Palm Iii & Memory-map

Mr'D

I use an Etrex yellow and memory-map software (SE England) on the home PC.

I download pocket queries to the PC, and then upload them to the Etrex and m-m, thus having an OS map of SE England on the PC and local caches stored on the Etrex.

I then print out hard copy maps to take on trips with the Etrex.

Palm III's are dirt cheap on eBay. To go paperless, is it possible to:

1. Download GPX/MXF files to Palm III?

2. Download my mm software to Palm III?

3. What additional software would be required?

Is there any better, cost effective options I should consider?

Thanks,

Jon

I might be wrong but I think Memory Map is only compatible with Pocket PC, not the Palm PDA. I went for Fugawi when buying my mapping software as it will handle both. But that's not what you wanted to hear.

I would suggest using a combination of GSAK and Cachemate on the Palm. Download your pocket queries into GSAK and then send all the relevant information into a Cachemate file on the Palm ready to take into the field. GSAK costs a very reasonable 20 dollars and I think I paid 8 dollars to register Cachemate.

Hope this helps.

Cachemate is pretty, but it takes up valuable limited resources on a Palm III.

My personal recommendation with a Palm III is use GPSbabel or GSAK to export a PalmDoc file that is readable by a program such as CspotRun.

I've found that the resulting palmdoc file is about 1/3 smaller in size then the equivalent cachemate file. That and the CspotRun reader is more compact then Cachemate. Since a Palm III with all the OS updates only has maybe 1.8 megs of available memory, saving 200-300k or more of memory for the same data is significant, and I'll gladly sacrifice some of cachemate's bells and whistles so I can store a few hundred more caches in my PDA.