New Kinds Of Caches

Yerocrg

Here's some ideas:

paperless caches:

the cache is a hidden item with a unique identifier. No paper log.

You prove you found the cache by getting the uniqueID and entering it on the website.

Courier Caches:

caches with an object that has to be transferred to another cache in a certain timeframe. Score is kept on players performance. Kinda like a spy game. Not the same as just moving travel bugs.

Key Caches:

hide a real key on one cache, find it to unlock another cache (with a real lock on it)

Collection Caches:

hide a ton of tokens over an area. The goal being to collect a set of tokens to reveal a final cache. Players could trade tokens for missing tokens, etc.

Janx

paperless caches:

You prove you found the cache by getting the uniqueID and entering it on the website.

Key Caches:

hide a real key on one cache, find it to unlock another cache (with a real lock on it)

We have some of those already. Check out "two towers and the black gate" where the owner wants an e-mail with the word written inside the cache box.

There is ruffridr's two travel bugs, lonny and lattie, that give the coord's for the final cache. There are lots of creative geocachers out there that make things interesting for the rest of us. B)

Ray

I don't know if this would work or not, but I have this idea for a cache...

You "hide" the cache inside of a local business. You first talk to the owner to see if it's okay, and you give instructions on the site to the cachers. When they find the business with the coords, they go inside and say a secret word to the owner. They bring out the cache, and voila. This could work with a multi-cache by putting the secret word in the redirector.

You "hide" the cache inside of a local business. You first talk to the owner to see if it's okay, and you give instructions on the site to the cachers. When they find the business with the coords, they go inside and say a secret word to the owner. They bring out the cache, and voila. This could work with a multi-cache by putting the secret word in the redirector.

From the guidelines for hiding a cache

Commercial Caches / Caches that Solicit

Commercial caches attempt to use the Geocaching.com web site cache reporting tool directly or indirectly (intentionally or non-intentionally) to solicit customers through a Geocaching.com listing.  These are NOT permitted. Examples include for-profit locations that require an entrance fee, or locations that sell products or services.

Solicitations are also off-limits. For example, caches perceived to be posted for religious, political, or social agendas may not be listed. Geocaching is supposed to be a light, fun activity, not a platform for an agenda.

Some exceptions can be made. In these rare situations, permission can be given by the Geocaching.com web site. However, permission should be asked first before posting. If you are in doubt, ask first.

I've been thinking about a "bonus" cache. Kind of a combination locationless cache and large travel bug. It would be an actual (small) cache container with it's own number. With the permission of another cache owner it would be placed in close proximity to an existing cache......like a TB too large for containers. It would be moved only by it's owner at random time intervals. When a cacher finds the listed cache there would be a note inside (as I said, original owner's permission) that there was currently a bonus cache in the area and give coords/hints as necessary. It would be an actual 'bonus' it they were limited to better than average swag - gift cards, lotto tix. WG bills, etc. instead of Mctoys. If you have nothing to leave, don't take....just sign. two smilies for one!

I have also thought about seasonal caches. Ones that could only be hidden/found during one season. Summer or winter and have to be removed at other times. These may already exist. My thought is a hide on a lake bottom that is lowered every winter and refilled in the spring.

Just some ideas. wv-yen

It's not new, but old, discontinued, and missed. The couple of still active traveling caches that I am aware of are exceptionally popular and fun. If Groundspeak could figure out way to bring back traveling caches with the problems, including appover overload eliminated, doing so would be great!

Maybe the initial approval would require an approval from GC.com and a committment of the cache owner to review each hide before it is activated. I don't know the answer, but the traveling caches I've seen have sure been fun.

Here's some ideas:

paperless caches:

Collection Caches:

hide a ton of tokens over an area. The goal being to collect a set of tokens to reveal a final cache. Players could trade tokens for missing tokens, etc.

Janx

Collection Caches:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=gc9e31

You have to find some TBs to find this cache

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.asp...mc&submit4=Find

Find some caches to get the coordinates of other caches. Trade the hints.

Nothing like this in the USA? That would mean that something from Europe will find its way to the US and that happens not very often... :P

Paperless caches: Isn't this almost the same as a virtual cache?

