Best GPS for less

kathy88

I have been thinking of buying myself a new gps also, and have decided on either the Etrex vista or Magellan sportrack pro. Both units have mapping abilities and a compass. They both have the same water proof standard. They also include more memory for mapping then their siblings. price range $250.00-350.00.

If the amount of memory for maps is less important then cost, you could go for the Etrex legend(blue) or the sporttrack map. Price range $185.00-250.00 They both offer maps and waterproof standard. But less memory meaning less map. I also believe that the Sporttrack includes a compass. As for the serial cable, I think that they all come with that and that usb is not a option. I would recommend a A-B switch though you have to make sure it is switched properly each time you boot the computer. Hope this helps

[This message was edited by Kusanagi on August 01, 2002 at 02:18 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by The Face:

ER...I know this is a bit off the topic, but dosent anyone use the Garmin 12 anymore?

I know it dosent have mapping,I dont need a electric map..I got loads of De Lorme map books and a good memory,plus with a little ingenuity you can use a basic GPSR to do 90% of what a mapping unit does.

I get GREAT fixes under cover of trees and in valleys, beat the heck outta my unit ,use it all four seasons(in Wisconsin no less),rain,sunclouds whatever,it didn't cost much compared to other units ,I've compared it to Mag. units and it 10x easier to use (with either hand),+ its that nice black that goes well with the nazi style stilleto heels!

So WTH?...no one else uses this simple beauty anymore?

I started with a GPS 12, had it for years. I've lost it and bought another then found it, bought a GPS12SX I think it is. Bought two emaps and a Vista. The 12's all I ever use.

Mike

Never forget, It's just a game.

Like you, I checked out the websites, asked some folks who had GPS's, and wound up with an Etrex Vista anyway icon_wink.gif. The Garmin vs. Magellan wars are about as informative as Ford vs. Chevy. My take on it is neither company would be in business if their products weren't competitive, so the choice is yours. That said, your choice really has to be made on features first, then price, because you can find a good price on just about any of the GPS units out there. I like the Vista for hiking because of its near perfect size and weight, but it's overkill. The compass and altimeter are neat toys, but absolutely not essential. Like previous posters said, a cheap handheld compass will do the job of the electronic one, and it won't kill your batteries. Using an Etrex to navigate in your car is suicide, although I do it on occasion (and they think cell phones are dangerous!). As for reception, they ALL go nuts under heavy tree cover but there are ways to overcome that (the compass comes in handy). Some receivers hang in longer than others in adverse conditions, but I've seen my Vista hold a lock while a Garmin V couldn't (a very rare exception I'm sure).

The one feature I could not live without is mapping. You can orient yourself to landmarks (ponds, streets, etc.) to give yourself an idea of where you are in relation to a cache. You can plot a driving route to save yourself a lot of time getting from A to B in unfamiliar territory. On longer hikes it's nice to see the progress you are making right there on the map - you can keep better track of time and distance so you're back at the car by dark.

As for price, stay out of WalMart - at least around here they are charging MSRP for the Etrex line. Try the extremely nice and informed folks at www.tvnav.com. They have great prices and service and even better advice. And for some informed and unbiased opinions, have you checked out Joe Mehaffey's website?

Yup, all the GPSs out there are good, but they all have their own purpose. I've used both Garmin and Magellan. I would have to say that the Garmins have more features but the Magellans are easier to use. Head to head, the Magellans outperformed the Garmins in heavy tree cover.

Since your husband is a surveyer, I assume he would prefer the more advanced units. The Mapping software will also be a must. I have used SoftMap and Fugawi however neither will download maps into a Magellan or Garmin. Unfortunately you'll need the Magellan Mapsend or the Garmin Mapsource for that. But in both cases, the best scale is 100000:1. The mapping software like Fugawi uses standard topographical maps - use it to set up your routes and then download these into the GPS. You can also use it for long term track/route/waypoint storage.

I'm new to geocaching, but I've been using GPSs for years boating, ATVing, snowmobiling, hiking. I am about to upgrade and am planning on buying the Magellan Meridian Platinum. Having the built in compass is a really nice feature. But you should also carry a standard compass and topo map for when those batteries wear out.

If you hang on for another month or so, Garmin is coming out with the Rhino 120. Its got mapping, a new external antenna (like the Magellan 315/320) and to top it off, its a FRS radio as well. Hopefully the new antenna will improve its reception in heavy tree cover.

My 2 Cents!