Now Accepting Credit Card Orders

Jeremy

for now, non-recurring, but we're working to allow automated recurring payments.

Due to the awful credit card processing fees, we'll be doing away with monthly (or charge a lot more for a month). However we're planning to offer a quarterly option.

for now, non-recurring, but we're working to allow automated recurring payments.

Due to the awful credit card processing fees, we'll be doing away with monthly (or charge a lot more for a month). However we're planning to offer a quarterly option.

Will the monthly option still be available for paypal?

sd

Jeremy,

Wow! This is great! I'm glad to see this finally in place.

Now, looking towards the future, I'd like to be able to buy individual one-month memberships to leave in caches as trade items. I have no problem buying packs of 12 or more of these to reduce processing fees. Will this be possible at some point in time?

Thanks for all the great work!

It will be, but we'll try to eventually wean everyone off of PayPal. However, we did promise same cost to everyone that ordered that way, so we'll continue to honor that price point for them, as long as you keep your membership current.

I'd like to be able to buy individual one-month memberships to leave in caches as trade items. I have no problem buying packs of 12 or more of these to reduce processing fees. Will this be possible at some point in time?

It's pretty cool. I like the idea of offering a free month trial anyway, but the issue is folks abusing the idea and just creating a bunch of fake accounts. We may, however, match it to a credit card user and at least stop total abuse that way.

However offering trial offers the way you describe is interesting. I'd just have to figure out how to generate codes to allow people to activate these.

It will be, but we'll try to eventually wean everyone off of PayPal. However, we did promise same cost to everyone that ordered that way, so we'll continue to honor that price point for them, as long as you keep your membership current.

That's gonna be great for people without credit cards.

sd

Was that sarcasm or just a general comment?

Checks will continue to be a valid option.

It was sarcasm, sorry. B)

A lot of people asked to be able to pay with credit cards because they can't or won't use Paypal. Some people feel the same way about credit cards (or have bad or no credit).

I personally wouldn't want to send a check either.

Can't paypal seller accounts be upgraded to accept credit cards?

Sorry for the sarcasm. It just appears to me that this will solve a problem for some users and creat one for others. Is it not possible to have both options?

sd

But their fees are better than paypal? or why try to get people to change over?

I realize there are people who will want to use it because they don't like the other options, but why weed it out? or is to keep it simple?

A lot of people asked to be able to pay with credit cards because they can't or won't use Paypal. Some people feel the same way about credit cards (or have bad or no credit).

Sorry for the sarcasm. It just appears to me that this will solve a problem for some users and creat one for others. Is it not possible to have both options?

sd

yea, paypal can be set for credit card payments (its already that way isn't it?)

ah... a question we have in common... 'why not keep paypal too?'

Never thought of this before... does Groundspeak accept payments through paypal using CC's?

If not there are NO fee's I beleive... If so there is a 1.75%(I think that is correct) fee on every transaction... not just the CC ones.

yes, i've used a CC to buy TBs.

Thats also true I think. But the fees are like 30cents plus a percentage (based on value and amount being sent to you), which go at least as high as 2.9%

If not there are NO fee's I beleive...

Not true. It is slightly higher than a merchant account.

Also, there is no real control over how subscriptions work through PayPal and their dispute resolution sucks. Some of the ways it handles expired cards (immediately canceling a membership) has created more than a handful of headaches. Then there's the customer service, etc.

The monthly option will go away and will be replaced with a quarterly option. I haven't yet decided whether to do away with PayPal completely. Some good points have been made here.

maybe after the cc stuff is automated... till then pp should be an option. I just pay off my pp balance usually, one day soon ill go yearly before pp is not an option.

i was thinking about a personal account.. oops

Edited by ralann

Was that sarcasm or just a general comment?

Checks will continue to be a valid option.

It was sarcasm, sorry. B)

sd

Debit cards with the Visa or MC logo can be used and treated like credit cards for payment.

If not there are NO fee's I beleive...