I currently have a multi-cache in the works where, on one leg, one must enter a store and speak a code phrase to the shopkeeper (very Bondish, like "The snows are nice in Stalingrad in the Springtime", and the shopkeeper hands them an envelope with clues to the next leg.

Here's some ideas:

Key Caches:

Janx

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=51123

The TB is the Key to a cache.

There are also some Caches there you have to find a key first to open the cache.

This one is in Dallas. There are several TB-ish keys floating around the DFW area. They are on keychains that have the coords to the cache.

Sanity

I currently have a multi-cache in the works where, on one leg, one must enter a store and speak a code phrase to the shopkeeper (very Bondish, like "The snows are nice in Stalingrad in the Springtime", and the shopkeeper hands them an envelope with clues to the next leg.

I did a similar cache but had to call a phone number and say something equally silly. Unfortunately I had the wrong number and ended up leaving a very strange message on someone's answering machine :P

paperless caches:

This would not be approved. From the guidelines:

Traditional Caches

This is the original cache type consisting of (at a bare minimum) a container and a logbook. The cache may be filled with objects for trade. Normally you'll find a Tupperware-style container, ammo box, or bucket filled with goodies, or smaller container ("microcache") too small to contain items except for a logbook. The coordinates listed on the traditional cache page are the exact location of the cache. A container with just an object or codeword for verification may NOT be approved if the cache does not also include a logbook.

What about a "magnetic cache"--An ammo box or a Tupperware with something metal glued to it, then you post the coordinates, and the seeker uses the GPS to get close to the cache, then must search the area with a metal detector?

A possiblilty, but because a lot of people dont have metal detectors, you would limit the potential finders.

Surely someone has more ideas about new caches?

Place one in a locked ammo box. Put the combination on a travel bug. You can put the complete combo on one TB, or make a series of them with part of the combo on each bug so the finder has to collect all 3 (or 4) TBs to get the combination. The TBs have to be limited to a certain geographic area for this to work.

I have one like this and have a note on the TB page and on the bug itself asking that it not be taken out of Morris County (despite this I've had to ask people to rescue it from south Jersey and Connecticut :P).

Or you can place a series of micros, each with part of the combination. You can make the micros caches in their own right (with their own page), or just publish the locations of each micro on your cache's page, which effectively makes it a multi cache.

Check here and here to see how I set up the ammo box up so it was lockable.

Edited by briansnat
Or you can place a series of micros, each with part of the combination.  You can make the micros caches in their own right (with their own page), or just publish the locations of each micro on your cache's page, which effectively makes it a multi cache.

I put these out along a series of little parks with the bonus in a larger, udeveloped park, nearby. The first three caches, each contain part of the coords and part of the combination for the bonus.

AYB series — For great justice.

AYB series — Make your time.

AYB series — What you say.

AYB series BONUS — All your base are belong to us.

Some have complained that the first three were fun, but the bonus was too hard to get to. Others have had some trouble using the combination lock, so I added instructions for using a combo lock on the web page.

Hi, I know I'm a total newb, so take this idea for what it's worth - probably not much. How about a team TB event where you break into two teams, with members spread about geographically. Someone places a TB in a cache in the middle of the two "goals" which are caches on either end of the teams geographic area. One teams goal is to move the travel bug to one end and the others is to move it the other direction. Cachers cannot meet up personally, they have to move the TB and post it. Then it's a race between the two teams to see who can get to it first and move it in their team's direction. The first team to get the TB into their goal cache wins. A team could be penalized for holding the TB too long. Maybe make a rule that they have two days from when they pick it up to when they place it.

Just an idea - it's more of a game than a new kind of cache, but it sounds fun to me.

How about a variation on the Say The Secret Word cache. This one could have commercial sponsors, though the rules might have to be changed.

e.g., a cache hidden near the business of a friend of ours who sells Emu oil and Aloe Vera products might have a secret word, Emu posted inside the cache.

By going into the business and saying the secret word, the finder would receive a free sample of the product.

Edited by valleyrat

Collection Cache

I am already planning on a new style cache. I guess it would be something of a "Collection Cache". The basic Idea is that this cache would be available to collect a certain item. I won't mention the item I want to collect (to protect the innocent and keep the suspense ;) ).

