National Geographic Topo! 4.0

woggs1

I have been playing with NG Topo! 4.0 and it awesome. The 3D feature stands out in that you can do fly throughs of your routes, or just use the arrow keys to fly over the terrain. You can fly up canyons, along the coast, around the lake, anywhere that you have a State Series map. You can see the view from the top of a peak, or see the mountains above you from down in the valley. You can pan around in circles move to the left or right, forward or backwards. Another great feature is that most of the roads are now highlighted in red and the names are displayed, so you can clearly see them, whereas before they were not so clear. I really think that NG set a new standard for topographic mapping software. If you want to go and explore a mountain range or a park, you don’t even need to leave home anymore, you can just sit in front of your computer. I will try to post some pics if anyone is interested.

I just got my local state series (TX) from 4x4 books, on sale for $69.99 (regularly $79.99, and lists for $99.99), and they thru in Ver 4 with 3D views and auto updates for free!

I just now loaded Version 4 and am very impressed, but haven't (yet) figured out how to load the street name data. Next on my list.

Flying through Palo Duro canyon above a 3D 24K map is a kick!

Does it save waypoint files like the old version or has this function been relegated to the map files like prior editions?

I bought the 3D expansion pack w/4.0 upgrade. It saves the waypoints with the map files as one file. I liked it better having separate tpg. and tpo. files. I guess it's a personal preference thing though. Also, my computer does not have the 8 mb video card needed to use the 3D part of this program :) . And now I can no longer upload maps to my pda Pocket Topo :huh: . I keep getting a message that says something to the effect of " Tag Not Supported" :laughing: . I guess a call to NG support is due.

Edited by Warriorrider
... It saves the waypoints with the map files as one file. I liked it better having separate tpg. and tpo. files. I guess it's a personal preference thing though....

Thanks,

They must not use geocachers in their focus groups. I burn through so many waypoint files that while it might be nice to save integrated maps & waypoints for my actual adventures the ability to deal with the potential adventures (& cache listins) separatly is important.

Edited by Renegade Knight
....when i go GEOCACHING can i print a map with a few caches on it at the same time. So i know where all of them are in relation to one another???

You sure can. I do that all the time. You can download ALL your waypoints into NG TOPO!, along with routes and track logs. You can then label them with text if you want.

... It saves the waypoints with the map files as one file. I liked it better having separate tpg. and tpo. files. I guess it's a personal preference thing though....

Thanks,

They must not use geocachers in their focus groups. I burn through so many waypoint files that while it might be nice to save integrated maps & waypoints for my actual adventures the ability to deal with the potential adventures (& cache listins) separatly is important.

At the focus group I attend there was myself and one other Geocacher, They select a verity of users, back packers, geo cachers, one person was with the civil air patrol.

I'm interested in getting NG Topo state software but I'm not sure it is compatible with my Magellan SporTrak Map. The Magellan unit is not listed as a compatible GPS receiver on the NG web site. I emailed NG tech support and received a reply that they do not officially support the unit at this time but hope to start to offer support this spring. They went on to say that the unit is based on the Magellan 315 platform and many users have been able to connect using this setting.

Has anyone had any experience using the Magellan SporTrak Map with NG Topo?

I'm interested in getting NG Topo state software but I'm not sure it is compatible with my Magellan SporTrak Map. The Magellan unit is not listed as a compatible GPS receiver on the NG web site. I emailed NG tech support and received a reply that they do not officially support the unit at this time but hope to start to offer support this spring. They went on to say that the unit is based on the Magellan 315 platform and many users have been able to connect using this setting.

Has anyone had any experience using the Magellan SporTrak Map with NG Topo?

I've gotten my Sportrak Color to talk with NG Topo state. However, don't expect NG Topo maps to be loaded onto your GPS. :( It's just for uploading and downloading waypoints, routes, tracks, etc.

--Marky

To be honest, I still prefer my Topo 2.7.7. The upgrade to 3 put the waypoints and tracks into the same file. I didn't like how bookmarks/notes were dealt with. And I most definately didn't like that there was no backward compatability for TPO files.

Which leads me to a question about Back Roads Explorer. . . does anyone know what version that is built on? I was thinking of picking it up but if it forces me to use the upgraded version 3 I might just save myself the trouble.

As to the Magellan, I have had no problem downloading waypoints to my Platinum.