The Biggest Known Bug...

rescue557

What is the biggest known travel bug that has actually traveled? There are people who claim to be travel bugs and there are cars that people use for caching and call them travel bugs.

Aside from these two examples, what are the largest known travel bugs still in use?

Here is my latest creation (I'm just waiting for a TB tag to arrive in the mail)...

PhoneTB.jpg

I have two fairly large ones. Spare Tire is a 30" four wheel drive mud tire. Pet Rock is a 3 foot long 2 foot wide 9 inch thick slab of limestone that weighs over two hundred pounds.

Pet rock rarely gets moved, but Spare tire is currently on the road a coupl eof hundred miles away.

Edited by Monkeybrad
Pet Rock is a 3 foot long 2 foot wide 9 inch thick slab of limestone that weighs over two hundred pounds.

How in the world does it ever get moved?

Only rarely and by the very determined. It has been taken out of it's current cache a couple of times, but they always bring it back. Of course some jokers have taken it out and placed it beside the micro I have in my front yard, but I always take it back. It's goal is to see the ocean, so I may take it to GeoWoodstock III.

Someone could do a bug and call it "Third Rock From the Sun". Of course it would be the largest until someone gets off planet and tags one on the Rings of Saturn. Still it would be boring since you couldn't really move it anywhere. The best you could do is move the tag from spot to spot. Now I'm thinking that moving the tag would be more suited for a cache called "Flea" that pesters Third Rock.

Someone could do a bug and call it "Third Rock From the Sun". Of course it would be the largest until someone gets off planet and tags one on the Rings of Saturn. Still it would be boring since you couldn't really move it anywhere. The best you could do is move the tag from spot to spot. Now I'm thinking that moving the tag would be more suited for a cache called "Flea" that pesters Third Rock.

Someone should buy the moon in its entirety and attach a big ole travel bug on it somehow. Unfortunately, I don't think that this one would travel to any caches really, but with one that big, why would you really want someone taking your massive investment around, anyway? :blink:

Here is yet another photo of me with my latest TB of which I've yet to release.

PhoneTB2.jpg

I don't yet know if I'll be putting more large travel bugs out there or not just yet. I guess I will have to wait and see how this one works out. Other (tasteful) ideas I had for large TB's were as follows:

* A Stop Sign

* A Log of Firewood

* An Old Geocache Container

* More To Come :(

Big Bugs are my thing. I have three:

Chain Chomp

General Moreau

Geo Gnome

Geo Gnome is by far my most travled and most popular bug.

Big bugs are the best! They present a challenge not only in the find, but also in hiding and transporting. You will notice that two have "casual goals" of traveling overseas. I always laugh when I think about someone packing one of these in there luggage or trying to explain it to a customs agent. Harmless but very humorous. Anyone who pulls it off is a dedicated cacher in my book!

Pet Rock is a 3 foot long 2 foot wide 9 inch thick slab of limestone that weighs over two hundred pounds.

How in the world does it ever get moved?

Only rarely and by the very determined. It has been taken out of it's current cache a couple of times, but they always bring it back. Of course some jokers have taken it out and placed it beside the micro I have in my front yard, but I always take it back. It's goal is to see the ocean, so I may take it to GeoWoodstock III.

Bring it down, we would love to see it here in Florida.

I was thinking of using my Jeep as a 3000lb "traveling" travel bug. :) Hook a tag up to the bumper and enter the coordinates here every time I park somewhere. It is guaranteed to be in the same spot, every day, for at least 10 hours while I'm at work!

Just kidding.... or am I? :(

A general question on these very large bugs...how do you move them, other than geomeets? I mean, presumably, they don't fit in most tupperware. If you left them on their own TOO near a cache, they'd be a bit of a liability for the cache.

How's it done? Leave it fairly far from the cache with coordinates?

They are, (at least it's my understanding) that people cover them with something to hide them with. I don't know how my newest TB will fare as it is shiny metal, but we shall see. I'm hoping that at the very least, several people will find some joy in it.

http://www.tomslatin.com/geocache/PhoneTB.jpg

http://www.tomslatin.com/geocache/PhoneTB2.jpg

My thoughts...

Obviously large bugs are not suitible every (or even most) cache(s).

Caches in very remote locations work well. The probability of a muggle stumbling upon one is somewhat remote. The challenge to the cacher is to place and remove the TB without attracting too much attention.

Moderate traffic areas also acceptable as long as the large TB can be adequately concealed. Areas with fallen trees work well because there are lots of pockets created between the logs. I have also oberved that there is ample bark available to conseal the rest of the TB.

A third option that also works well is to just put the large TB in your vehicle and go. It seems that whenever I take a trip I always run into someone looking for a cache. Just pass the TB along when you meet another cacher...heck, ive done that with normal tbs too. You might find that your 40-pound TB gets logged into some micros. What a concept.

Cache on!

Caches in very remote locations work well. The probability of a muggle stumbling upon one is somewhat remote. The challenge to the cacher is to place and remove the TB without attracting too much attention.

Moderate traffic areas also acceptable as long as the large TB can be adequately concealed. Areas with fallen trees work well because there are lots of pockets created between the logs. I have also oberved that there is ample bark available to conseal the rest of the TB.

A third option that also works well is to just put the large TB in your vehicle and go. It seems that whenever I take a trip I always run into someone looking for a cache. Just pass the TB along when you meet another cacher...heck, ive done that with normal tbs too. You might find that your 40-pound TB gets logged into some micros. What a concept.

Cache on!

Well said, my friend. With that said, I re-thought out my plan for dropping off my large phone TB. I'm thinking that I will put it in my cache that is 1/2 mile into the woods. How I'm going to get it there I have no idea. And how the next person is going to retrieve it will be even more entertaining. :(

Mine's slightly smaller than that, but it still won't fit into most caches.

Some of these other things in this thread have gotten me to thinking though. Geez, is that a scary thought or what?

What is it, exactly? A traveling log book? A traveling geocache? What?!?!? :lol:

It's me. I'm my own personal travel bug. I have yet to fit into any cache, although I've found one ammo can that was for 40mm shells which had to be at least two feet in length and might have fit some of the other big bugs I've seen posted here.

Sorry for the confusion.

Edited by Webfoot

This one has only been stuck in a few caches :rolleyes:

Most of the time you can find our TB running around a city / town / or the mountains. We believe we have the honor of being one of the first living TBs and I do not know of any other TBs that people created like this one.

What makes it so different? Well the TB number / Tab will never be removed from the hitchhiker. Rain or Snow, Desert or Ocean.. In bed, showers or hiking, the tag number is always there..

Come find it and join the list of people who have had fun with it.

It's Alive!!!

That's funny!  Where did you aquire such an item anyways? :o

We work for an airline and we managed to get our hands on this item. It was no longer economical to repair and it was going to be scrapped.

This thing was a big hit at our event cache today and another cacher has already picked it up. Maybe it will actually get released out into the wild. <_<

Here's a brand new one I just finished. She may not be the biggest, heaviest, or the coolest but I bet she's the most expensive. These things run just a tick under $50,000.00 new!

I'm releasing her at an event cache tomorrow. We'll see how she "flies" <_<

Mary Proppins

Alright, I was just going to be a lurker here but I had to come out of seclusion to say that you guys are sick! I hope some of these come through here so I can see them up close and in person! Guess I'll have to get a GPSr first...well...maybe not. These bugs might be easier to find in the woods compared to a film container covered in camo tape . <_<

Alright, I was just going to be a lurker here but I had to come out of seclusion to say that you guys are sick! I hope some of these come through here so I can see them up close and in person! Guess I'll have to get a GPSr first...well...maybe not. These bugs might be easier to find in the woods compared to a film container covered in camo tape . :)

:( Sick? In a good way or in a bad way?

Alright, I was just going to be a lurker here but I had to come out of seclusion to say that you guys are sick! I hope some of these come through here so I can see them up close and in person! Guess I'll have to get a GPSr first...well...maybe not. These bugs might be easier to find in the woods compared to a film container covered in camo tape  .  :huh:

<_< Sick? In a good way or in a bad way?

Oh, a good way, of course! You guys are too much! I would love to see the look on a cachers' face when they go to a cache looking for a little travel bug and find one of these monsters buried close by. The logs for "Chain Chomp" are priceless.

:huh:<_<:huh:B):huh:

I'm going back to lurker status now....unless Santy brings me a GPS.... B)

Oh, a good way, of course! You guys are too much! I would love to see the look on a cachers' face when they go to a cache looking for a little travel bug and find one of these monsters buried close by. The logs for "Chain Chomp" are priceless.

:huh:<_<:huh:<_<:huh:

I'm going back to lurker status now....unless Santy brings me a GPS.... :huh:

B) Cool.

By the way, have you seen my latest? A decomissioned public pay phone weighing close to 50 pounds!

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=118979