Sign in to follow this  
Followers 4
jrohde

Aprs Anyone?

The poll option didn't work! How many hams here use APRS? I've been playing with APRS for just over a year. It's been a lot of fun and learning.

If your not a ham or don't know about APRS, explore the world of APRS.

Jon KC9AXZ

www.kc9axz.com

Just got my tiny trak in last week. Learned how to solder all over again (can't believe it's been 3 or 4 years since I've picked one up). After assembling and progamming, I'm happily playing away with it now. I figure since I don't have a cell phone, it's nice to have a way of letting people know where I am, especially while out solo caching.

I find it to be a lot of fun. It combines most of my hobbies. It also gives the radio a little work. If it wasn't for APRS, my rigs would rarely get use. I do a lot of listening, but very little transmiting (until I got into APRS).

Jon KC9AXZ

www.kc9axz.com

I don't use the APRS program in the traditional way, with a radio and etc. However, I do use it to locate cache sites and possible "backdoors" to them.

That program has come in handy several times, when I didn't want to go the long way and found a useful shortcut. I only have one problem with the program, that being that the program uses DD-MM-SS format.

Cache coordinates are posted in DD-MM.MMM, and therefore I have to convert from one format to the other, or change my setup on the GPS after entering the posted coordinates.

Is there a way to change APRS to display in the DD-MM.MMM format?

Anybody found a way to feed the GPS signal to multiple programs on the laptop at the same time?

I'd like to have APRS running while the laptop us voice navigating a route for me (using Mapopolis or some such). Maybe even have Winlink 2000 also running on the box.

The D7A-G is really quite nice to cache with! Made a cable to attach to my Rino, now whenever someone beacons their coords I get a new waypoint. Since the Rino does NMEA in/and out - and the radio receives, well, it's pretty nice.

Another ham or two around here bought the PocketTracker which is a pretty cool APRS unit, but it won't allow you to receive text messages like using a bi-directional TNC does.

I have both the D7AG (HT) and the D700A (Mobile) and both work really well. I'm working on getting a cable set up like this cable for the P type connectors but instead for the Rino. It would make sending text that much easier.

Hopefully I'll be able to receive/plot other APRS users on the laptop screen.

Sheesh! I almost don't have time to drive anymore! Hihi

Cadence (OddTodd-K7PKT and CheleBell)

OddTodd - K7PKT

:lol: What's APRS???

JUST KIDDING!! :smile:

If you like maps, computers, GPS, and ham radio then not having APRS running either in your house or vehicle makes you a WEENIE! :D

Combine APRS with Geocaching is a nerd's peradise. Kinda fun to track your friends while they trudge through the backwoods looking for hidden tupperware. I use the Kenwood D700A and it's a radio, TNC, and computer all built into one. Hook in a GPS and you have everything you need for APRS except the map display. BUT, addition of a laptop into the mix will take care of that!

Mike K9DRX

http://www.qsl.net/k9drx

Edited by triryche

See for yourself.... The map is a ctual capture of what I see on my home station. The map gets updated about every 5 minutes. If the image doesn't work, try my regular webpage.

Jon KC9AXZ

www.kc9axz.com

map.jpg

Hi,

Yep, I'm out there hamming it up with my new tech nocode license while I'm Geocaching.

I've got a Kenwood TH-D7 HT and a Lowrance Global Map 100 connected to it. My only problem in State College PA is the paucity of digipeaters close enough to my relatively weak beacons. :rolleyes:

Rory

KB3LUM

Welcome to the Hobby/Passion Rory!

So, when you get your digipeater up and running, contact the owner of the closest and set up a good communication link with them.

Bring the good word out to the masses in your area!

OddTodd - K7PKT

APRS - K7PKT-6(Truck+ TM-D700A); K7PKT-7(Garmin Rino 130+ TH-D7A(G))

Just getting into it. Have a Pocket Tracker working off of my new Legend GPS.

Working on getting the stuff together to run a digipeater.

yep, APRS is a lot of fun. a friend of mine (KF6HDJ or KF6HDJ-3) has been running APRS for a few years now, he has a kenwood TH-D700a radio in his truck. i bought the same radio myself around end of march or beginning of april 2004, since it seemed like the perfect all in one solution, and made the cable for my etrex to run off 12V power and connect to the radio, and i love it, whenever im in my car i have it on. plus i can use the radio still which is nice, so usually left side has aprs freq on it amd rioghts ide has the 70cm repeater i usually monitor.

73 KF6JAX

ps, i want one of them TH-D7AG ht' next...

My only problem in State College PA is the paucity of digipeaters close enough to my relatively weak beacons. ;)

Rory

KB3LUM

Rory, I feel your pain. We have the same problem in our area. My solution was to setup a home station with a I-Gate and digipeater. This was a perfect way to put my normally unused equipment to work. You don't need to run the digi 24/7, just run it while your not using your regular equipment.

