It's Time To Prepare The Nascar Race!

fly46

Kyle Petty has just joined the ranks of bugs moving backwards. What is it with these people that are picking up bugs - naming an area in the direction the bugs are supposed to go - and then turning around and sending the bug in the opposite direction?

I've made a formal decision about page rankings. I'm going to go by mileage as it stands, directions aside. And here's why - while the bugs are only making one or two moves, it's an exact science as to where they are and how far they've moved towards their goal. Once there are 20 or so hops on these bugs, it's going to be far more difficult to know what mileage was towards their goal and what mileage was away from it. So mileage is mileage is mileage, without exception.

With that said, the only thing that can beat mileage is the number of tracks a bug hits. So, if Terry goes 2564 miles but only hits 3 tracks/caches, but Kyle goes 1853 miles and hits 4 tracks/caches, Kyle's in the lead because he hit the most caches.

So it's really, ranked by track (Currently, all bugs are at Daytona) and then ranked by mileage within that track.

I hope that makes sense to people. (I think that's the jist everyone else was thinking of, too)

Kyle Petty has just joined the ranks of bugs moving backwards. What is it with these people that are picking up bugs - naming an area in the direction the bugs are supposed to go - and then turning around and sending the bug in the opposite direction?

I've made a formal decision about page rankings. I'm going to go by mileage as it stands, directions aside. And here's why - while the bugs are only making one or two moves, it's an exact science as to where they are and how far they've moved towards their goal. Once there are 20 or so hops on these bugs, it's going to be far more difficult to know what mileage was towards their goal and what mileage was away from it. So mileage is mileage is mileage, without exception.

With that said, the only thing that can beat mileage is the number of tracks a bug hits. So, if Terry goes 2564 miles but only hits 3 tracks/caches, but Kyle goes 1853 miles and hits 4 tracks/caches, Kyle's in the lead because he hit the most caches.

So it's really, ranked by track (Currently, all bugs are at Daytona) and then ranked by mileage within that track.

I hope that makes sense to people. (I think that's the jist everyone else was thinking of, too)

me likes, me likes...

There is currently a TB race called the Great Potato Race in which travel bugs are racing from a cache here in Texas back to Idaho. I helped one make its first jump northward and he was in the lead at the time. Then, someone picked him up and moved him over 1,000 miles SE to Florida, despite the bug's mission tag attached to it.

Kyle Petty has just joined the ranks of bugs moving backwards.  What is it with these people that are picking up bugs - naming an area in the direction the bugs are supposed to go - and then turning around and sending the bug in the opposite direction?

I've made a formal decision about page rankings.  I'm going to go by mileage as it stands, directions aside.  And here's why - while the bugs are only making one or two moves, it's an exact science as to where they are and how far they've moved towards their goal.  Once there are 20 or so hops on these bugs, it's going to be far more difficult to know what mileage was towards their goal and what mileage was away from it.  So mileage is mileage is mileage, without exception.

With that said, the only thing that can beat mileage is the number of tracks a bug hits.  So, if Terry goes 2564 miles but only hits 3 tracks/caches, but Kyle goes 1853 miles and hits 4 tracks/caches, Kyle's in the lead because he hit the most caches. 

I hope that makes sense to people.  (I think that's the jist everyone else was thinking of, too)

me likes, me likes...

agreed, makes sense to me.

I'm glad you like.

I considered a few different things, but this was the only one that made sense.

For clairification, in case you still need it, the headache award will be awarded at the end of the season for the bug with the worst luck. This will be something like the bug ending up in another country, going missing from the starting gate, etc.. The Idaho example would be a good one.

In fairness to both Terry and Kyle, both of the cachers who picked them up said something about taking them north, so perhaps they logged the bugs into their closest cache to home or something? I sometimes log bugs into the cache I have at my house just to keep the mileage accurate.

With that said, the bugs all have two things going for them - 1. I have word from a cacher that all bugs will be picked up by a certain date... (with more news to follow, but that's all I'm telling right now)... & 2. Since Woodstock is in Jacksonville this year, all bugs have a pretty good chance of getting out of Florida by the end of may, so as long as none are taken and not logged, they should at least have a chance to make it north.

