Best GPS for less

kathy88

My husband has been wanting a hand held GPS so all of you experts out there give me some advice. What is the best GPS for the least amount of money? Last year at Christmas I looked at Wal-mart and they had several, I did some research online but the more I read the more confused I got so he didn't get one!! icon_eek.gif

icon_rolleyes.gifmy note added 7/31/02:

Boy.....has everyone gotten off the subject here OR WHAT?? I started getting advice about GPS's but now everyone is talking about geometry, and calculations, and wth all and I still don't have a GPS! icon_eek.gif

Kathy in WV icon_razz.gif

[This message was edited by kathy88 on July 31, 2002 at 05:28 PM.]

Kathy, I'm a recent addition to this sport as well. After spending quite a while researching, we also went with the basic yellow Etrex by Garmin. There are models out there with a lot more bells and whistles, but for a beginner to GPS and someone who is not going to be using it for much more than geochaching and maybe some simple hiking navigation, I have found no faults with this unit. It's fairly rugged, I've yet to have a problem with reception, and I am quite impressed with it's capabilities. This is my opinion of course, since I've never actually used a Magellan unit, but for an economically minded shopper, as I was, I would have to say that I have no complaints with my little yellow Etrex!

Ok, now that I've started the gps wars, let me explain my experience with the Etrex. I bought a Garmin Etrex and soon discovered that they are an ergonomic disaster. The click stick is on the upper-left side of the unit. Which means if you're right-handed like most people, you have to reach across the unit with your thumb to move the click-stick. If your thumb is long enough and you're able to do this, you subsequently block out about 20% of your screen. wtf?

Now, if you're left-handed, you might still have issues with the etrex because there are buttons located on both sides of the unit. Zoom on the left and power, light, and menu (i think) on the right. The locations of these buttons make it very ackward to operate. Sometimes I had to use two hands to get to the functions I wanted conveniently. It's like some engineers at etrex began the design, then they fired the whole unit and brought in new people to take over.

Also, I have been reading the 'Units and Software' forum and some people have been having problems with the durability of the etrex. In the first week that I had my Legend I dropped it less than 3 feet and one of the screens went haywire.

Ok, so for a starter unit, I would recommend a magellan 330 or 310. Much more durable and much easier to operate with one hand and you don't block any of the screen in doing so.

I really liked my eTrex, however, it had no mapping capability, which isn't terribly important but a little annoying. I upgraded to the eMap, which has been great. It has the base map built in and will load the MapSource maps, which are really handy. It is more expensive than the eTrex, but is still a bargain at $200'ish (less on eBay if you watch for them).

icon_eek.gif Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son!

quote:
Originally posted by mrplug:

Now, if you're left-handed, you might still have issues with the etrex because there are buttons located on both sides of the unit. Zoom on the left and power, light, and menu (i think) on the right.

Hmph. I am left-handed, and for some reason, it never struck me why my eTrex was so easy to operate icon_smile.gif Now that you mention these things, I notice them. However, I have no real difficulty operating all the buttons fully leftie.

Unlike PDA's which are fully rightie, and make it difficult for me to operate icon_frown.gif

if i remember what the manuael for my extrex said, the extrex was designed to be held in one hand(the left hand) and it is easiest to opperate if you learn to use it that way.

quote:

Ok, now that I've started the gps wars, let me explain my experience with the Etrex. I bought a Garmin Etrex and soon discovered that they are an ergonomic disaster. The click stick is on the upper-left side of the unit. Which means if you're right-handed like most people, you have to reach across the unit with your thumb to move the click-stick. If your thumb is long enough and you're able to do this, you subsequently block out about 20% of your screen. wtf?

Now, if you're left-handed, you might still have issues with the etrex because there are buttons located on both sides of the unit. Zoom on the left and power, light, and menu (i think) on the right. The locations of these buttons make it very ackward to operate. Sometimes I had to use two hands to get to the functions I wanted conveniently. It's like some engineers at etrex began the design, then they fired the whole unit and brought in new people to take over.

Also, I have been reading the 'Units and Software' forum and some people have been having problems with the durability of the etrex. In the first week that I had my Legend I dropped it less than 3 feet and one of the screens went haywire.

Ok, so for a starter unit, I would recommend a magellan 330 or 310. Much more durable and much easier to operate with one hand and you don't block any of the screen in doing so.

whack.gif

quote:
if i remember what the manuael for my extrex said, the extrex was designed to be held in one hand(the left hand) and it is easiest to opperate if you learn to use it that way.

Etrex Legend in my left hand and my walking stick in my right... works for this right-handed newbie!

I'm right-handed and operating the eTrex Venture's click-stick with my left hand works pretty well for me. Never was an issue as far as I'm concerned...

But to answer your original question, the only other experience that I have with a less expensive GPS is with the basic eTrex (which is yellow). It has no click-stick to begin with (so that will not be a concern) and I used it a couple of times before shipping it out to my sister. It worked fine for geocaching and only cost about $99 via an online purchase. I saw it once for $79, though it normally retails for $120.