UI-View (www.ui-view.org) is a good piece of software to use. You can register the software for a voulintary contribution to any Cancer Society. The software will easily support a I-Gate and digipeater. It also has other cool options, like web server: My Webserver ;)

Don't be discouraged, you can easily get yourself on the maps.

Jon KC9AXZ

www.kc9axz.com

N6VND

I have been using APRS for about 6 months. Have my Garmin GPS-V hooked up to my Kenwood D700 radio. Works GREAT.. I am in Lakewood, CA

Dave

In a nutshell APRS is hooking up your GPS to your ham radio via a serial link. You transmit your position speed etc and other APRS users either on the radio or internet can plot you on their GPS.. Think if you had a cross country auto race. you could track each car on a "live" map. It is really kind of new and more uses are emerging.

Our ARES group uses it extensively during bike races, drills, exercises, and actual events, and it has proven its worth. It is a great way for the EC to track where his units are, and it makes it very easy to update the served agency folks and give them a graphic view of what and where things are.

Our ARES group uses it extensively during bike races, drills, exercises, and actual events, and it has proven its worth. It is a great way for the EC to track where his units are, and it makes it very easy to update the served agency folks and give them a graphic view of what and where things are.

We use it for our tracking vans and try to put one with the mechanic's vehicle during bike races. Works well as you said for tracking where people are. By limiting it to just the couple of vehicles, you also get a less cluttered display and more rapid updates.

Greetings from CM87

This is Ken K6KAW or when out caching K6KAW-9. Running a Kenwood TM-D700A.

Quite a large and active group here in Ca. Lotts of Digis not to many dead spots.

Ken

K6KAW

:grin:

I use a Kenwood Thd7a and have interfaced a Garmin GPSIII+, GPS V and now my new 60CS. I have made up a power cable that charges/powers both the radio and the gps unit and exchanges the data between the gps and the radio. I have just begun doing the geocaching and now have my first find....

73.s

Well, I finally have a low power GPSr device in my vehicle - it pulls 90mA - had to sacrifice a mouse cable extender to get it powered, but it plugged right in to the D700A and was useful within 1 minute of that. Now I can connect my Rino 130 to my D7A(G) and turn my D700A into a digipeater when I'm out hunting/playing/caching.

All that I have to do is set up a 12v connector in the back so the GPSr is out of sight and out of mind. A very small price to pay to please my lovely XYL.

OddTodd of Cadence

Todd Cady, K7PKT

I use a Garmin GPS III Plus with my Kenwood D700 mobile as VE4MHZ-14 everyday. For geocaching, I have the newer GPS V. I use the newer GPS with my Kenwood D7A when I want to go portabel too. I like this Garmin line as I mount the GPS in a more convient place other than on the dash and use an external antenna.

VE4GLS goes portable with his farm equipment all the time using his Kenwood D7A and the Garmin Etrek Venture. Works well too.

When is someone going to come up with a tractor APRS icon?

Paula VE4MHZ

I just added the Kenwood D7A to my APRS equipment. It's a nice rig, yet the battery life is very short. :lol:

73 Jon KC9AXZ

www.kc9axz.com

I'm a Snowbird spending winters in Tucson, AZ and summer in Grand Rapids, MN. I run a D-700 with Magellan MAP330 in my van. I modified the wire harness so I can use cig lighter for GPS power and run either direct to D700 or use with the laptop with UIView or WInAPRS. I also travel to Maryland and California at least once a year which is perfect for moving TBs around. When I plan a trip, I go the the website and search for TB Hotels along my route. Also, just before leaving I will pick up several stagnant TBs and move then big miles. Three of the five TBs I brought to AZ last fall are now moving around in Germany.

I have several people tracking me on findu. As I was cruising across NM last fall, the cell phone rang. It was my 7 Y/O Grandson informing me that 73MPH was way too fast.

Look for me on findu or EchoLink

73s KØNII aka 8Ton

Anybody found a way to feed the GPS signal to multiple programs on the laptop at the same time?

Being a Brit I don't know about APRS, but if you use UI-View, there's the facility to get it to output data through a "virtual com port", which an add-on bit of software can feed into something else. So UI takes in the GPS Data on COM 1 (which is a real physical serial port).

UI then outputs the exact same data on, for example, COM 10, and your voice nav software imports it on COM 11, where 10 and 11 aren't real serial ports, but the computer thinks they are. The add-on "Virtual Com Port Bridge" software links the two virtual ports just as if you'd linked two physical com ports with a null-modem cable.

Hope this helps - UIView and virtual com port bridges are both linkable thru Google.

Paul G0TLG

Also licenced as AE4QC

Being a Brit I don't know about APRS, but if you use UI-View, there's the facility to get it to output data through a "virtual com port", which an add-on bit of software can feed into something else. So UI takes in the GPS Data on COM 1 (which is a real physical serial port).

