Any Takers For This Challenge?

bigcall

I happened to see the month old note posted on the Elvis Confluence cache in located in SW VA today. It hasn't had any visitors in close to 3 years and may not even be there anymore for that matter. It's obviously not the easiest place to get to and I know it's been discussed before as a possible group challenge. I figured that not many have seen huggy_d1's note, so I thought I would give it a little more visibility.

I'm still of the belief that Burke Lake Park is older by ~3 weeks (see the original submission with wrong coordinates - Here), but either way Elvis has not been seen in a while and he may have left the building.

The main problem is access. The find reports, plus the trip descriptions on confluence.org all report difficulties in finding access to that National Forest tract. It is apparently surrounded by private property.

You should consider some research before driving down. Maybe contact the NFS District office and find out how they access that tract themselves. Just speaking for myself, I wouldn't want to spend hiking/caching time chasing down access issues, especially with the length of drive it would take to get there.

Hiya Z,

Please count me in for the 'Elvis Confluence' project. For planning purposes, I have a Honda Accord and can take two other cachers (with gear) in a carpool.

We should prepare a cache to replace that one, should it be MIA. I have tons of camoed ammo cans ready to roll - I'm more than happy to donate one.

~Airsafety

Geo Ninja :rolleyes:

My interest was pretty much the same as others. I have looked at the topo maps of the area and looks like a few possible access points. Knowing where the Forest Service land is would certainly help in this case though. I too have .50cal ammo cans ready to go and will take one with me when I go. Taking a recon trip up there would be the way to go. Landowner issues as stated, could be easily taken care of by just asking. There have to be some logging roads in the area too.

Rob, et. al.

Unless the planets align, somehow I don't think I'll be able to make this one. I was getting back to VA fairly regularly last year. Looking ahead to this year, I'll be lucky to get back at all. Of course given the amount of geocaching I think I'll be able to do in the snow in Chicago this winter, you might have more luck with my V. [B)]

The spoiler pic above looks funny compared to the one in the logs with the huge teeth marks on it. Looks like something big was pretty hungry. The idea to bring another container is a good one since the wash the bucket sat above has probably collected it again - and who knows what other creatures have stopped by for a visit in the last two years.

Glad to see there's some interest in going after it.