is allready cut and you dont need to make a new one.

quote:
Originally posted by Mudfrog:

Think for a moment, the person that hid the cache in the first place didnt use a machete, chainsaw, or weed wacker when he/she hid it, did they? and what if they did, your path is allready cut and you dont need to make a new one.

That may be true in TX where everything is brown and dry year around. However the whole country isn't dead. flame.gif

Things around here can grow a foot or two in a month. I had to archive a one star cache I hid in Feb. It maybe missing, or it maybe grown over. I'm going to look for it again in Oct or Nov.

Even if the hider cut out a trail, it could be gone in just two months. eek7.gif

Preperation, the first law to survival.

39197_400.jpg

Texas isnt just desert ya know. Believe me, we have some heavily forested areas here in the southeast. I understand what you're saying and of course i have a machete myself, however for GeoCaching i just cant see too many times when "blazing" new trails would be necessary. I guess if its a cache that doesnt get found but every 2 or 3 months then maybe it could be!

Just seems to me that Classic just wants to get out and chop stuff up, and in a park no less. In MHO it doesnt make for a good image for GeoCachers in general.

There are some other things that need to be considered.

Some of us grew up in the country, playing in the woods, hunting and fishing. Bugs and plants are no big deal, chasing animals, tracking, and hunting is part of our experience.

Others grew up in town, saw animals at the zoo, and plants at the store. A trip into deep brush can be pretty intimidating. Having a deer snort at them from close range is pretty spooky!

This post is not an us vs them post. Just that what may seem like a trivial situation to me may be a monumental happening to someone else.

We have been using the expertGPS maps feature to overlay aerial photographs on the coordinates. You can get some good information about the terrain, the lay of the land, and the location of the cache relative to trails, creeks, ponds, and roads. Might be a good way for the starting searcher to stay out of bear country.

quote:
Originally posted by classic773:

What do you guys think about using a machete in heavily vegetated areas of parks? I just bought one yesterday, after getting tangled in some vines while running away from an unseen attacker that sounded like a cross between an Ewok and Dino Flinstone.

I can't say it would be too appropriate in my part of the country, but gee, wouldn't be cool to go after a deep-jungle cache in Central America with a machete, bull whip, revolver and appropriate Indiana Jones theme music playing from your 4x4's stereo.

:-)

If you're going to bring a machete out into the woods and swing it around, be careful. Practice first where you're in reach of medical care, and always be aware of where your blade is. Bring, and wear, leather gloves - they won't stop a direct cut (I have bloodstained proof, see below), but they'll protect you from a glancing blow.

I nearly lost the tip of my left thumb icon_eek.gif while clearing a trail (on my own land, mind). Before I left the wilderness for more settled parts, I became a big fan of the woodsaw blade on my Swiss Army knife - it's slower but I can still count to ten without taking my shoes off...

evilrooster

-the email of the species is deadlier than the mail-

If you're going to bring a machete out into the woods and swing it around, be careful. Practice first where you're in reach of medical care, and always be aware of where your blade is. Bring, and wear, leather gloves - they won't stop a direct cut (I have bloodstained proof, see below), but they'll protect you from a glancing blow.

I nearly lost the tip of my left thumb icon_eek.gif while clearing a trail (on my own land, mind). Before I left the wilderness for more settled parts, I became a big fan of the woodsaw blade on my Swiss Army knife - it's slower but I can still count to ten without taking my shoes off...

evilrooster

-the email of the species is deadlier than the mail-