It's Time To Prepare The Nascar Race!

fly46

Okay, everyone, here are the rules.

1. There is an entry fee of $5 per bug or $10 for a team of three. This entry fee will be put towards race medallions for each bug, winning prizes, as well as a donation to the Victory Junction Gang Camp. All bugs must be sent in with this entry fee, as well as the entry form.

2. There is a Maximum of Three Bugs per Username. NASCAR has a limit on the number of drivers per team.

3. Bugs will start in Daytona Beach, Florida and end in Homestead.

4. Bugs must hit certain caches/tracks IN ORDER along the way. These will be announced before the race starts. If a bug misses a track, it has to go back and hit that one before any more tracks are counted.

5. Deadline for bugs is Feb 1. No late bugs will be accepted.

6. Bugs must not have any mileage on them before the start of this race, and must relate to a NASCAR driver. Retired drivers are acceptable. Obscure drivers that nobody has ever heard of before are not. Drivers must also be/have been driving in one of the top three divisions - cup, bush, truck.

7. No driver can be duplicated. (IE, only one Tony Stewart can start the race) and every bug must have something to do with the driver. (You can't make a bright orange T and say it's Tony... you have to use his car, a trading card, something off his racecar, etc)

8. Once you take a bug to a track, you must leave it! You can not help a bug to consecutive tracks. (You can't take it from northern Cali to southern Cali and then to Phoenix - Although, if you help it to Nashville, you can later help it from Cali to Phoenix.)

9. Interestingly enough, this race can have more than one winner (hey, everything needs a special twist). The bug farthest along at the end of the 2005 NASCAR season will be declared a winner, as will the first bug to complete the entire race route. Of course, this can be the same bug, but can also be a different one. (Ie, one is in phoenix at the end of the real 2005 season, but gets beat to the end of the caching route by another racing bug)

10. Any owner who purposefully sabotages another racer, intentionally spins to bring out a caution, swears in victory lane, runs somebody into the wall on purpose, etc, will be penalized in accordance to the NASCAR rule book. :rolleyes:

Anyway, you have exactly two months from today to get me your bugs. Please post here so we can keep a running list of which drivers have entered the race so far.

Obscure drivers that nobody has ever heard of before are not.

I totally disagree with this rule; if the TB is NASCAR related in some way it should be accepted, IMO. But hey, it's your race so you make the rules :laughing:

Honestly, the rule is kinda mute anyway, since I'm 100% sure nobody ever marketed a Rodney Orr car anyway.

If you can prove with some sort of 'official' source - newspaper clipping, blurb on nascar.com/jayski/etc, letter from Brian France, etc - that the driver you want to enter was a driver in one of NASCAR's top 3 series (cup, bush, truck), then I'll allow it.

But seriously, why would you want to enter a Ed Ferree car anyway?? (1993, two starts, 137 points, $12,865 in earnings, car #05)

I'm getting excited about the race, guys..

The schedule is ready (waiting for replies from a few people), the championship trophy is in design, race trophies are in design...

Now all we need is a full turn out!

Anyone that shows up during winter practice (ie, makes it to me by Feb 1) gets a starting spot!

intentionally spins to bring out a caution

:blink: that happened 10 rows in front of me and I knew he did it on purpose even tho I never heard the radio! :(

On topic, I've never done a travel bug, but I will have to see what I can do to add a Michael Waltrip(my boy!) one!! Do I have to get the tag or is that the "medallion" you mention? I'm still new at this, have never done a TB! Excellent charity-Mikey's "Operation Marathon" (which I have donated to) is also for that. :P

Honestly, the rule is kinda mute anyway, since I'm 100% sure nobody ever marketed a Rodney Orr car anyway.

If you can prove with some sort of 'official' source - newspaper clipping, blurb on nascar.com/jayski/etc, letter from Brian France, etc - that the driver you want to enter was a driver in one of NASCAR's top 3 series (cup, bush, truck), then I'll allow it.

But seriously, why would you want to enter a Ed Ferree car anyway?? (1993, two starts, 137 points, $12,865 in earnings, car #05)

Because I like Ed Ferree B) .

Rodney Orr might not have a car out, since he died while practicing for his first WC race :lol: , but I'm sure there are plenty of diecasts for drivers that a lot of newer or casual fans have never heard of. Fortunately, NASCAR keeps the type of results that you'd expect of a major league sports group, so learning if a driver is "legal" for this event shouldn't be too hard.