Gee, this looks like an interesting race. Shame my 7 y.o. daughter seems to be the only cacher in the Daytona area that knows which direction is north. Just a little update... we have allowed a refind rule to try to get these bugs moving. A cacher can relog our cache as a find if AND ONLY IF they move a NASCAR 2005 T/B along. Also, I noticed that there is no Atlanta track yet. May I recommend "Fast Cache". It has a very close proximity to AMS. Agent K and I hit it last summer and it is sufficient to hold a decent number of bugs... albeit not a full 40 like we did right here. I figure at least 30,000-40,000 muggles walked by the cache we planted during speedweeks and didn't notice it at all. If y'all knew how close the cache was to both the track, and to civilization, especially with the size, y'all might've had a heart attack. It was an honor to start the race for y'all. If y'all want to know the reason Agent K picked the 5 she did, she loves Junior, and therefore took all the E's, she loves the M&M car, and Patty Moise was a girl. Then she used the bugs to start a T/B lodge further north. See what it takes to win?

P.S. Agent K is also the cacher with the suprise....

M&DofKJE Posted on Mar 5 2005, 08:41 PM

It was an honor to start the race for y'all. If y'all want to know the reason Agent K picked the 5 she did, she loves Junior, and therefore took all the E's, she loves the M&M car, and Patty Moise was a girl. Then she used the bugs to start a T/B lodge further north. See what it takes to win?

P.S. Agent K is also the cacher with the suprise....

A Very Special Thank You To Agent K. from HJ & Julie for picking the Earnhardts.

Here is the owner of the Dale Jr TB, Julie:

julierocks4rx.jpg

1signature2zl.jpg

Gee, this looks like an interesting race. Shame my 7 y.o. daughter seems to be the only cacher in the Daytona area that knows which direction is north. Just a little update... we have allowed a refind rule to try to get these bugs moving. A cacher can relog our cache as a find if AND ONLY IF they move a NASCAR 2005 T/B along. ....... I figure at least 30,000-40,000 muggles walked by the cache we planted during speedweeks and didn't notice it at all. If y'all knew how close the cache was to both the track, and to civilization, especially with the size, y'all might've had a heart attack. It was an honor to start the race for y'all.

And many thanks once again for all you're doing for this race.

Let me tell you something. I looked at that map, and going by what you said to me, about had a heart attack all my own.

If I take myself to GW3, I'm going to be at that cache at some point.

Of course, if I really have a heart attack after I see it, you'll come and save me, right?

I'm hoping you're wrong about that North thing. There is still hope because both cachers who took bugs south said that they would be placing them in caches up north (before they dropped them to the south).. :D My bug is one that went backwards. lol.

Let me tell you something. I looked at that map, and going by what you said to me, about had a heart attack all my own.

If I take myself to GW3, I'm going to be at that cache at some point.

Of course, if I really have a heart attack after I see it, you'll come and save me, right?

I'm hoping you're wrong about that North thing. There is still hope because both cachers who took bugs south said that they would be placing them in caches up north (before they dropped them to the south).. :D My bug is one that went backwards. lol.

Don't worry, the hospital isn't too far away. It's within a 1/4 of track property too. (biiiiiig track) :D And yes... you might need it :D And while you're down here.... check out some of NEFGA's meaner work.... "The Federation Must Pay" by Paintfiction, Agent K's "AKFP#9: We're gonna rock on through Electric Avenue" our "You've got to be kidding" (a simple 5 stage multi that takes you through 4 different counties and at least 150 miles driving... unless you take the shortcut...)... I assure you... there are caches down here you couldn't use stealth if your life depended on it. (2 weeks ago I had to open a security camera to get to a cache and get to the log and sign it) The T/B lodge is quite mild for down here. Everyone needs to come to GW3. You might even get to see one of your bugs there. I'm contemplating gathering any that are still in the area then to bring them up.... and no, that is not the suprise. The suprise is Agent K's.

What is it with these people that are picking up bugs - naming an area in the direction the bugs are supposed to go - and then turning around and sending the bug in the opposite direction?

They're all friends of Brian France and we know what he thinks of Darlington. :lol:

I took a bug backwards once (Atlanta to Savannah, goal was Houston). Very next cacher took it all the way to Houston and it's specific goal cache. Sometimes, it works out after all.

World's Fastest Half Mile (the Bristol cache) was replaced a couple weeks back (right after my trip :rolleyes: ). Hopefully, it'll stay this time.