I think your husband will be happy with this unit --- you may not be once you realize that you just got him addicted to a very fun activity!

quote:

Which means if you're right-handed like most people, you have to reach across the unit with your thumb to move the click-stick.

No, if you're right-handed like most people, you hold the eTrex in your left hand. Likewise, if you're left-handed like not-most people, you hold the eTrex in your left hand. Just like the manual says. I'm very right-handed, but had no trouble getting used to operating it with my left hand in a day or so. It's not like it's handwriting or anything, and I'm happy to have my right hand free for things that actually require dexterity (Latin pun intended).

I'd have to agree that the eTrex Yellow (basic) is a pretty good starting place. Fits in a pocket, runs about 24 hours on a single set of AAs, waterproof... All for <$100.

I'm surprised to hear about a GPS315/320 or MAP330 being more 'durable'. My wife dropped my Vista over 100' on 7/1, and it is still working (though the altimeter was whacked until I cleaned out the tiny pitot hole in the back). The basic eTrex has always seemed even more indestructable.

That said, I think that either the GPS315 or the MAP330 would be a good bargain for a starting GPS as well.

-jjf

We just bought the Magellan SporTrak Pro, and we really like it a lot. However, we *knew* we liked Geocaching before investing that much money. We had already hunted several caches. We knew what we wanted in a GPS, and bought the Pro based on that.

For your husband, I think the recommendations for the yellow Etrex are good. You might watch the GPS Garage Sale forum here, in addition to watching eBay and online stores, and see where you can get the best price.

I would add one thing to the recommendation, though - also buy him an inexpensive compass. There is one sold by Wal-mart that has been recommended in the past. When he loses his satellite lock under tree cover, he can use the compass to help find the cache. We have wanted one a few times already, and are in the process of buying one.

Shannah

I have the Garmin eTrex vista wich is a very good unit.. but the price is also a little high..

The eTrex uits are all great units.. It depends on what you need.. Mapping is not needed for geocaching.. so a basic Yellow etrex would do the job very well and the price is also not shocking..

Irresisti

N12º 55.475

E100º 52.865

Like many I also bought the yellow Etrex when I got interested in geocaching, before I was willing to spend more money. The unit is designed to be used in the left hand (as mentioned by many people), but I have been using it in my right hand and I have no problems doing that. It does not have the little joystick, which might be an issue on the pricier units.

It has been as robust as I needed it to be. I have dropped it several times from heights of about 5ft and no problems. The plastic screen is a bit prone to scratching such as if you drop it on rocks and it falls on the screen or you slip and fall on rocks. So far I have not gotten a protective cover, but that is an option.

I have also use an Etrex Legend with the built-in base map. This is a nice feature, but not a must have for geocaching in most cases if you are willing to do a bit of map research on the computer before heading out.

The only problem that I have with the basic Etrex is that now that I have a perfectly good GPS for geocaching I can't convince myself to spend more money to upgrade to a nicer unit (I would like to have the mapping features at some point).

I'm happy with my yellow eTrex as well.. but I keep holding the !@@#$ thing in my right hand. No matter where I hold it, I keep getting the 'page' and 'enter' buttons confused, which can be highly annoying when you're ready to enter something and accidentally switch pages instead.

But it works, and works well, and we've found about a dozen caches with it. It's also by far the cheapest unit I came across.

If he does I would recommend the Etrex Camo I have one. The reason is, the camo unit has sun rise and sunset info. This is handy for hunting regulations that read from sunrise to sunset. It has a page for the best times for hunting and fishing but I don't use that. Any time is the best time for me!

Other than that I think the Yellow and the camo are the same. The camo unit runs 129 at wal mart. Neither of these units have a PC cord. YOu will have to buy one. They cost between 15 and 35 dollars depending were you get them. But if I were to get another GPS it would be the venture. By the time you get a PC cord for the Camo unit you will pay between 145.00 and 165.00

The venture HAS a cable and can do everything the camo unit can and the some. This unit is 150 to 170.00

Ron

I purchase an Etrex Venture a few days ago for $169 from Circuit City (can be found for a little less online) and am happy with it so far. The reason I went with it over the base Etrex was that it came with the computer adapter, and from what I can tell, you can't hook a basic model up to a computer. Granted, it's a gadget, but for not very much more money, it is a VERY nice gadget. I love being able to log on and in 5 minutes download every cache location within 15 miles of my home.

Also, the venture is green, which goes much better with my backpack.

Fox

quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Ron:

If he does I would recommend the Etrex Camo I have one. The reason is, the camo unit has sun rise and sunset info. This is handy for hunting regulations that read from sunrise to sunset. It has a page for the best times for hunting and fishing but I don't use that.

My Yellow eTrex also has sunrise/sunset, accessed from the navigation screen (up/down cycles through sunset, sunrise, altitude, bearing, heading, etc.). I just bought it a couple of weeks ago, so maybe it's only in recent firmware. It does not have best hunting/fishing times, though.

Okay, so now that I've read everyone's advice I go to Wal-Mart and look around. The yellow icon_smile.gifeTrex is $120 but no mapping & husband [who is a surveyor by trade] says he wants mapping so that one is out. