using a machete

classic773

I think it would be better to try to achieve a "Leave No Trace" tactic. If everyone hacked their way to a cache it would be devestating to the surroundings. An order of magnitude worse than a "social trail". If you have concerns about unseen attackers, get a gun. icon_wink.gif

... Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--

I took the one less traveled by, ...

unclerojelio

I think it would be better to try to achieve a "Leave No Trace" tactic. If everyone hacked their way to a cache it would be devestating to the surroundings. An order of magnitude worse than a "social trail". If you have concerns about unseen attackers, get a gun. icon_wink.gif

... Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--

I took the one less traveled by, ...

unclerojelio

I'm very disapointed. I've wanted a machete since I was a boy. I understand though, I don't want to trash the natural areas. However in places where I know its going to be tight, I think I'll bring it anyway, for those occasional vines that make motion nearly impossible.

Tell me your just kidding. First no one should hide a cache anywhere on public lands that required you to have to hack your way in. If they did then I would not hunt it. As far as the machete goes,sit down an really think this one out. Using any tool to cut any vegetation on the way to a cache is the ultimate slap in the face of every respectable Geocacher.

ENJOY THE OUTDOORS

icon_confused.gif I agree with BrownMule, think about this, I really don't want someone out there slashing their way around or shooting at unseen attackers. I have been too close to poachers when doing a cache and it turned to no fun real quick, icon_eek.gif if you can't get to it without weapons or tools, I would pass.

But those who wait on the LORD will find new strength. They will fly high on wings like eagles. They will run and not grow weary. They will walk and not faint.

icon_confused.gif I agree with BrownMule, think about this, I really don't want someone out there slashing their way around or shooting at unseen attackers. I have been too close to poachers when doing a cache and it turned to no fun real quick, icon_eek.gif if you can't get to it without weapons or tools, I would pass.

But those who wait on the LORD will find new strength. They will fly high on wings like eagles. They will run and not grow weary. They will walk and not faint.

for the record.. unseen attackers that sound like animals, probably are. The reason for the machete are the instances of being tangled up in stuff, not to kill anything (other than a little vegetation). Also, I don't want to start an argument or anything, but hacking vegetation isn't any more lethal than trampling it underfoot.

While in certain areas it would not be a good idea, particularly in parks and so forth....but so far as packing a machette or any other legal weapon or tool, you have the right to keep and bear arms, so long as you are not concealing it, you would be within your civil liberties.

ummmm....not sure what to say here....so ummm, well errrr, uhhhh, well I guess that's it.

icon_mad.gif The topic is not about the legality of carrying a machete for protection. The point of this thread is not the right to bear arms. The poster was considering it for cutting vegetation. Let's deal with that issue.

Geocaching can be seen in a negative light if people begin cutting their own trails through the woods. It would be the same argument if we carried shovels around digging for caches. "Leave No Trace" is simple. No cutting, no digging.

If SOME geocachers are destructive, it will be assumed that ALL are. Remember that all of our actions, taken individually, have an effect on the public perception of geocaching. Park managers would have no problem banning icon_frown.gif geocaching if a machete or shovel was standard equipment. (Or they thought it was!)

BTW even if the machete was not used to cut anything, it's the PERCEPTION that counts. You may have a right to do something (another topic), but it could create an unwanted effect.

icon_mad.gif The topic is not about the legality of carrying a machete for protection. The point of this thread is not the right to bear arms. The poster was considering it for cutting vegetation. Let's deal with that issue.

Geocaching can be seen in a negative light if people begin cutting their own trails through the woods. It would be the same argument if we carried shovels around digging for caches. "Leave No Trace" is simple. No cutting, no digging.

If SOME geocachers are destructive, it will be assumed that ALL are. Remember that all of our actions, taken individually, have an effect on the public perception of geocaching. Park managers would have no problem banning icon_frown.gif geocaching if a machete or shovel was standard equipment. (Or they thought it was!)

BTW even if the machete was not used to cut anything, it's the PERCEPTION that counts. You may have a right to do something (another topic), but it could create an unwanted effect.

Evidently the placer of the cache and others who found it before didn't need to hack their way through so there's probably a better approach. Always remember that the shortest way usually ain't the best way. (Dang, I wish I'd kept this in mind on the Old Fort cache)

Hey! No fair j, saying the same thing at the same time as me! lol

Ever notice everybody is willing to give THEIR 2 cents worth but only offer a penny for YOUR thoughts?

quote:
Originally posted by DARC:

I'm still recovering from knee injuries on a cache trip where a machete would be a good thing. Half mile of wilderness through thick brush.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=23421

We all know how brutal those event caches can be.

====================================

As always, the above statements are just MHO.

====================================

Normally I only use a machette for slicing my way towards the front of the checkout counter at Safeway. It also helps me to get the best seats at movie theaters.

This is from a brand new user that hasnt found one yet. I'm sure it's just a joke or a desire to get a flame war going. No cacher would ever hide a cache where you need to axe your way in.

Mabye dynamite would be a good thing to throw in the backpack???