...and Patty Moise was a girl

Hopefully, she still is one (sorry, couldn't resist). Thanks for putting her in the lead draft.

An owner's photo from me would not improve the quality of the thread, so it will not be forthcoming.

Might be bad news for one of the bugs. Harry Gant just got logged...

Except the log said this:

We are on vacation from Toronto, Ontario travelling around the State

of Florida enjoying finding new locations that you would not normally

see if you weren't caching.  The area is beautiful and the caching

is fantastic. Will drop of close to Watkins Glen New York.

Yikes!

I've sent off an email. Hopefully it will help and this bug will land somewhere near South Carolina instead of in New York. If it hits NY it has passed quite a few tracks that it'll have to go back to.

Well, my bug was taken in the wrong direction, too.

It was more like a celebration that someone who wasn't involved* in the race finally got it right.

(*Agent K & M&DofKJE don't count - they were helping the race along)

In better news... Check the website in a few minutes (it's 7.06 central, give me till 15 after) and you'll see the first photo gallery up.

This is my first TB race (and it shows since my poor bug is still grubbing around somewhere in the bottom of the Daytona cache).

Fly, I'm curious about your e-mailing the current holder of the Harry Gant TB. Shouldn't that be the bug owner's responsibility really?

Don't get me wrong, if my bug suddenly took off in the wrong direction, I would be much appreciative of your help to get it steered correctly. I'm just wondering how that help could possibly be applied fairly once all the bugs are out and running.

Not whining, having sour grapes, or trying to stir up controversy - just trying to understand your role vs. the bug owner's and set the right expectations for myself.

Now then, NASCAR is a dictatorship. Bill France isn't fair, so why should I be? :P

KIDDING!!!

Now then, in regards to emailing:

As a bug owner you can do whatever you want.

As another competitor you can do whatever you want.

As the race organizer you can do whatever you want.

I will receive an email every time a bug is logged. If I get one saying somethimg that's radically going to affect the bug, I will drop an email if it will help one along. By radically, I mean if someone says they're going to take a bug to the wrong track/cache, out of the country, etc..

If you receive this emailing (I'm assuming Pack Rat does), you're welcome to send a line to the person too.

If they're only going a hundred miles in the wrong direction, I'll just sit back and watch.

The website is updated. I quit. lol

• Made a photo album for all (or, well, most) race pictures
  • Made a specific page within that album for Daytona pics (the ones I posted here plus a couple I didn't post before)
  • Updated the scoring list
  • Made two additions to the score column to include a quick overview at the top and a update count at the bottom
  • Updated the news on the page
  • Made two new icons "new" and "moved"

Yeah.. Yahoo has some bandwith issues.... There have only been two times that I know of that I exceeded them, and both times were because yahoo did something screwy with my html code. (the first time I had to go through and replace all the quotation marks at the end of urls, this time it made everything a link and wouldn't let me type hardly anywhere.)

Anyway, give the site a few hours. If you really want to check it tonight, check it before you go to bed. Otherwise, check it tomorrow.

The website is updated.  I quit. lol

[*]Made a photo album for all (or, well, most) race pictures

[*]Made a specific page within that album for Daytona pics (the ones I posted here plus a couple I didn't post before)

The link from the home page to the photo section currently indicates:

"http://www.geocities.com/youropinion/geocaching/bugs/slash/album.NASCARrace2005.htm"

...which goes to an invalid page error. I assume it should be:

"http://www.geocities.com/youropinion/geocaching/bugs/album.NASCARrace2005.htm"

NASCAR TB 2005 Photo Album

Thought you might want to know...

cachesafari

Thanks for catching that mistake... I spent so much time on the darn thing that I just wanted to throw it.... And since the bandwith thing was going on, I couldn't check my links. I always like to click through and make sure they work right.

I'll fix it in a minute.

It appears the cache is going to be hit a bit during this bike week, so hopefully a decent number of bugs will depart the state. We have about 6 people already recording hits down here. Who knows how many are waiting to get home. Go bugs go! Btw... I'm going island caching next week. How many and who should I strand out there??? :P;):D

LOL! Strand as many as you'd like to so long as they aren't mine!!!

Okay, okay.. Don't strand any of them.

