Anudder Stoopid Question

HWyatt

I am very new to this. I have found one cache.

I have a cache I wish to find and am puzzled by the info given to find it.

The coordinates are given and then the hint sez:

"A short walk on BLM land. A good starting point would be off Hay Market Rd....."

Then it goes on to describe the cache.

My problem is:

Hay Market Rd is apx 15 miles long. Does one just cruise up and down until the coordinates on the gps come close to the cache's coordinates?

I guess my ultimate question is...I get finding the cache at the coordinates, but how does one decide where to leave the car and start out on foot, when looking for any cache? :laughing:

Newbee would like to know...

Thank you!

HWyatt

First, there are no stupid questions. If you don't know, you ask. That what these forums are for!

Second, welcome to the addiction . . . I mean recreational activity/sport/hobby.

Third, take a look a the map on the web site. That should give you a pretty good idea about where to drive. The closest spot to the road isn't always the easiest way to the cache, so look around as you get near.

The Geocaching.com map is usually pretty good, but about half way down the cache page are several other options. Try Topozone (for a topo map) or Terraserver (for a satellite image-you'll probably need to zoom in).

The topo map might show Bureau of Land Management (BLM) land, so that may also help in this case.

Happy caching!

Edit: HAVE to learn to take off my mittens before I type!

Edited by Sputnik 57

I strongly agree with "the shortest way to the cache isn't alway the easiest!" I agree, but I apparently haven't learned from it. I usually drive around and get to the closest spot, then hoof it, usually right into a brair patch that leads into a gully with 87 degree slopes...and I go that way. Why? Because it's the shortest way! duh!

I would generally agree with your assumption - drive along the road until the GPS says you are close. But, here are some other hints.

1) Use one of the map options on the cache page. Either the Microsoft map page if it is a "civilised" area, or a topo map. That will allow you to see what may be a good way to drive close to the cache.

2) The shortest distance is not always the easiest. Pork King made that point. Often, if there is a very difficult way, weither the cache description - or other finder's logs - will tell you about this.

3) When you get close to the site, look around. Foot paths, open areas, and other easy ways - and raging torrents, steep cliffs - will be visible.

4) Have fun; and remember, you can quite at any time, I know I can, just after the next few caches, truly.....

<snip>

Hay Market Rd is apx 15 miles long. Does one just cruise up and down until the coordinates on the gps come close to the cache's coordinates?

I guess my ultimate question is...I get finding the cache at the coordinates, but how does one decide where to leave the car and start out on foot, when looking for any cache?  :laughing:

<snip>

OK, I've been thinking on this for awhile, and I gotta ask a question. Mind you that I only ask this because i have seen this happen many many times before...

Are you entering the coordinates into the GPS, then following the directional arrow? or are you watching the numbers on the position screen until you get the numbers to match?

Edited by Moose Mob
<snip>

I guess my ultimate question is...I get finding the cache at the coordinates, but how does one decide where to leave the car and start out on foot, when looking for any cache?  :huh:

<snip>

OK, I've been thinking on this for awhile, and I gotta ask a question. Mind you that I only ask this because i have seen this happen many many times before...

Are you entering the coordinates into the GPS, then following the directional arrow? or are you watching the numbers on the position screen until you get the numbers to match?

Both.

I'm entering them in my gps as a waypoint, so when I get outta the car I can follow the little pink line till the gps goes beep. (That's what happened the first time.) But I had great directions on where to go to park the car.

This time the directions are what I shared. So I am looking at the coordinates on the gps, on the satillite page move back and forth as I do.

But, I ah, duh! went back as many of you suggested and found all those maps! Whatta concept. :laughing:

What I realize for this area, is that all the roads are named "Unnamed Road." So I'm back to cruising the HayMarket Rd. Not that, that is a problem if that is how the game is played.

I'm just trying to figure out how "stoopid" I am....or how resourceful I must be.

Funny thing about all this is...drop me in a wilderness with a map and compass & I am fine. Hand me a fancy electronic gizmo let me get in a car and I am in a muddle.

Am I making more sense?:)

HWyatt

sounds like you're also using the map screen instead of the pointer. i used to do this as well back when i used a color Magellan SporTrak. When I picked up a Legend for my "collection" it defaults to the arrow (that "everyone else" uses) so I tried that. Now I can't go back... the arrow is a lot easier to use even though being a visual person the map seemed the way to go first. Took some getting used to on the first few caches but after that it's been smooth-sailing. Give that a try as well.

