Getting Started With A Dell Axim.

tin-ear

GPX Sonar is the ticket for the PDA. It exports to several formats so you can pick the PDA mapset that works best for you. I use Streets and Trips because it's cheap and I don't need routing on my PDA since my GPS does it.

GPXSonar is also supposed to interface with GSAK on your desktop but I have never used that ability so I can't say how easy it is to use or set up.

I have a DELL AXIM with a SD card and a CF card so here is what I do. I have a folder on myt SD card called MAPS, don't know if it matters but it was there before I started geocaching. I down load the GPX file to my PC and then connect the PC to the Axim. I then just copy the .gpx file in to the MAP folder on the SD card. I then use GPSVIEW, Ihave tried them all and like this the best as it is simple and FREE. Then just start GPXVIEW and double tap the name of the .gpx file and it is loaded. I usually have a few differant .gpx files so I rename them before copying them across so they are not just a number. It is pretty simple my way there is NO conversion etc using GPSONAR or any other program. Email me if you have any questions.

cheers

Hello there,

I have a Toshiba e755 and the new Dell Axim 50v. They are great. Are you planning on using a CF GPS card? I use a Rayming, but am not 100% satisfied as it takes awhile to acquire, I have to use the antenna, and it snapped! grrrr...

However, for software:

1) Mighty Sync -- allows you to sync files to different locations than Active Sync. This is handy for placing maps onto CF or SD cards

2) GSAK for the PC -- allows you to pull waypoints from geocaching, and transfer them into mapping software (I use Microsoft Mapoint and then export into Pocket Streets) -- you can just go straight to Pocket Streets because it is cheaper -- unless you want auto-routing, etc

3) MobiPocket -- if you are a Premier Member ($30, I think), you can load your caching queries onto the PDA in eBook format for MobiPocket and read the entry and logs while "in the field"

Remember - these PDA's are not waterproof! Exercise caution if in wet environments.

That combo works for me. There is plenty of other cool and helpful software at www.handango.com

I'm getting a Dell PDA and would like any recommendations about which software is best for downloding from Geocaching.com

I've gone through a few different programs but with GSAK on the desktop, GPXSonar on the Axe along with Mapopolis it's a tough combination to beat.

It's up to the user to use what they feel comfortable with in the end though.

A Dell Axim 50 arrived today so I could go paperless. I tried to sync GPSonar onto the PDA from my laptop, but it didn't load properly because it said it was for an older operating system. Now I am bummed because I just figured out how to use it on the laptop and bought this PDA mainly for caching. Anyone else have any ideas? I am fairly new to this and definitely new to this operating system so any help would be greatly appreciated. I have GSAK on the laptop which I definitely haven't mastered yet. But I mainly want to be able to read pages on the PDA for a Christmas trip. I haven't tried to load into the CF card but would think it would need a program to interpret it anyway. HELP. :rolleyes:

My version is the pc2003. I will try to do this again this evening. I am just a slow learner but once I get it, I am sure it will be worth it. Thanks. B)

Which program actually lets you formulate the pages onto the dell and then read them in the field? I am also interested in mapping the waypoints though I will still navigate on the GarminV. But my primary concern is reading those pages without all the printouts. Is this what GPSonar does? Thanks for all your help.

Also I think that the Dell gives that warning for all non-Dell approved software because I got the same warning for a game I downloaded.

Edited by libertylady

yes - gpxsonar reads in your pocket queries that you have created (as a premium member) and then generates the html pages on the fly. Just create a pocket query, download the gpx file, (don't use loc format) and sync the file across.

Install gpxsonar, run it, open the gpx file and off you go......

if you are running pocketpc2003 then the latest version of gpxsonar will work.

I got my Dell Axim 50 to work with GPXview and GPXSonar. Not sure of the difference, but seem to prefer the GPXview. I couldn't seem to get GPXSonar to work until I figured out that I had it filtered incorrectly. Now I am concerned that having both programs take up too much memory on the PDA as I do get low memory warnings at times.

Now my focus, maps-CFGPS. That is my next step!! I do love going paperless. Just did it in SanAntonio Riverwalk area and it was smooth! Thanks for all your assistance.

