Metal Detectors And Geocaching

archeangelsk2002

im thinking about adding a  metal detector to my geocaching obsession.

I've wanted one for years, but not for caching. As geeky hobbies go, I find that one pretty appealing.

What put me off was the expense. Don't you need a good one for it to be any use at all for things smaller than ammo cans?

I'm in the same boat Auntie! I've wanted one for a long time.. last year Sears was clearing some out, and there was one which had a regular price of $150 on for about $50. I ordered it, and was immediately disapointed. The quality of construction was beyond abysmal! Once I got back from Wal-Mart with the requisite 4 9V batteries the thing required, I took it outside. I calibrated exactly according to the instructions... eh, voila! Nothing, nada, nope, zero, zilch.... that thing couldn't find a needle in a needle stack! I took a 10d framining nail, placed in on the ground, and passed the detector over it. It had to pass within 6" of it before it would even register. You can bet that went back in a hurry. After some research, it seems that you really need to spend $500+ to get something of quality and reliability.... maybe next year. :(

Ihave a Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II. I dont use it while out geocaching, but some of these areas I go are pretty good places to be using a detector. They are high traffice areas, some places are near old buildings etc... I have found from reading through some of the metal detecting fourms that the really cheap detectors are nothing but garbage. My Bounty Hunter was 223 dollars and I am pleased with it. It supposedly can find items as deep as a foot, of course that depends on the size of the item. You find much more junk than you do anything of value though. You have to be aware of that when you get into it, otherwise you will be very dissappointed. Good Luck.

As the former owner of the world's largest metal detector retailer, and the founder ot one of the first treasure hunting clubs, I can offer some insight into metal detecting/treasure hunting.

Although my Garrett GTI-2500 always accompanies me on my geocaching trips, it's almost unheard of to find a site where the detector can be used in locating the cache, but . . .

Many, many rural caches offer a perfect location for metal detecting. When I see a description such as, "This is near the old home place of Jamieson Farm..." I always envision a few minutes of "real" treasure hunting. To sum it up, I have never used my detector around an old abandoned house place, that I didn't find at least one treasure -- old coin, metal toy, etc.

There are few thrills more exciting than hearing a sexy female voice emanating from the box below my hand saying, "Quarter -- six inches!" The GTI-2500 is a GREAT MACHINE!

Recommendation?

Buy the most expensive Garrett machine you can afford -- they come from $99 to around $3000. My GTI-2500 cost $1,200 three years ago. There's a reason Garret was chosen for airport security. IMO It's the best!

The photo below was taken in my store, Arlington (Texas) Electronic Center, during the heyday of Metal Detecting (1972). The detectors shown are a group of White's machines. The line that I sold included White's Electronics, D-Tex, Garrett, Fisher, Surplus Mine Detectors, and a few real cheapies including dowsing sticks made from whale bone.

MetalDetector5.jpg

Edited by valleyrat

I went to find a cache at the former Sunnybank estate of the famous author, Albert Payson Terhune. It was also the site of a Continental Army encampment during the Revolutionary War.

My brother met me there with his metal detector and was eager to find either relics from the Terhune years, or from the army camp. In two hours of hunting, he turned up a dozen old bottle caps and a few rusty nails.

Ok, my question is-I got a metal detector for Christmas 2 years ago and so far I have only used it in my yard because I don't know where it is legal to do so. There is a ton of Army Corps of Engineer land near me. There are lots of abandoned houses. City parks. Where is it ok to use the metal detector-I don't want a cop pulling up and taking it away from me!!! B)

Although my Garrett GTI-2500 always accompanies me on my geocaching trips, it's almost unheard of to find a site where the detector can be used in locating the cache, but . . .

Maybe not in Texas, but here in snow country, a metal detector would come in handy during the winter caching season. Even if the cache is tupperjunk, there's likely SOMETHING metal inside it that'd be big enough for a detector to find under the snow....