As for your other question, just go down the road with the arrow pointer on, when you get close look for parking. Might be legal and safe parking on the shoulder, maybe a small pull-off or something. Might be an entrance to a small park or something as well.

Good luck and let us know how you do!

:laughing:

If you can legally park along Hay Market Road, yes...I'd drive along it until you're at the closest point to the cache. If it's land that is bushwhackable, I might just light out after it. If not, look for a trailhead.

If it's an official, named state park or something, it may well have its own website, with trail maps and parking information. I love those. Plug the name of the park into google and see if anything turns up.

Oh, and congratulations on not being a tadpole any more. The suspense was killing me.

trying to figure out how "stoopid" I am....or how resourceful I must be.

Funny thing about all this is...drop me in a wilderness with a map and compass & I am fine. Hand me a fancy electronic gizmo let me get in a car and I am in a muddle.

Am I making more sense?

Hey, friend, you are making perfect sense to me. I can fly over 200 mph and land at a precision point within 15 seconds of the precise time I need to fly. You can throw me into the woods with nothing but my daughter's sippy cup of water, and I'll come out with no problem.

ACK! Give me the task of finding a micro with a GPS, and it drives me nuts.

Best advise I could give is to keep it simple. Yup, keep it simple. Whatever tools you use in the wilderness that make you fine (you stated map and compass), then use for geocaching. You can look at a cache with topozone, and utilize terrain association and/or dead reckoning with a compass to find a point, and in many cases easier than with a GPS. Use the "gizmo" as a back up and not the primary tool, and you may do better. As you get more comfortable with the "gizmo," you'll find yourself using it more.

Edited by jeep_dog
sounds like you're also using the map screen instead of the pointer. i used to do this as well back when i used a color Magellan SporTrak. When I picked up a Legend for my "collection" it defaults to the arrow (that "everyone else" uses) so I tried that. Now I can't go back... the arrow is a lot easier to use even though being a visual person the map seemed the way to go first. Took some getting used to on the first few caches but after that it's been smooth-sailing. Give that a try as well.

As for your other question, just go down the road with the arrow pointer on, when you get close look for parking. Might be legal and safe parking on the shoulder, maybe a small pull-off or something. Might be an entrance to a small park or something as well.

Good luck and let us know how you do!

:laughing:

That "arrow screen" is the most useless feature on a GPS. Anyone who uses it...oh wait, wrong forum :)

I'm just one of those "visual people" you refer to. I use the map screen exclusively. It's worked for nearly 400 caches, so it can't be all bad.

I think the use of the map feature depends on how the map looks. I also use the map feature exclusively on my GPS76S. That's because with uploaded enhanced maps, it really does tell me where I am, how close (and for some of the more tricky ones) which side of the river I need to be on and which side I am on.

However, in my little yellow etrex (which is now gathering dust), I exclusively used the pointer. The map is basically only a low resolution bread crumbs trail, with no data fields for distance, etc. I can't imagine using the so-called map feature to find a cache with that unit.

Would you post a link to the cache, and maybe a few other people can take a look at it and see if there's something that we can see on the cache page that you might have overlooked - or if the cache page is vague,

Okay.

I'm sure the cache page is fine...it's me. I did change the name of the road as I didn't want to offend the person who hid the cache....as they seem very knowlegable and have other fun sounding caches in my area. I thought this was an easy question.... :blink:

But here it is:

Bad Dogs BLM Walk

Waypoint: GCHNVT

Do you need a url to find it?

It's Oregon, zip code: 97753

HWyatt

PS: You all are the best! Thanks for helping out a clueless newbie.

From the topozone map, I would drive about a quarter mile east of the intersection of the two dirt roads, park in the saddle southwest of the cache, and walk from there. The area just east of the cache looks a little steep.

When I got "on the ground," something might lead me to take another approach, but that would be my initial idea, FWIW.

Edit: Alfalfa Market Road show up about a mile north of the cache on the 1:100,000 Topo. It looks like you can drive closer if the dirt roads are open to the public (and still there).

