Leaving Sig Items

kc8hnz

Chainmail_ball.jpg

Here is a picture of one of my chainmail balls that I leave in caches. Below is one of the pouches I often leave as a FTF prize, or if it is a cache I really like. Please note I have been using this pouch as a dice bag for many years so it is not very shiny.

16586mvc-002f.jpg

Edited by Fergus

It took me 7 caches. I happened to be in the vicinity of this one and didn't realize it was a micro and I needed to bring my own pen or pencil until I found it. (I didn't read the log completely.) Anyway, right after the DNF on this cache, I made labels and put them in my fanny pack with the intent to use this as a log notation in the event I forgot to bring a writing utensil. (I tried every piece of dirt, stick and leaf to make a mark that day.) Anyway, the rest is history, I made a signature card for the larger caches for the same reason, and I merely started dropping them off at every cache. The key tags are just an evolutionary step on my signature items.

Shortly afterwards, when I thought I had a writing utensil, it turned out I didn't, and used my label to log this one.

After about 10 or so caches we started leaving a spark plug gapper as my signature item. I am really into cars and I thought it was appropriate, and they will fit in almost any cache. Of course that is usually left along with other things that we put in the caches so that when we take something good out we leave something good, and invariably what we take out finds its way into another cache somewhere down the line.

I think it was around fifty, maybe higher, before I realized what I wanted to leave. Then I did another dozen or so before I had all the parts (mostly waiting for a rubberstamp).

There are two things I especially like about mine (world coins in coin envelopes): people seem to like them, and they're small. So I can throw half a dozen of them in my PDA case and fit them into very small caches.

Only after 3 finds. :P I read this thread and got the idea. I've printed up labels for micros, and I will be printing up cards for the regular-sized ones that aren't themed. The cards will take awhile as I have to get an ink cartridge and convince my mom that they need to be laminated. I'll be using the labels along with items in reg-sized.

Edited by Dragonfire870

some of my local cachers change signatures periodically. kahja and okillezzzz both make very nice ones. she has an ever-changing repertoire, and although i've seen most of them up close and personal, i don't have any i didn't find in the wild, so i don't have one of each kind.

i have some basic kinds: i pound pennies and engrave my name on them, i put little beads i made in a bag, i leave a very strong little magnet, or i leave a bootleg cd of music and/or stories i've written or arranged.

i love to see physical signatures. i'm not wild about cards, with very few exceptions. i will jump at any handmade of handpainted item, regardless of the skill of the artist. i'm all over numbered items.

well-known or collectible cachers particularly interest me. your signature needn't be complex, nor should you wait forever. today's newbie is tomorrow's legend.

It is never too late! I got a sig item after caching for a year or so. Also, as others have mentioned, some people change items from time to time. I over bought engraved pencils and found that after the locals initially took them, they sat in caches (who needs a ton of the same pencil?). So then I added pencil toppers. Now those have gotten kind of stale, so I am looking for something new. I would like to do handpainted rocks or painted origami animals, but since I take some time on those, they won't go in every cache. I am also looking at having coins made, but I am kind of at a loss about setting up a tracking web site. Although I guess I could not track them since people like to keep coins anyway. Finally, I am considering different pencil toppers. That might be my short term solution or solution for many caches, and then I will leave the handmade stuff or coins in favorite caches. :P

For those who leave sig items, after how many finds did you decide to make a personalized one for yourself? Having found 172 over the past year, do you think its too late to come up with one for myself, or is never too late.

I think I started after 10-20 caches.

I started with silver halves(40) and dollars (20) , then buttons from honeychile (about 70), then calendar cards from wundercards.com (another 20 or 30), and now I ordered 75 personalized LED flashlights.

I change mine every now and then, so folks can collect more than 1 type of thing.

I find more caches than we have unique cachers around here, and I'd hate for my signature items to just rot in caches because everyone already has one.

It is never too late to start.

(I only take signature items, unless my family is with me.)

Edited by DustyJacket