Ui-View is a program that uses the APRS protocol.

The programs DosAPRS, WinAPRS and MacAPRS were the ones originally developed in the USA.

I used WinAPRS for a while, but converted to UI-View just after Roger (G4IDE) developed it.

You would need to contact the programers for the other programs that implement the APRS protocol to see if they are able to interface with other programs. From what I know of programs like Ham Radio Deluxe (a program that interfaces the PC to a CAT enabled rig) it usually needs an appropriate DDE to be written to interface between programs.

I've got a Kenwood TH-D7 HT and a Lowrance Global Map 100 connected to it. My only problem in State College PA is the paucity of digipeaters close enough to my relatively weak beacons.

Hah, When I'm up at the PS football games, I usually run a digi in the truck while I'm in the stands. Next season, look for KE4NYV-6 (Temp Digi) I only make it up to one or two games a season if that. I like the games, but I love my hobbies too :)

Anyone use an "Open tracker" type APRS converter (similar to the TinyTrak)?

Yep, I love my OT. I am primarily a HamHUD II user (www.hamhud.net or www.ke4nyv.com/hamhud.htm) but I also use the OT when I need a simple tracker. I met Scott N1VG at DCC last year and hes a great guy to talk to and has a lot of good ideas for the future of APRS.

I build and sell Radio and GPS Interface cables compatible with the OpenTracker, TinyTrak III, WxTrak and PICPAC Take a look at www.rpc-electronics.com

Edited by KE4NYV

Hello Everyone,

I have been running APRS at home and in my car for many years now.

At home I use KC0FXY-8 - which is a pc running windows and running UI-View. It's connected to a Yeasu ft-2500 through a Kantronics TNC.

In the Car I have a Kenwood D-700 and transmits as Kc0FXY-9

And I also have a Digi-peater soon to be moved to a different location that ID's as KC0FXY-7.

APRS has been alot of fun.

-Geoff

KC0FXY

I've had my license since November, and have heard of APRS, but haven't really looked into it. What use would it be caching?

Does anyone have any info on hooking a kenwood d700 to a garmin streetpilot 2610?? would love to have anything you can find thanks

Edited by Two Tracks

I looked at the Garmin sight at the 2610, I don't see that it has a serial port (usualy a 4 pin round connector) like on the 60CS that I have. You need a serial port for data transfer to/from the radio. I have only found the GPSIII+, GPS V, 60 c or cs, 76 c or cs : to have the serial port. I had a quest that is just a small street pilot and it would not communicate in NEMA or have a serial port. Hope this helps.

I run a Kenweed TM-D700 for the mobile and a Magellan Meridian.

And a Kenweed THD-7 while portable and a Maggy 315. Wife can track me where ever I go and can communicate TEXT or voice. ITs nice......

AND BTW, HEY 2 TRACKS.....

Edited by Steak N Eggs

I've been using APRS since the introduction of the Kenwood D700s.

I actually use UI-View to make overlays showing where the caches (and benchmarks) are hiding so I can easily get to their locations. When I have all my gear hooked up I can see where I am in relation to where I'm going! That is a big help when I'm unfamiliar with the surrounding terrain.

Eric KF4OTN

Just got the Kenwood TH-D7A and have been playing with APRS. Has anybody used their D7 to sent APRS via the ISS ?

KE7DGM

Edited by bnolan

Just got the Kenwood TH-D7A and have been playing with APRS. Has anybody used their D7 to sent APRS via the ISS ?

Oh yeah! I've used mine and was able to double-hop from ISS to NO-44... Made it across the US from the east coast to the west coast. Can't wait to see what PCSAT2 looks like...

73s,

Eric KF4OTN

Ok, let me see if I've got this straight:

ch A for the uplink at 145.990 MHz

ch B for the downlink 145.800 MHz

Data Band: A:TX B:RX

Packet Path: ARISS, SGATE, WIDE

What about Message Group? and UNPROTOCOL?

Thanks,

Bob

KE7DGM

Edited by bnolan

I've tried APRS several times but I havent really been able to find detailed and or easy to use maps so I've pretty much given up out of frustration. I have tried the tiger and other maps but they dont seem to work very well. I would love to come up with a way to use it for our ARES group especially to be able to track our commo vehicle from the EOC. Are there any recent mapping programs other than the $300+ microsoft stuff that work with any of the APRS versions. Also is there anyway to display the positions of other APRS users directly on a GPSr itself. I keep waiting for garmin and Icom or someone to teem up and offer a ham radio version of the rino but it dosen't seem to be forth coming though I have seen a marine radio with simular features.

KE4UUU

KC9AXZ,

What dash mount do you use for your garmin etrex?

Oh WOW, Sorry! I haven't checked the forum in awhile! The dash mount is just a cheap cellular mount I got at Big Lots. I think it cost me $4. I couldn't tell you the brand.

Jon KC9AXZ

www.kc9axz.com