A Dell Axim 50 arrived today so I could go paperless. I tried to sync GPSonar onto the PDA from my laptop, but it didn't load properly because it said it was for an older operating system. Now I am bummed because I just figured out how to use it on the laptop and bought this PDA mainly for caching. Anyone else have any ideas? I am fairly new to this and definitely new to this operating system so any help would be greatly appreciated. I have GSAK on the laptop which I definitely haven't mastered yet. But I mainly want to be able to read pages on the PDA for a Christmas trip. I haven't tried to load into the CF card but would think it would need a program to interpret it anyway. HELP. ;)

Alot of software will give you the warning of "this software wasnt designed for this operating system, blah blah blah". Just ignore it. I have a dell axim x50v and get that message constantly, all my apps work fine, including gpxsonar. Hope this helps

I have a Dell Axim X3.

I, too, would like to have the cache pages loaded on it, rather than printing them all out.

I already loaded GPX Sonar, but then found that not being a premium member, it is of no use.

If all I wish for is having cache pages viewable on the Axim, is GPX Sonar and joining as a premium enough?

(maybe later, I will want more, but Baby Steps for now)

Concerns;

Do you guys carry your PDAs out on your hikes with you? I would rather not do that. Carrying a folded piece of paper in my pocket seems easier. So it seems a tradeoff; on longer, harder chaches, I think I would probably prefer having it printed out, whereas on the roadside caches, it seems simpler and less waste to have them on the PDA.

What do you actually see on the screen of your PDA compared to what comes up on the screen of the desktop when you access a cache page?

I have a Dell Axim X3.

I, too, would like to have the cache pages loaded on it, rather than printing them all out.

I already loaded GPX Sonar, but then found that not being a premium member, it is of no use.

If all I wish for is having cache pages viewable on the Axim, is GPX Sonar and joining as a premium enough?

(maybe later, I will want more, but Baby Steps for now)

I use GSAK too to manage and create the .gpx data required

Concerns;

Do you guys carry your PDAs out on your hikes with you? yesI would rather not do that. Carrying a folded piece of paper in my pocket seems easier. True.  But i thought you wanted to go paperless. So it seems a tradeoff; on longer, harder chaches, I think I would probably prefer having it printed out, whereas on the roadside caches, it seems simpler and less waste to have them on the PDA.  Get started and then try both methods.  You'll settle on what's best for you after trying it.

What do you actually see on the screen of your PDA compared to what comes up on the screen of the desktop when you access a cache page? Mini version of an HTML without the pictures

Edited by Alan2

thanks Alan2 for the advice

I DID get the premium membership, and loaded a couple of pocket queries to my Axim.

AWESOME

then I received my N.G. Topo last night, and so I imported caches to it, and have printed out some maps of areas I want to explore when I go vacachening

after I get the feel for these two additions, maybe I will try the GSAK

I really appreciate you guys that take the time to help out us starters. Classy!

Hello all

Do you know you already have a html veiwer on your pda no matter what OS or version of PDA you use. Its IE. Most times I just use the pda to go online and veiw the page. Then when i'm in the feild it's held in memory of the IE. Therefore allowing me to veiw it even if i'm not online. You don't even need any new adapters. While your syncing or after its done leave it open, pick up your axim and go to IE and type the URL into the URL window. login or not and pull up the cache you want. Once its veiwed its saved into your IE.

I see so many people get cought up in buying software that already exists on the PDA. I just don't get it. I could copy and paste the coordinates right into my mapping software and there I am.

However I too will try the GPX Veiw to see if it is better or just more steps to get the same results.

What ever floats your boat or sales on your mast..either way get out and Cache'.

Just trying to install GPXSonar on my new Dell Axim X5, however despite downloading the latest version and running PPC2003 I get an error message stating "GPXSonar is not a valid Pocket PC application"

Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

Thanks.

Hello all

Do you know you already have a html veiwer on your pda no matter what OS or version of PDA you use.

Good point.

I have a really old pda (Casio E-11) running Windows CE 2.0 (its about 6-7 years old).

I haven't really even used it in the past couple of years and I just dug it out to see what it could do.

My PDA didn't come with a html view per se, it has a 'channels' viewer which is crap. But you can easily download freeware html viewers.

I realized (with some reading on the forums) that GSAK will generate html files that you can export.

So I just do the export, then copy them to my pda.

Then I just use my web browser on the pda to view the caches. GSAK generates an index.html file that lets you sort based on several different options including distance, bearing, name, placed by, travel bugs....

Really simple.

Now I can go paperless and I didn't have to spend a bunch of money and I wasn't even really trying.