I'm entering Dave Marcis.

I had a breakthrough yesterday and realized that it was insane of me to think that we could have someone go and place bugs on the day of the Daytona 500 less than 5 miles from the speedway.

*SO* The start of the race will be anytime between when the first official speedweeks event is held and the day of the Daytona 500. I won't be announcing it until the day the race starts.

Your deadlines will stay the same.

Edited by fly46
Are you going to use a wing tip for the bug?  Joking.. Joking.

I was planning on a small diecast, but that's not a bad idea. I'll have to look into it.

The best thing is, in this race, he's EQUAL to Jeff Gordon.. How cool is that?

I'll tolerate that for this race, since in real life (not necessarily racing stats, since Dave never had the good fortune to be hired by ultra-rich Rick Hendrick), we know that Jeff Gordon will never rise to the level of Dave Marcis. :(:D:D

Yep.

Pictures, trading cards, postcards, etc, are all fine. Definately make sure you laminate them.

I just don't want something completely fake and chesey made so that someone who's too lazy to find something can enter the race. There's big bucks in NASCAR, our bugs should reflect that on a much smaller scale. :blink:

Just so you know, the race website is updated as far as this post goes.

I will update to add the list of 'races' and a list of prizes on Feb 1.

Just so you guys know, the more people enter the better the prizes will be. This is what part of the entry money goes to, so if you're considering entering the race, perhaps you would like to consider entering the maximum three bugs in it?

You have a mere 49 days left to get your bugs to me!

Hey! the Entry form lists the entry fee for two cars and three cars as the same! Is $10 for three bugs correct?

Such a deal!

Yep!

It's a multi team special!

Seriously, I want alot of bugs for this race.

I want there to be a full NASCAR field - 43 - so I figured that if I did that there would be a better chance at getting a full field to go!

I don't know about you guys, but I'm getting really really excited!

Right now, I'm making silly graphics for the website, I just about have the race route finalized, and I'm working on some really cool prizes for you guys.

So get the entries in!!!

I can't wait to get the first bugs in the mail!!!

You have stated that you can do three bugs for $10, we would really like to do four bugs, we don't mind paying the extra $5. Is this all right or are you limiting people to a maximum of three bugs?

If you can do more than three, we would like to have #12 Jeremy Mayfield aslo.

Thanks

I'm limiting to three bugs per team, sorry.

The limits placed on what the bug tag can be attatched to are one reason for the rule. Another reason is because I want as many different people to enter bugs as possible, and I don't think this will happen if one person has the option to have as many bugs as they want to.

Adding Jimmie and Bobby to the list of taken drivers.

Now if I could just figure out what item I'm going to use for my Carl Edwards travel bug. Talk about chosing Ed Ferree in terms of merchandising.....

All right!!!

Mark Martin, Jeff Gordon and Rusty Wallace

are trailered (well the drivers are in their Featherlights, planes or helicopters) and heading to the staging area in Tenn.

Thanks fly46 for putting this together. Will be interesting to see what happens!

Looks like team owner MRCOGEO won the Pole Award!

The first three bugs are in!

This sounds really fun. I'm not a NASCAR fan, but this is an interesting twist. Just got started with geocaching and have a few TBs to try out. Coincidentally, the first hitchhiker I was going to try is a Jeremy Mayfield #12 car (Mobil 25th anniversary). Just some questions first:

1) I see on Mayfield's website that this is no longer what he drives in Winston Cup. Looks like he now has #19 sponsorer by Dodge. Does my #12 Mobil still qualify? (I assume it does, but doesn't hurt to check.)

http://www.jeremymayfield.com

2) Since this might be a collector's item. I assume it would be best to permenantly attach the bug (super glue, drilling, etc) to prevent someone from keeping it for other purposes. Sound reasonable?

3) We record the bug, then mail it to you with payment, right?

Thanks

cachesafari

I can tell you since I sold diecast from the time the first racing champions came out in 89 to now that the #12 Jeremy Mayfield car isn't really worth all that much.

I'm attatching a special tag to each bug, so make sure to leave a little bit of chain so that I can do that. (If you don't, your bug won't get the special tag, which will help identify the race it's in) But if you wanted to drill through the car for the chain, that would be fine. Just a tip, if you take an exacto knife, you can cut out the window net and passanger window (if there is one) to put the chain through that part of the car. That's what I did for Casey.

