Does Anyone Use A Bluetooth Gps For Geocaching?

Marky

I know it's possible, since I've done it. I'm just looking to see if anyone else has. I'd be interested to hear about how you use it. I'm trying to figure out what is the most convenient way to hold it while geocaching. It seems to like to be "face up" for best signal, so I can't just have it in a shirt pocket. I likes being on my shoulder, but I haven't figured out a convenient way to keep it there. I'm sure if I have my daypack on, I could attach it to the shoulder strap.

So, any tips, tricks, etc.?

--Marky

Marky,

I have a friend who has a blue tooth GPS, but he isn't into geocaching. What he usually does is toss the bluetooth-gps device into his backpack... usually in the pouch of his backpack.

I would suggest sewing a little pocket for the bluetooth device inside the pouch so it doesn't accidentally fall out. As for your PDA, get a velcro pouch that you can attach to your back pack shoulder strap (REI usually sells these things).

I used a Delorme Bluetooth GPS for my first few finds, in conjunction with a Pocket PC. The software I was using wasn't so great, so I didn't have a pointer or anything to the waypoint, but I'm sure with better software it would be easier.

On the positive side, I found it useful to sit the bluetooth GPS down on the ground when it read the correct coordinates. I would use it center my search area so I didn't wander too far off to any one side.

My current configuration, that seems to be working well, is a cell phone holder than attaches to a daypack strap via velcro. With the GPS sitting on my shoulder, it gets a good view of the sky. When I don't have my daypack on, I'm not sure what to do with it yet.

--Marky

I don't have a Bluetooth GPSr, but when I first read your post I thought "you could attach it to your hat!".

It might look a little silly, but you'd probably get the best reception that way. :P

Brad

Of course you would then have a 2.54 GHz transmitter, albeit very low power, 1 cm from your brain...

BTW, 2.54 GHz is the resonant frequency of water and our bodies are made up of 88% water. It is the same frequency used in microwave ovens.

Some Bluetooth units have a connector for an external antenna. The HAiCOM 303s with the 401 BlueTooth slipper is what I have. You can toss the BT unti into your backpack (in a ZipLoc if it's wet out) and run the antenna up to your shoulder, hat, etc. Mine has a magnetic base which makes mounting easy -- I position the zippers of the backpack so they're at the top, and stick the antenna to them.

I just got started in geocaching this week after I got a Delorme Blue Logger GPS with Delorme's Street Atlas 2005 for my Pocket PC. The Blue logger comes with a velcro belt holder. and with the Pocket PC it gives me audibles on which way to turn through the PC speaker or earphone.

Frankfx

Edited by frankfx
I don't have a Bluetooth GPSr, but when I first read your post I thought "you could attach it to your hat!".

It might look a little silly, but you'd probably get the best reception that way.  ;)

Brad

Of course you would then have a 2.54 GHz transmitter, albeit very low power, 1 cm from your brain...

BTW, 2.54 GHz is the resonant frequency of water and our bodies are made up of 88% water. It is the same frequency used in microwave ovens.

With a whopping 1mW output? :D

I stick my BT GPSr in the top pocket of the rucksack. Works very well there.

Edited by Roberts-tribe

I put a strip of Velcro along the top front of my Zire72. Yea, it looks funky but all the blue coating is coming off the unit, eaten up by the sweat in my palms anyway. I am slowly picking it off so eventually it will be all silver. Anyway, I then attached the matching velcro to the lower bottom of the GPS longways. I put 2 strips next to each other to get maximum grab. Then I slap the GPS on the blue tooth. It has a tendency to wobble and not grab tight so you have to move it low enough on the palm so that doesn't happen. It blocks the top of the screen but I can usually live with that. You have to be all ittle careful with it so it doesn't fall off while you're not looking, but so far it's worked for me. ;)

keyman, an interesting alternative would be to get a hard case for your Zire 72. I love my hard case. What you can do is put the velcro on the inside of the hard case, and then attach the BT GPS there, next to the PDA when the case is open (of course, you'd have to remove the GPS before closing the hard case). I believe that having the GPS laying on a flat metal surface also improves the reception.

--Marky