Edited by Sputnik 57
nrune mentioned using the NAV SCREEN.  Ok, maybe I'm just trying to drink in too much info too quickly & so missed something somewhere, but I haven't a clue what is a NAV SCREEN.  I'm using the Garmin GPSMap 76CS.....can someone explain the nav screen to me?

Thanks in advance,

FluteLlama

Good!!

I'll add to that by asking what's the difference between the the arrow screen and the map screen.

My map has an arrow and a little pink line.

I too, have a 76cs.

HWyatt

HWyatt, do you ever get the feeling we shoulda started out with less GPS bells & whistles? I'm thinking that my 76CS is something I should've worked up to instead of tried to learn GPS & that machine as well.

I'm adding in yet another newbie question: On the SATALLITE PAGE, it shows the coordinates for N&W on the right hand side,but on the left side of that there is something called LOCATION & it shows stuff like + or - 14ft. What does that LOCATION thing mean? I'm not finding it in my manual anywhere.

FluteLlama

Here are screen shots from the 76. The satellite screen shows your current location at that moment. The +/- 20 ft. is the estimated position error. It is telling you that based upon the birds overhead, the reported position should be within 20 feet of your "real" location. The better the satellite lock, the lower this number becomes, and the more confidence you can have that you are where the GPSr says you are.

The second pic in the top row is the map screen. The second pic in the second row is the compass screen or "Nav screen." Many cachers switch to this screen when reasonably close to a cache that they have told the GPSr to "find."

The big arrow on that screen tells you which way to the cache (bearing) and the "Dist to Next" window tells you how far away you are (plus or minus the estimated position error from screen 1).

More good info in the review of the 76C.

Sputnik,

Thank you for the links. Let me ask you, or whoever else answers, if this COMPASS PAGE will still work if I haven't downloaded the coordinates into my GPS??? B/c what I've been doing so far is finding the coordinates on MapSource in order to drive to the area. Then, I have the cache's page printed out so I have the coordinates there & walk with them in-hand until my GPS says I've arrived at those printed coordinates. Once I find that spot, then I put in a Waypoint into my machine.

Is this a bad way to do GeoCaching? Is it cheating to not download the coordinates first?

FluteLlama

Not a bad way, but not the easiest way. There are several cachers who just look at the present location on the satellite page, and walk until they match the coordinates on the cache print-out. I sometimes do that myself when the distance and direction arrow is hopping around.

But IMHO, that is sort of like saying, "I just push my car along the street until I get where I'm going." It's not cheating but it isn't the quickest way from here to there.

You don't have to have a computer to download waypoints into your GPSr. Go outside with the cache page, turn the GPSr on, wait until you get signal, and then press "Mark" to mark a waypoint. Then go in and edit the coordinates of the waypoint you just marked so they are what is on the cache page. (You can edit the name too, so you remember which cache that is.) Have your significant other look over your shoulder while you enter the waypoints, so you know they are right (and use that closeness as a great opportunity to smooch!)

The press Find (twice) and highlight the cache you want to find. Press Goto, and Off Road (or Follow Road if you want to be autorouted close to the cache).

Then the screen with the big arrow will lead you there without having to do a circle dance to get the numbers to match.

Clearly this isnt the only way to get there, but I think you will be amazed at how much easier it is.

OK, another dumb question for anyone who uses the 76CS:

How do I get the gizmo to go into GeoCache Mode? I was looking over the stuff on the link from Sputnik, and it has way more things there than I've learned yet. But one thing I tried several times to do is get my Compass Page to go into that GeoCache Navigation, and it just won't do it.

The only thing I find on the GeoCache Setup page is to set the graphics for the FIND & the FOUND and then YES or NO for logging in the date found. I see no other way around getting it to take a GeoCache Mode.

I'm sure there is someone out there who can help me with this, as I've read that at least someone has a Garmin 76CS besides the newbie HWyatt & myself.

Thank you in advance,

FluteLlama

Eureka!

2 caches under my belt.

With your suggestions we went out and found it.

You all helped me tremendously, ito figure out what to do...THANK YOU! :blink:

The directions were fine...I just needed to use my head and paper topo map more....ie: be resourseful...

This is what I learned:

1.Read the logs

2. Punch up the maps and locate the basic area and then (THE BIGGIE) find it on your own paper maps. (Look at everything on the cache page and use the skills you have already...)

