"the Gps Made Me Do It"

Tzoid

Just a simple reminder to not always trust your GPSr. :(

news.com.au

AN elderly motorist driving along a 130km/h expressway in eastern France caused a crash when he followed the advice of his onboard GPS computer - and made a U-turn.

Police said the hapless 78-year-old driver, who was not named, and the occupants of the vehicle he ran into escaped unharmed from the collision on Sunday, but it could have been much worse.

The man told officers his car GPS had told him to "make a U-turn immediately" as he drove along lost near the town of Nancy in search of a hotel.

He did so, not realising the limitations of his satellite navigation device, which guides using verbal directions.

"It's not the first time we've had a GPS incident," one of the officers said, recalling the time a police vehicle found itself face-to-face with a motorist going the wrong way in accordance with his computer's instructions.

Yeah, I've had the gadget tell me that the cache was out in the middle of a river, or off the edge of a cliff.

I have a GPS in my car, too, like the poor schmoe in the story. Not withstanding the need to actually think about what you are doing, the device is quite remarkable, and the directions it gives are usually quite accurate. Now and then, however, it wants me to go down a one-way street the wrong way.