But, take golf balls for example. Someone might collect or want to put all of those golf balls that I find in almost every cache to good use. Anyone that has or finds a golf ball can turn it into an instant "TB" and take it to that cache, or one that is that much closer. Since most cachers wouldn't be aware that the item is supposed to be headed toward a specific cache, it could be put in a plastic bag that has writing of the Collection Cache's coordinates (TB tags may not be cost effective since the item has a destination that is probably not near the owner and the tags are often attached to the item in a way that renders the item useless to the purposes of the Collection Cache owner). If it were feasable, the site might have a page for Collection Cache items for cachers to review and see if they have any of the items to send on there way.

How about a virtual cache where you search your soul and find yourself? :P

Mate Cache: Search the Groundspeak forums for a suitable caching mate, maybe even "life partner." (Yeah, I stole the idea from some of the forum posts.) ;)

Out of Body Experience Cache: Hidden is a cache of peyote and instructions for an ancient Native American peyote ritual. (Watch out for the gila monster, dude.) ;)

Speaking of gila monsters and reptiles ...

Poisonous Snake Cache: Cache is hidden at the bottom of a rattlesnake den. FTF prize must be worth your life. Snakebite kit must be included. Difficulty rating must be at least 3.5. ;)

Fear Factor Cache: In addition to finding the location of the cache, you will be required to perform several stunts and eat reindeer rectum (or some other seasonally appropriate, vomit inducing delight). :P

Granted, we might have to bend a few guidelines on a couple of these but I think most of them are pretty close to being "approved."

Mystery location cache: no coordinates set. You must solve a puzzle to figure out if you're even near it. These can be anywhere in the world. Set the country and it can be anywhere within that country. Set the state/providence code and you limit the area further.

It's been nixed by Jeremy though because the beginning isn't discribed by coordinates.

(Actually, this isn't new. Letterboxing has this type of hunt.)

I've got a cache near Las Vegas that requires one to find this travel bug. The bug is a disk that has rotating dials on it which you have to rotate until the symbols line up correctly. Then you have to use the translations from the links on the cache page to decode the symbols. Then you finally have the coordinates to the cache.

Only a few cachers have tryed this one, as it is unavailable to others as long as someone has the TB. It would work better with another TB or two.

Shannon

VegasCacheHounds

I just thought of a neat, but highly impractical idea for hiding a cache. Imagine a small hot-air balloon. Using a microprocessor, an altimeter, a space heater, and energy from solar panels, it would maintain a fixed altitude. It would also have a location transmitter (the reciever would be hidden in a traditional cache). Once you have found the reciever, you would rent a hot-air balloon, go find it, sign the logbook, trade items, etc.

Yerocrg

briansnat,

the poing of the paperless cache IS to have a cache type that doesn't mess with a paper log book.

The point of this thread is to come up with new cache ideas. Because it's all about the kinds of games people want to play that gc.com DOESN'T currently support.

So quoting the rules for current caches to put down these ideas is inappropriate. These cache ideas are intended to stretch the current paradigm.

Make no doubt, no cache idea should break any laws and should follow the rules of good behavior.

But otherwise artificial conditions are made to be broken.

Another idea, that geowyz seems to be running on his site. Basically a chase/keepaway game with a magnetic token. Find the token at the posted coords, move it, post the new coords. The posters seem to have split into teams (spontaneously) and are stealing it back and forth from each other.

One could expand that idea to have actual teams, and teams would score points for duration of possession. Basically, they'd get points for being the last team to place it based on time in position. They'd lose points for duration that the token is not in play (but in transit).

Geowyz's current game seems pretty fast paced, so this could be a new genre.

Janx

I just thought of a neat, but highly impractical idea for hiding a cache. Imagine a small hot-air balloon. Using a microprocessor, an altimeter, a space heater, and energy from solar panels, it would maintain a fixed altitude. It would also have a location transmitter (the reciever would be hidden in a traditional cache). Once you have found the reciever, you would rent a hot-air balloon, go find it, sign the logbook, trade items, etc.