3. Use those paper maps to follow the roads to get as close as you can with your car (knowing that there are lots of extra roads in reality from the what is on the map.)

4. Once you get outta the car then you turn on your gps and start hiking, based on what it is telling you.

4a. In flat country be sure and mark where you left your car..... :(

5. As you get closer keep zooming in your map to increase your accuracy (even if sez "overzoom"...zooming in helps.)

6. Finding a cache with doggie cookies in it, makes your doggies very happy.

7. Always bring a trash bag.

So, I suspect cache #3 will be an equally rewarding learning experience. :P

Thanks for the newbie help.

HWyatt

HWyatt, do you ever get the feeling we shoulda started out with less GPS bells & whistles?  I'm thinking that my 76CS is something I should've worked up to instead of tried to learn GPS & that machine as well.

Yep. I have had the same feeling. Too much machine.

But I wanted that color...and mapping capabilities, and got a good deal......

and am having to be real humble about my ignorance.

:blink:

That "arrow screen" is the most useless feature on a GPS. Anyone who uses it...oh wait, wrong forum :P

I'm just one of those "visual people" you refer to. I use the map screen exclusively. It's worked for nearly 400 caches, so it can't be all bad.

I know what you mean. but the pros in this area taught me otherwise. :( to each their own though, there's no wrong way to do this. :blink:

HWyatt, do you ever get the feeling we shoulda started out with less GPS bells & whistles?  I'm thinking that my 76CS is something I should've worked up to instead of tried to learn GPS & that machine as well.

Yep. I have had the same feeling. Too much machine.

But I wanted that color...and mapping capabilities, and got a good deal......

and am having to be real humble about my ignorance.

:blink:

don't feel bad. in a few days you will suddenly hit yourself in the forehead and say "doh" and it will all be come clear. i started with a gps map 76s. was caching in a few days.

How do I get the gizmo to go into GeoCache Mode?

when you set a waypoint, put the icon as the geocache closed box and it will go into geocache mode. :blink:

Robert, Where do I put the cursor onto the waypoint in order to get GeoCache Mode? Is it on the Map Page or some other page? I've been goofing around w/it to see if I could get it to do it & still can't yet.

Thanks for your help,

FluteLlama

so missed something somewhere, but I haven't a clue what is a NAV SCREEN.  I'm using the Garmin GPSMap 76CS.....can someone explain the nav screen to me?

I have an old Lowrance gps, eagle mappro. Any way the display pages are map, nav, status, and group. The nav page is the one with the directional arrow, ground speed, and distance to waypoint. I use the arrow page exclusively when geocaching.

I wish I had a Garmin 76cs, just don't have that kind of money.

so missed something somewhere, but I haven't a clue what is a NAV SCREEN.  I'm using the Garmin GPSMap 76CS.....can someone explain the nav screen to me?

I have an old Lowrance gps, eagle mappro. Any way the display pages are map, nav, status, and group. The nav page is the one with the directional arrow, ground speed, and distance to waypoint. I use the arrow page exclusively when geocaching.

I wish I had a Garmin 76cs, just don't have that kind of money.

nrune, to be honest, the reason I picked the 76CS is b/c the screen was large enough.... & the fonts could be made large enough....for my eyes which are starting to get a little on the older side. If I'd have been able to SEE any of the lesser models, I think I'd have been happier with them as a beginner's unit. This just has way more stuff than I really need for what I'm wanting to use it for. But I do know what you mean about the cost....it was up there.

BUT, at least I can SEE it to use it. :blink:

FluteLlama

[snip] 6. Finding a cache with doggie cookies in it, makes your doggies very happy. [/snip]

I hope you took ALL the doggie cookies out of the cache. DO NOT LEAVE FOOD IN A CACHE, and that includes dog food. Food products draw critters, which frequently destroy cache containers to get at whatever smells so yummy inside.

I'm sure your pup was pleased, but whoever put the food in the cache was not using accepted cache etiquette.

It was an ammo can, in the middle of blm land...with very few big critters and no indication the critters had found it. This is an area filled with pack rats. If the smell was there there would be indications of them working the area. There were none.

The treats were dry and sealed in a ziplock. I think it was fine.

Its a good rule. But in this case there appeared to be no problem.

HWyatt