Backpacks & Moth?

Blue Contrails

What fabrics are mothproof? Can moth eat into denier? What about other fabrics like Dupont Cordura? I took out a backpack I had in storage and it's got some white spots on it. I'm trying to find out if they are moth related.

It's probably mold or mildew. Does is smell moldy?

Or the waterproof coating is de-laminating at those points. My back packs have whitish creases in them where they folded and bent.

I have not noticed any decrease in their usefulness or dryness.

hth

HWyatt

What's a good way to contain mold or mildew then? I could machine wash the backpack or I could clean the few spots with some rubbing alcohol. I don't want whatever these spots are to spread through the backpack or clothes I might put in it though.

I have wiped the sticky honey off my backpack...

I've left it in the sunshine to air after spraying it with lysol....

I've done nothing but jam my clothes back into it and head out.

All have ended the same. The cloths stink like a gym when I come home, I wash & dry them and put them away. The back pack gets crammed someplace outta sight.

Bottom line...I don't think it's a problem. Let it air out, wipe it clean, and it should be okay.

I wouldn't worry about it. Some of my backpacks are 20+ years and are fine as are my clothes and equipment.

hth

HWyatt

If you're really worried about it, some disinfectant spray will take care of anything living on the backpack, be it mold, mildew, or bacteria. It could be Lysol or a store brand, makes no difference. Down here in SE Texas we get it all the time - just leave something lying around and mold and mildew will start to grow on it. Mostly I just brush it off.

i'd be cautious using chemicals on your backpack as they may cause the waterproof coating to delaminate. if you need to clean your backpack the best thing to use is a mild soap (not detergent) and water. hang it to dry (no dryers) and store it in a well ventilated place. good luck. -harry