Yerocrg

the FCC might object to a air navigation hazard. I might be inclined to simply shoot the balloon down to get the cache down to my altitude :grin:

Cool idea though, a lot like the floating self-propelled cache somebody had in another thread.

Janx

The point of this thread is to come up with new cache ideas. Because it's all about the kinds of games people want to play that gc.com DOESN'T currently support.

Actually, the original topic starter just wrote this:

Does anyone have ideas for new kinds of caches?

I didn't infer that s/he was asking for suggestions that didn't fit within current guidelines. Many of these ideas can (and have been done before).

Another idea, that geowyz seems to be running on his site. Basically a chase/keepaway game with a magnetic token. Find the token at the posted coords, move it, post the new coords. The posters seem to have split into teams (spontaneously) and are stealing it back and forth from each other.

One could expand that idea to have actual teams, and teams would score points for duration of possession. Basically, they'd get points for being the last team to place it based on time in position. They'd lose points for duration that the token is not in play (but in transit).

Geowyz's current game seems pretty fast paced, so this could be a new genre.

Janx

This is really similar to the idea I posted above, only better thought out, more lucid, and more practical. :blink: Story of my life. :grin:

It's been nixed by Jeremy though because the beginning isn't discribed by coordinates.

(Actually, this isn't new. Letterboxing has this type of hunt.)

True. It kinda makes the search by zipcode option moot. Letterboxing is a much better place to go for this kind of concept.

So quoting the rules for current caches to put down these ideas is inappropriate. These cache ideas are intended to stretch the current paradigm.

I apologize for mistaking the OP's intent. From his original question, it appeared to me that he was soliciting ideas for caches. I missed the part about stretching the current paradigm, or indulging in fantasy. My browser must have clipped that paragraph from the OP. dadgum this Firefox, its back to Netscape for me.

Also, please let me be the first to congratulate you on your appointment as moderator of this forum.

Edited by briansnat

Actually there is a cache around here like that. I'd give you a pointer to the cache, but I don't want to prompt it being investigated (it was fun, and a local favorite). You don't have to buy anything to get to the cache, but you do have to go in to a shop. The final is in an ice cream shop. The cache owner has nothing to do with the shop owners. Kind of awkward going in there and saying, "um, I'm looking for a geocache".

Don't know how the guy got it by the approvers, but I'm glad he did :blink:

Key Caches:

Had one like that here, called musical keys by outforthehunt. There were a set of Micros hidden with keys in them. Only one of the keys fit.

Problem was though, someone muggled the final, and broke it open to see what was inside. They left the cache there, but you could then get in to it without the key.

Problem was though, someone muggled the final, and broke it open to see what was inside. They left the cache there, but you could then get in to it without the key.

This happened to the first locked cache as well (and many others as I've heard ancedotally). If you do plan to lock a cache and provide the key/combo as part of the puzzle, make sure the final container is hidden far away from muggletopia. Curiosity killed the cache.

This happened to the first locked cache as well (and many others as I've heard ancedotally). If you do plan to lock a cache and provide the key/combo as part of the puzzle, make sure the final container is hidden far away from muggletopia. Curiosity killed the cache.

Actually with things the way they are today, I'd be hesitant to make a locked box. A box in the woods is one thing. A box with a padlock is another. I've heard too many stories lately about caches being mistaken for something else, and having the bomb squad destroy them.

I put out a cache with a padlock and other parts of the multi had the combo. I decided against it because I was worried what would happen if a muggle came across it and called it into the police.

I'm a little confused on the exact focus of this thread, but if it's based on the "hunt" of the cache...

The clue is a photograph. The photograph has picture with a person pointing to the a clue, but you can't read it in the photo. The hunter has to figure out where that picture was taken and find the clue.

This was originally set to have the two pictures hidden in another photo. The photo is a picture of where the cache is hidden, but it's fairly no discript woods. Once the hunter figures out how to retrieve the photos, he has to find the location of the photos and then find the clue. The clues are distances from that clue spot to the cache. The finder has to do the calculations to figure out the two points where the circles overlap and figure out which point holds the cache. Then using the photo, find the cache.

The varients on this numerous.

It was never pursued for various reasons.