Congratulations!!!!

Lactodorum

I'm pinning this topic at the top of the forums as a place where you can express your congratulations to anyone and everyone when they achieve a significan geocaching milestone. It is meant to replace the numerous "Congrats" threads that appear from time to time in the UK forum.

Although not everyone will be happy with this style of offering good wishes to fellow geocachers, it is commonly used elsewhere and most people who responded to my previous thread thought we ought to give it a go.

So.......congratulate on :laughing:

I have a question.... Will each congratulatory thread have its own page or will this thread have 100 pages by the end of the year?

I certainly would not want to go through each page just to see who has reached what milestone, but would like to see each one individually.

Lynn

Good point Lynn :P

Although when this idea was first tabled I thought it might be reasonable to have all the congratulatory posts in the one place!!

But now I am having second thoughts :(

Apart from your own pertinent question...I fear that many of us might only now and again check to see who has reached a particular milestone and this might actually reduce the number of congrat replies to some posts! If you see what I'm getting at :blink:

I will watch the developement of this pinned subject with interest :D

Ullium.

Although not everyone will be happy with this style of offering good wishes to fellow geocachers, it is commonly used elsewhere and most people who responded to my previous thread thought we ought to give it a go.

I looked, but couldn't find any other forums that use this method of pinning to the top for the congrats messages? Not sure where the problem is with the individual messages? At least they are Geocaching related :blink:

Although we have recently had a run of 'Congrats' this will not always be the case. If I see a name I recognise on the forums I will congratulate them, but if It is a pinned topic, I certainly wouldn't check this thread everyday to see who's name is on it. :(

Surely everyone likes to see their name up on the thread - and is glad that someone has noticed - we certainly were! :)

After a couple of weeks, the names disappear down the list anyway so I don't have a problem with them. :D

So would prefer it if things went back to theway they were. :D

Just my twopenneth anyway :)

cheers

PPs

Edited by perth pathfinders
it is commonly used elsewhere and most people who responded to my previous thread thought we ought to give it a go.

Censorship is often based on ignorance. :)

Where exactly is this used elsewhere? :D

I can see no other forum that uses this method! :)

These type of messages are an integral part of the game and with censorship creeping in I think it might now be time for me to finally hang up my GPS...thanks to everyone for all the caches over the last 18 months and goodbye! :(

Seasider

Censorship is often based on ignorance.

Where is the censorship? All Lactodorum has done is open a new thread to see if people may be willing to post their congratulations there - as far as I can see none of the previous congratulatory topics have been deleted.

Maybe it won't work out but let us at least give it a try as Dave has.

Surely the way to run this pinned thread is for one person to post that a particular cacher has passed a particular milestone and anyone who wishes to congratulate that person can send them an email. This way each milestone takes up one post, keeps the thread uncluttered and it makes it easier for Deego to keep his Hall of Fame up to date.

I stopped participating in congrats threads a while ago as there seemed to be some occassions (particularly Monday mornings) when the top 10 or 12 threads on the forum were congrats based. Similar results happen when someone who hasn't posted for a while comes back and posts on every congrats thread that there has been for a couple of weeks. This has the effect of bumping each one to the top of the forums and shoving the discussion threads down the list.

A lot of the problem with the UK is that we only have one forum. The Americans have a local forum based around a number of states and then they have the General forum for general geocaching discussion.

I know that in the past Jeremy has been asked to provide us with another branch of the UK forum but nothing has been done so far. An extra UK forum could be used for humour, funnies, anecdotes, congrats and sectarian abuse :( leaving the existing forum for general discussion items about geocaching. I think we should adopt the "one milestone - one post" idea but also push Groundspeak very hard for an extra UK forum as outlined above.

At least lets give it a try.

John Stead wrote:

Where is the censorship? All Lactodorum has done is open a new thread to see if people may be willing to post their congratulations there - as far as I can see none of the previous congratulatory topics have been deleted.

Maybe it won't work out but let us at least give it a try as Dave has.

I agree. Personally, I was happy with the way things were, but that's just my opinion. We're trying it this way now, so let's give it a fair trial and see how it goes.

SlytherinAlex wrote:

...when someone who hasn't posted for a while comes back and posts on every congrats thread that there has been for a couple of weeks. This has the effect of bumping each one to the top of the forums and shoving the discussion threads down the list.

Now that is annoying!

Hey this pinned topic is saving my poor fingers :( so here goes,

Slytherin, congrats and a big thank you for making your 900th a memorial to "Mark"!

McDehack it's nice to see your back, sorry to hear about your wife, as some one who cares for his other half, to someone else in the same situation. Use caching to give you both quality time away from each other! Each time you reach a goal, however long it takes, will mean much, much more to you. Welcome to the slow ton club ;) .

Davy Boy a big congrats on reaching 300.

There 3people congratulated in one go :P

Dave :P

What must you feel like Lactodorum ??

Three days this thread has been in existence and from day one it was never given a fair trial ;)

You have my sympathy mate...really...I think it is embarrassing that grown adults can act in so juvenile a fashion ;)

It might not have worked anyway...but these people are making certain that it doesn't get a fair trial...I am really really gobsmacked at this behaviour ;)

Why you can silently put up with it....beats the hell out of me....I just wish I had your forbearance....I take my hat off to you :P

Team Ullium.

:D:blink: Congrats to Slytherin for 900 caches

:D:D Congrats to McDehack for his 100 caches and for taking care of his wife.

:D:D Congrats to DavyBoy for his 300 caches

:D:D Congrats to the Ollies for their 400 caches

B)B) Congrats to Trecker82 for his 300 caches

:D:D Congrats to Irec666 for 100 caches

:D Congrats to anyone else who hit a milestone since this thread started, that might have been missed.

Lynn