Drivers change cars/sponsors/makes/etc quite a bit from one season (or even within a season) to the next, so I'm only limiting it to each driver can enter once. Because lets face it, It would take an extraordinary feat for Jeremy Mayfield to finish Twelth and Ninteenth (or whatever. I'm only using those because they're his last two car numbers)...

So as long as nobody has entered him yet (and nobody has), you're good to go.

I can tell you since I sold diecast from the time the first racing champions came out in 89 to now that the #12 Jeremy Mayfield car isn't really worth all that much.

Ok, so much the better. I wish to reserve Jeremy Mayfield for the race then. <_<

mayfield1.jpg

I'm attatching a special tag to each bug, so make sure to leave a little bit of chain so that I can do that. (If you don't, your bug won't get the special tag, which will help identify the race it's in) But if you wanted to drill through the car for the chain, that would be fine. Just a tip, if you take an exacto knife, you can cut out the window net and passanger window (if there is one) to put the chain through that part of the car. That's what I did for Casey.

I had actually considered doing that. Did you use epoxy or super glue to permanently attach it or just leave it loose? I don't want to destroy the car, but would like the tag to remain intact with the hitchhiker.

We do register the TB on GC before sending it to you, correct? Don't want to forget a step.

cachesafari

Edited by cachesafari

I just used the chain. It goes through the cockpit of the car and it should be fine.

Before you send me the bug, activate the tag, but make sure it has 0 mileage on it when you send it to me.

NOTE: THE FOLLOWING IS ME BABBLING AND MORE THAN MOST OF YOU PROBABLY CARE TO KNOW..... On Feb 1, I will "grab" all of the bugs with a special account (much like cannonball run does) and send them off to Florida, where they will there be grabbed by another cacher who is helping me out. (He'll grab them when he gets them).... There's a special first stop for the TBs before the race starts, and when they go in and out of that cache, they'll go straight into the race's starting point. (We'll call the cache it goes in and out of the driver's meeting.)........BABBLING FINISHED

I'm going to go update the website a little to get it ready and to add the new bugs onto the list.

NOTE:  THE FOLLOWING IS ME BABBLING AND MORE THAN MOST OF YOU PROBABLY CARE TO KNOW..... On Feb 1, I will "grab" all of the bugs with a special account (much like cannonball run does) and send them off to Florida, where they will there be grabbed by another cacher who is helping me out.  (He'll grab them when he gets them).... There's a special first stop for the TBs before the race starts, and when they go in and out of that cache, they'll go straight into the race's starting point.  (We'll call the cache it goes in and out of the driver's meeting.)........BABBLING FINISHED

Hey, I'm glad you explained that part. I was curious about the logistics of getting them to Florida. <_<

Ok, got my TB activated:

NASCAR 2005 TB RACE - Jeremy Mayfield

MRCOGEO, I like how you did your TB page for this event. Hope you don't mind if I borrowed an idea or two. <_<

My car will be packaged and shipped in the next few days!

cachesafari

Wonderful! I can't wait to get it.

You're welcome for the explanation. I didn't know how many people really cared to have it, but now you know. I have spoken to a cacher I know fairly well from FLA so the plans are in the works. (He's even agreed to hide a suitable cache for me as a starting point since I didn't seem to find one.)

I can't wait until I have a big ol pile of bugs sitting here.

Of course, mine still need to be added to the pile! lol!

Luckily, I've recently discovered how much Green Lantern stuff they made for the 99 car. Seeing as though Jeff Burton didn't race it, Carl did, I finally think I've found something to use for Carl's bug. (The only thing I had of carl's was two autographs and the photos I managed to take before I asked him out on a date. I'll not tell the rest of the story.)

Adding a couple pages to the website as we speak. It's 11 here, all the links on the front page will be working by Midnight my time.

edited to say:

Pages done for now.

Edited by fly46

If I can get a couple more TB tags in time (and -harder-find appropriate hitchhikers) I want to add Kasey Kahne and Edward Glenn "Fireball" Roberts to the race. Let's see how the old timers stack up to the "young guns"! For those who have never heard of Fireball Roberts follow this link:

http://www.nascar.com/2002/kyn/history/dri...02/02/froberts/

This one may be a laminated card, since Revell and Action didn't do diecast in the 50s and 60s.