Never Squat With Yer Spurs On

If by chance you are as you say, stop and think how did the person who put the cache there, get there themselves.

How did the other finders get there? magic brooms

I haven't seen a cache yet that didn't have some kind of a trail leading to it and I have seen a few. Most the people here are a good fun loving group, But if they think someone is yanking their chain, well you see how they we can be.

Welcome aboard. icon_wink.gif

All who look are not lost

If by chance you are as you say, stop and think how did the person who put the cache there, get there themselves.

How did the other finders get there? magic brooms

I haven't seen a cache yet that didn't have some kind of a trail leading to it and I have seen a few. Most the people here are a good fun loving group, But if they think someone is yanking their chain, well you see how they we can be.

Welcome aboard. icon_wink.gif

All who look are not lost

Man it does my heart (and liver and other organs) good to see sech levity and copious amounts of fertilizer being spread so thick in the discussion.

Yeah, I know, you though you were all repeling a troll with your sarcastic (but witty) comments. But still... I thought many of them were both toughtful and poinient!

My hat (with brain inside) is off to each of you funnymakers!

So, keep it up and I'll keep reading the forums.

--majicman

(Always trade UP in both quantity and quality and Geocaches will be both self-sustaining and self-improving!)

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

I think you've all been taken in by a troll. Must be the same guy who started the GPS & Red Meat thread.

What's with this Troll calling? I think the guy asked a legitimate question and everyone jumped on him. THINK about it for one second. IF the guy was an idiot he would be out there slashing trees without asking us first!

With regards to his statement about being "chased", I'm 100% sure from what he said the he was making a tongue in cheek comment about an animal.

Since I'm Canadian, when I exercise my right to bear arms I tend to get sunburned. That said, I don't have a problem with the idea of carrying an UNCONCEALED knife or even the machette if you are out in the deep woods. Let's say you did happen to be attacked by a wild dog or a chipmunk with PMS? Or perhaps you stumble on a guy running a meth lab!

One of the thinks I considered when looking for a hicking stick was how usable it would be for defence. One of the models I looked at had a really nice sharp pointy end!

What about if someone in your group fell and broke their leg and you needed to make a splint? Cut wood for a signal fire? Cut off the leg? icon_smile.gif

So my opinion is that it would be OK to carry a decent knife or machette but using it to hack through the bush to plant a cache is definatly out!

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

I think you've all been taken in by a troll. Must be the same guy who started the GPS & Red Meat thread.

What's with this Troll calling? I think the guy asked a legitimate question and everyone jumped on him. THINK about it for one second. IF the guy was an idiot he would be out there slashing trees without asking us first!

With regards to his statement about being "chased", I'm 100% sure from what he said the he was making a tongue in cheek comment about an animal.

Since I'm Canadian, when I exercise my right to bear arms I tend to get sunburned. That said, I don't have a problem with the idea of carrying an UNCONCEALED knife or even the machette if you are out in the deep woods. Let's say you did happen to be attacked by a wild dog or a chipmunk with PMS? Or perhaps you stumble on a guy running a meth lab!

One of the thinks I considered when looking for a hicking stick was how usable it would be for defence. One of the models I looked at had a really nice sharp pointy end!

What about if someone in your group fell and broke their leg and you needed to make a splint? Cut wood for a signal fire? Cut off the leg? icon_smile.gif

So my opinion is that it would be OK to carry a decent knife or machette but using it to hack through the bush to plant a cache is definatly out!

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

Leave the machete at home, just because you bought in the garden supply of Wal-Mart does not make it weapon. Think what would happen if you were a park employee who suddenly stubled across a guy with 19" machete in the woods. You'd think he might want to hurt you. When in doubt ask the local police department, as they will be the ones who arrest you. If you need a machete to reach a cahce you are doing soemthing wrong, there should almost always be a trail that takes you very close to the cache.

Personally I think this is a troll however, he has yet to find a cache and yet he went cache hunting and found one.

Classic doesn't say where he is from, but the vegetation could be Kudzu vines. Even if the cache had been hidden this spring, the area could be completly changed due to the speed it grows, however, the machete should stay at home. I think I had read somewhere that this vine can grow 200' in a year. Don't sit still too long near this stuff.

quote:
Originally posted by mrcpu:

Since I'm Canadian, when I exercise my right to bear arms I tend to get sunburned. (...snip...) Let's say you did happen to be attacked by a wild dog or a chipmunk with PMS?

mrcpu,

I love it, 3 good quips in one post!

BUT, Pointy Sticks, eh. So, you want to learn how to defend yourself with Point Sticks! Oooh, aren't we getting all high and mighty?!

Well, you just try that when some great homicidal maniac attacks you with a bunch of raspberries!

And what's all this about chipmunks with PMS, my lad. Don't you have any feelings for the poor little buggers?

And talk about cutting off fellow geocachers legs with your pointy sticks, too! Well, you make me SICK! icon_biggrin.gif Next you'll be claiming that a tiger took his leg!

