Is There An Automount Kit For Etrex Legend?

amytincan

Go with a Ram-Mount . I went with the optional Twist-lock suction cup, it will NEVER fall off.

You start with a starter set(cheaper in long run)

Then add the 5 1/4" arm

The add a Twist-Lock Suction cup

and you will need a second Diamond ball(I goofed and didn't)

The best part of the Ram system is the ability to add other parts to it to make it more versitile, and easy to get a new part when you upgrade your unit.

Here is what a starter set looks like http://www.ram-mount.com/gpspdaweb/rapb138ga5.jpg

Binrat

P.S. The picture below shows my 60C with the 5 1/4" arm and suction cup

63c285f7-56c3-4aab-9cdc-85c60cf1b30b.jpg

Edited by Binrat

Where do you buy the cell phone mounts... I've been looking EVERYWHERE. Can't even find these at cell phone stores. I boutght a Garmin eTrex Legend at Walmart and now I can't find any accessories locally. I don't want to wait for shipping. Any chain stores I should be checking to find some sort of windshield suction car mount?

I use the cell phone suction cup mount in the car. Works great. I got mine at WallyWorld in the auto parts section but have also seen them at KMart. A whole lot cheaper than holders specifically made for GPS.

In my truck that I use for camping I built a holder using a cup holder, the kind with the hook that's suppose to go over the window sill. I used the size that will hold a 12 oz can. I cut off the front of the circle to leave a semi-circle. This protects the GPS from getting bumped. On the bottom of the holder I put a small piece of the fuzzy side of velcro. This keeps the GPS from bouncing and holds the bottom from jiggling around. On the top of the holder I put a strip of the hook side of velcro. On the back of my GPS at the top I put a strip of fuzzy side velcro. The cup holder clips into one of the dash vents. The GPS just sits in the modified cup holder and is held in place by the velcro. We've had it mounted there on some pretty rough 4X4 roads and it's never shaken lose. Mounting it dash level keeps the screen out of the sun which makes it easier to read. Total cost - an old cup holder that wasn't being used and about 3" of velcro.

I tried the generic cell phone mount, but it held the GPS by squeezing it between to foam covered sides and I couldn't access the buttons.

I bought the Garmin Automotive Windshield Mounting Bracket, which is the suction cup mount, and it was worth it. It holds securely and I can access all of the buttons.

www.gpscity.com has them for $25.95 +shipping.

You can get a car power/data cable on ebay, for about $12

Just a word of warning. I purchased this particular RAM Mount :

gps_mntram_etbar.jpg

It works great in mounting your Etrex, but it ended up scratching the crap out of the lower portion of my etrex. Notice the two lips on the lower left and right hand side of the mount. Those things actually dug into my screen after several uses.