Also, there is no real control over how subscriptions work through PayPal and their dispute resolution sucks. Some of the ways it handles expired cards (immediately canceling a membership) has created more than a handful of headaches. Then there's the customer service, etc.

Thanks for getting this feature. I believe there's two categories of PayPal users. The ones that have had a problem and ones that will have a problem.

I just renewed my membership and ordered two calendars for 49 cents shipping.

Mike B)

edit: 20 minutes and my membership is updated.

edit 2: Darn, I did two orders and and could have done it in one I reckon.

Edited by mikemtn
The monthly option will go away and will be replaced with a quarterly option. I haven't yet decided whether to do away with PayPal completely. Some good points have been made here.

I like PayPal but if need be, I'd be willing to pay for a year in advance using a credit card. It's no big deal, really. B)

Some people have a problem with paypal, some people don't. Some people have problems with credit cards, some people don't. I am well aware of debit cards, etc. Some people will still not be able to or WANT to use them. Just like some people don't WANT to use paypal.

One of the big arguement against paypal has been that some people don't like or trust them, or have had bad experiences with them. What about the people that don't like, trust, can't get, or have had bad experiences with credit cards (and debit cards administered by the same companies that own the credit cards).

It just seems to me that it's not worth totally doing away with the option. It already exists, some people are comfortable (even happy) using it.

There's no reason that credit cards can't be the preferred method - but on the subscription page (I'm not sure if you can purchase anything else from Groundspeak with paypal... can you get merchandise that way??) there should be an option that says "click here if you would prefer to use paypal" and "click here for more information about subscribing with a check".

This isn't about my personal situation, I can use a CC if I want or need to use one. That's not the point. Many people can't or WON'T. That was a major issue with paypal. It just doesn't make sense to solve one problem by creating another.

I won't be broken-hearted either way they do it. I'm just glad that I have the ability to offer a suggestion on how you run your business. It's good to know that the owners care what people think. They may not use my suggestion, but at least they're taking it into consideration.

----------

I REALLY like the idea of being able to buy 1-month gift subscriptions to give to people. That'd be a great way to promote premium memberships. If you're going to totally do away with monthly - it'd still be great to buy the quarterly gift subscriptions. Show people what they're missing - maybe they'll cough up the yearly subscription themself! (If they can).

sd

<snip>----------

I REALLY like the idea of being able to buy 1-month gift subscriptions to give to people. That'd be a great way to promote premium memberships. If you're going to totally do away with monthly - it'd still be great to buy the quarterly gift subscriptions. Show people what they're missing - maybe they'll cough up the yearly subscription themself! (If they can).

<snip>

I agree with SD, gift cards would be great. Even a gift card for a full quarter (then let those folks see how life is without PQ's- heh, heh, heh).

Or, let premium members send invites like GMail does?

Some people have a problem with paypal, some people don't. Some people have problems with credit cards, some people don't. I am well aware of debit cards, etc. Some people will still not be able to or WANT to use them. Just like some people don't WANT to use paypal.

One of the big arguement against paypal has been that some people don't like or trust them, or have had bad experiences with them. What about the people that don't like, trust, can't get, or have had bad experiences with credit cards (and debit cards administered by the same companies that own the credit cards).

B) I'm confused, how do these people pay for anything they can't get at the nearest store? So far haven't you said, some don't like Paypal, some don't like CC, some don't like sending checks?

Are they paying for everything with money orders (since mailing cash is not the best idea)? or do they just not buy anything online or threw the mail???? :lol:

Some people have a problem with paypal, some people don't.  Some people have problems with credit cards, some people don't.  I am well aware of debit cards, etc.  Some people will still not be able to or WANT to use them.  Just like some people don't WANT to use paypal.

One of the big arguement against paypal has been that some people don't like or trust them, or have had bad experiences with them.  What about the people that don't like, trust, can't get, or have had bad experiences with credit cards (and debit cards administered by the same companies that own the credit cards).