As for the bike week logs:

Kurt Bush & Ward Burton were both picked up and logged already. They're tied for the last place on the scoring chart right now, since they've been picked up but not placed anywhere else.

It should be interesting to watch for the rest of the week.

As a matter of fact.. I had, but I did. I almost took a pic of one of the final candidates for the cache... about 50 ft from Speedway property, but since this was an important cache, I left it with the now measured .12 mi from the speedway. The pics will be posted as soon as the wife gets home. She's the one who knows how to work this camera.

Sorry we couldn't get pics up. We don't have file attachment capabilities on this site. Here comes more good news on getting this race started. The breakers are coming. We hope they move some of the bugs north. And the "don't fret" news. Agent K's plan is to take any bugs that haven't left the gate to her event on March 26th. People are coming from as far as Wis. to go to her event. (Ok, they were coming to Fl anyway, but they changed their schedule to go to her event.) So, all bugs will leave the gate by the end of this month. (Why'd I say yes to letting her host an event?) Actually she's planned a great event for a 7 y.o..

Dale Earnhardt is leading the race, now!

His pick up was logged this morning, and his placement was logged by the time I got home.

DE

This jump was 85.7 miles, putting him into the lead with 113 logged.

This is also the first bug to move twice.

Here is some good news for the Victory Junction Gang Camp.

LAS VEGAS (AP) - Michael and Buffy Waltrip presented a check for just under $1 million on Sunday to Kyle and Pattie Petty for their Victory Junction Gang Camp.

Waltrip said in July that he would gather $1 million for the camp, a summer home for chronically ill children.

The camp, dedicated to the memory of their son, Adam, who died in a crash in 2000, opened in June near their Randleman, N.C., home.

Waltrip promoted "Operation Marathon: Going the Distance for Kids" operation through marathons, dinners, concerts and autograph signings across the country, including a marathon here that he and Petty took part in.

"Michael was my inspiration to run," Petty said. "People flew out here to run ... with Michael."

Waltrip said the exact amount of the check, $923,626.73, was significant to him.

"It reflects the dollar-at-a-time way we raised the money," he said.

I like the last sentence!

1signature2zl.jpg

Great story. Thanks for posting it. (I ♥ Mikey!)

In other not quite tb related news, Yahoo's directions suck. I just came back from Bobby Hamilton's race shop where I missed him by all of five minutes because Yahoo's directions took me six miles into the wrong direction. GRRRRRRRRRRRR.

Now how am I supposed to take a driver brownies and offer to take him to lunch if I can't get to him in time? *hides yahoo in a soggy cache with bad cords*

Whew, crisis may have just been averted...I hope.

Somebody picked up Terry Labonte and said they were going to move him to the Indy cache. I just fired off an e-mail after reading the retrieved messege, so hopefully, things will be a-ok and Terry will be the first bug in SC instead of IN

I saw that too, PR, and I emailed them.

Once again, I'll not say anything if the proposed log is kinda where it should go, but if a bug's gonna end up twelve states away from where it should be, I'll fire off an email.

Dave Marcis, Ryan Newman & Kasey Kahne have all been moved - once again south. What the heck? lol. Although they're in a TB hotel in Orlando, so maybe they'll move quickly.

I also have been notified that KP has been picked up again, so that's good news.

I had better go update my site. That's six moves since the last update.

I saw that too, PR, and I emailed them.

Once again, I'll not say anything if the proposed log is kinda where it should go, but if a bug's gonna end up twelve states away from where it should be, I'll fire off an email.

Dave Marcis, Ryan Newman & Kasey Kahne have all been moved - once again south. What the heck? lol. Although they're in a TB hotel in Orlando, so maybe they'll move quickly.

I also have been notified that KP has been picked up again, so that's good news.

I had better go update my site. That's six moves since the last update.

at least Ryan is finally on the run!!! Yay!!! :ninja:

Some random stats for the race so far.

23 bugs have been picked up

14 are still in the cache

of the 23 that have been picked up:

10 are in the hands of cachers

they've moved an average of 39.8 miles

total miles moved: 916 for bugs picked up out of the starting cache,

but 930 for all 37 bugs total.

the initial cache has been logged 16 times since the race started

of the bugs in the cache, only 4 are non-race bugs

I'll post new stats the beginning of April.