(I guess I might have Pointy Stick Envy.)

quote:
Originally posted by mrcpu:

Since I'm Canadian, when I exercise my right to bear arms I tend to get sunburned. (...snip...) Let's say you did happen to be attacked by a wild dog or a chipmunk with PMS?

mrcpu,

I love it, 3 good quips in one post!

BUT, Pointy Sticks, eh. So, you want to learn how to defend yourself with Point Sticks! Oooh, aren't we getting all high and mighty?!

Well, you just try that when some great homicidal maniac attacks you with a bunch of raspberries!

And what's all this about chipmunks with PMS, my lad. Don't you have any feelings for the poor little buggers?

And talk about cutting off fellow geocachers legs with your pointy sticks, too! Well, you make me SICK! icon_biggrin.gif Next you'll be claiming that a tiger took his leg!

(I guess I might have Pointy Stick Envy.)

I'm a little late to chime into this conversation, but here's an interesting cache:

Fort Jackson

Read the September 9 log by Zapgarou, "...should have know better and brought a machete..."

and then later that day Allie Gator says "Thanks to Scott for cutting down the brush earlier in the day..."

If you look at the pics posted for this cache by several cachers, you'll see why folks wanted to use a machete.

It's not something I'd like to see, but I think it's a legitimate question.

Jamie

Clatmandu, good to here from you, just came upon your business card last night at 3 Trunk Tree.

MRCPU, kudos, you've done what many others couldn't... realize that my attacker was not human.

Everybody else, I really don't want to ruin our natural areas, our or opportunities to geocache, not do I want to argue, or extend this thread any longer than necessary. However I'll share a couple thoughts I have. In a State Park or Recreation Area I'm pretty sure there aren't any restrictions saying that you have to stay on any paths (ie you can go anywhere in the woods you want to). Therefore you can try to approach a cache from a different, possibly more difficult than everybody else, if you enjoy the challenge. Secondly, chopping the tops off of nettles and thorny plants, etc does not kill them any more than pruning your shrubs at home kills them. I think its time for this thread to die, I wanted feedback, I got it, thank you everyone. BTW, I'm not the enemy. The machete was only intended for very difficult caches, and ones where a lot of hiking was required and where I would be able to choose my own path.

I think that Classic has missed the point you can get to almost any cache by following an exsisting path and if he wants challenging ones I'm sure he can plan an expidition to a 4 star cache at least once or twice a month. There should be no need for machette, you are not Indiana Jones trying to get through the Amazon rain forest to obtain a golden idol. Living in central Florida, which is very swampy, if I bushwhack and the under growth is so thick that I would need a machete. That is usually the point where I turn around and find a different way.

Classic should seperate what he thinks and what he knows he can do. Call up the local state forest servive and ask them if you can use a machete while hiking through the woods. Also try to think what would happen if you ran across a hiker carrying a machete, most people think dangerous person with a weapon. If you are really concerned about being attacked by wild animals than think again. More often than not they will run away from you, unless you are close to a den with babies. Just carry some pepper spray and you'll be fine

quote:
Originally posted by magellan315: Just carry some pepper spray and you'll be fine

This reminds me of an article I read about bears. It said that many hikers carry pepper spray and sew little bells on their clothing to ward off bears. The article then went on to tell the difference between black bears and grizzly bears. Black bear poop is usually smaller and is filled with berries, while grizzly poop is larger, filled with little bells and smells like pepper. You can keep your spray and your machette, I'll stick to my 44mag. I have yet to see a forest ranger with a little spray can on his belt, plenty with a S&W.

I would never bring a machete into a park. But here in the Pacific Northwest there are plenty of caches (on public land) where a machete would be a handy tool to have along. I have been on a few cache hunts where the access trail had grown over with blackberry bushes. Just take a look at this cache. It has only been found once since March. Care to guess if the brush is any thicker now? The description even says you'll be blazing your own trail. Now I know that you could get to it by shoving/plowing your way through the undergrowth but it would be a lot easier to just hack your way in. Anybody who doesn't understand this simple fact has never been off trail in a PNW rainforest. We all geocache but we also live in different parts of the country/world. What may work in Texas or Arizona won't work in Oregon or Washington. We have to learn that our individual standards cannot be applied globally. I say if it's really that thick then cut through it. icon_smile.gif

"There's no need to be afraid of strange noises in the night. Anything that intends you harm will stalk you silently."

I would never bring a machete into a park. But here in the Pacific Northwest there are plenty of caches (on public land) where a machete would be a handy tool to have along. I have been on a few cache hunts where the access trail had grown over with blackberry bushes. Just take a look at this cache. It has only been found once since March. Care to guess if the brush is any thicker now? The description even says you'll be blazing your own trail. Now I know that you could get to it by shoving/plowing your way through the undergrowth but it would be a lot easier to just hack your way in. Anybody who doesn't understand this simple fact has never been off trail in a PNW rainforest. We all geocache but we also live in different parts of the country/world. What may work in Texas or Arizona won't work in Oregon or Washington. We have to learn that our individual standards cannot be applied globally. I say if it's really that thick then cut through it. icon_smile.gif

"There's no need to be afraid of strange noises in the night. Anything that intends you harm will stalk you silently."