B) I'm confused, how do these people pay for anything they can't get at the nearest store? So far haven't you said, some don't like Paypal, some don't like CC, some don't like sending checks?

Are they paying for everything with money orders (since mailing cash is not the best idea)? or do they just not buy anything online or threw the mail???? :lol:

I'm not sure what's confusing about this, I don't think I said anything contradictory, and if I did I surely didn't mean to do so.

Some people don't use paypal, BUT they use credit cards.

Some people don't use credit cards, BUT they use paypal.

You can USE one method (or several methods) and not use another method.

From experience, I'd say that those people that can't get it locally don't get it. This isn't about people that don't have ANY of the payment options - it's about adding one method to increase payment options then removing an old method which will decrease payment options.

One of the reasons people asked for credit cards is they can't or won't use paypal. What about the people that can't or won't use credit cards?

sd

:P I am so glad the option to pay by credit card has finally come to past. I never felt comfortable with paypal. And just in case the powers that be are interested, I paid by personal check this year. I wrote the check back in March. It took almost two months to get my membership reinstated but to this date, my check still has not cleared my bank. Maybe it has fallen behind a desk or somewhere. Who knows? But it is good to know that when I renew my memebership this year it will be a much easier and faster transaction.

Keep up the good work and thanks so much for all that you do!

Murrcat

One of the reasons people asked for credit cards is they can't or won't use paypal. What about the people that can't or won't use credit cards?

I may be wrong and maybe even out of line on this, but I think the majority would rather use their credit/debit card over paypal. But your statements just goes to show when the status quo changes, you just can't please everyone.

I may be wrong and maybe even out of line on this, but I think the majority would rather use their credit/debit card over paypal. But your statements just goes to show when the status quo changes, you just can't please everyone.

<--- :P

paypal user over here. You are right... can't please everybody... I guess it will be time for me to payup for the yearly membership BEFORE pp is taken away. I rather like paypal because I can create a "virtual cc" for a one time purchase... hehe

us paypal users still have an option...

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=p/shop/vdebit

go for it J, kill the paypal payment options :P

Now that is interesting.

I'd suggest putting a link at the bottom of the payment/subscription page that says:

If you'd prefer to pay with a check, click here for information.

If you'd prefer to pay with paypal, use Paypal's "Virtual Mastercard".

Well, maybe something like that - I'm sure you guys can figure out something that's worded better or that will work better. I do think having the info on the page will cut down on complaints.

sd

I do have to add that it may be a some sort of manual process but it went very quickly.

I upgraded my membership today, Sunday, at about 11:30 am my time. By about noon I had five PQs that I guess were in my que when I let my membership expire.

So that was a very quick turnaround. Good job!

For Online transactions there are definate advantages to using Paypal.

The main one being that you only have to trust the folks at Paypal with your credit card number (or bank account). It removes a lot of the risk for credit card fraud.

Today I would have no problem giving Groundspeak my credit card number. Two years ago when I first found out about geocaching I probably would have been a bit more leary of doing so.

I've read too many bad stories and heard about too much money being tied up by their arbitration process. With my credit card, if I have a dispute, the CC company refunds me and goes after the merchant. If I'm in the wrong, then they re-debit my money back to the merchant. Either way, I don't have to sit and wait for arbitration to complete to get my money back.

Credit card fraud can happen anytime, on-line and off-line. On-line, if I'm not given the option to enter my card for each transaction, I don't do business with that vendor. It never gets stored. That limits the opportunity.

Giving my account number to PayPal for storage makes me nervous. Giving them my checking account and routing number makes me feel very fearful for my funds. With that info, they can take anytime they want without further ado from you. If you want more info on the troubles PayPal has caused... go here.

OK, lets remember the the point of this thread is for questions about the new Credit Card Memberships and not the alleged evils of other forms of payment.

Lets stay on topic please.

You're right, I merely refuted the ills of credit card versus PayPal payments. Sorry about going off topic.