Memory And Maps

eureeky

Hello all,

I am new here and very new to caching. I have yet to purchase a GPSr and I am leaning toward the 60cs at the moment (I'm borrowing my Brother's yellow eTrex for now). I will be using my GPSr for both long driving trips and caching trips. So my questions are these:

:( Using auto-routing maps, how much of the state of California can I cram into 56 megs of memory?

:) Will loaded maps significantly cut down on the amount of waypoint/route information that can be stored or entered?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Hello all,

I am new here and very new to caching. I have yet to purchase a GPSr and I am leaning toward the 60cs at the moment (I'm borrowing my Brother's yellow eTrex for now). I will be using my GPSr for both long driving trips and caching trips. So my questions are these:

:( Using auto-routing maps, how much of the state of California can I cram into 56 megs of memory?

:) Will loaded maps significantly cut down on the amount of waypoint/route information that can be stored or entered?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Map sizes can vary. I've got MetroGuide which doesn't auto-route, but densely packed city regions can be as large as 3 or 4 MB. Perhaps someone with CitySelect can give a better estimate for that product. But I would guess you can fit a very generous portion of the state into 56 MB, if not all of it.

Also, maps will not eat into your route/waypoint storage. They are stored in separate partitions of memory.

I tried this for another cacher the other day. Map size varies by density. You can get from LA, up US 101, almost to Vellejo in 56MB. I'm betting that you could get most of northern and eastern CA loaded in the same 56MB, since the coastal cities have so much more data.

If you're interested, give me four cities marking a rectangle you'd like to try and I'll let you know the map size when I get home tonight.

California is a VERY large state! I don't have City Select on my work computer (the one I'm using now), but I do have MetroGuide on it. Using MetroGuide 5, I can fit almost all of California into 52.8MB. The part I left out was the greater Los Angeles metropolitan area!! From Grapvine (to the northwest) down to Escondido (to the southeast) is an additional 32.6MB for a total of 85.4MB for all of California!

Again, this is just with MetroGuide version 5. Factor in about another 15% to 20% for the routing data in City Select. If you truly want ALL the City Select maps of California in one unit, you'll need to go with the 76CS.

Keep in mind that you probably won't really NEED all of California at any given time. The new Beta version of MapSource allows you to create a route, and then select only the maps along that route. It only takes about 5 minutes to upload 56MB of maps with the USB port.

Edited by Neo_Geo

Thanks folks!

I can't imagine that I would ever need the entire state plugged at once. I live in Tracy, CA and on a north/south basis, that is just about in the middle of the state, so on any given trip, I would either be going north or going south, but I don't ever foresee a time that I would be driving from San Diego to the Oregon border in one shot - at least I hope not.

Sputnik 57: Thanks much for the offer. Please let me know if you think that maybe about half the state might fit (with perhaps even a little room left over for some surrounding Nevada/Oregon border areas like Reno/Tahoe. :(

I just did all of California with City Select v6 -- it is 96 maps and 122.3MB.

For City Select v5 -- it is 98 maps and 113.9MB

Hope this helps.

TheHFamily

:) Excellent info!

This tells me exactly what I need to know. It looks like 56mb might just be enough to take care of my needs. Almost all of my trips are probably going to be within the same rectangle of Fort Bragg - Reno - San Luis Obispo - Tulare, so this just may work. :(

Thanks all!!!

OK.  For those 4 cities in a square the total is 43 maps and 54.2MB on CitySelect 5 and 47 maps of 63.3MB in CitySelect 6.  Hope this helps.

TheHFamily

Big help. Thank you. It looks like I can load about half the state at a time, so a 60cs should pretty much cover me. :(

I don't have a 60. But I believe that you could autoroute the entire state without loading all the maps.

What you do is load the maps in the area you live and the area you plan to vacation in. The base map still has the major roads and highways to navigate you between the two areas. If you plan on stopping in the middle, then load the maps for that area too. That would leave plenty of space to add your topo maps.

Just an idea. For those who own the 60, does this work?

edit = clarity

Edited by Alan2
What you do is load the maps in the area you live and the area you plan to vacation in. The base map still has the major roads and highways to navigate you between the two areas. If you plan on stopping in the middle, then load the maps for that area too. That would leave plenty of space to add your topo maps.

Just an idea. For those who own the 60, does this work?

Yes. The 60C will autoroute on local maps if they are loaded, and switch to basemaps where no local maps are loaded. You could, for example, load metro San Diego and Fresno, and autoroute from point to point using local maps at the start and stop, and base maps in between.

I don't have a 60.  But I believe that you could autoroute the entire state without loading all the maps.

What you do is load the maps in the area you live and the area you plan to vacation in.  The base map still has the major roads and highways to navigate you between the two areas.  If you plan on stopping in the middle, then load the maps for that area too.  That would leave plenty of space to add your topo maps.

Just an idea.  For those who own the 60, does this work?

edit = clarity

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, a new feature in the latest MapSource Beta Update is the ability to right-click on a route and "SELECT MAPS AROUND A ROUTE". Any map segments that your route goes through will automatically be selected in an instant! This is a very powerful feature!!!

Inevitably there will be few segments that the route will go very near to, but will not be selected. Its a good idea to manually select those additional segments too.

So, I created a route from Willow Ranch in NW California down to Campo near San Diego using City Select 5. After I selected two additional map segments, the total number of maps is 35 at 46.2MB.

I'm sure the 60 will be more than adequate for your needs. ;)

Edited by Neo_Geo

Just wanted to mention that for about the same price (with the rebate currently offered) you can get a Gramin 76cs, which will give you 115mb of space. Lots of the same features, but the size of the 76cs unit is a little bigger, although the screen is about the same. If you are going to be using it primarily for driving, the larger size will not be a problem, and you get more than double the memory.. so you can put all of CA in at once.. The 60cs is a good multipurpose unit, but if I were primarily buying for the street mapping, I'd buy the 76cs in an instant... much more flexibility with double the memory.. not so much map swapping.. FWIW!!

Mark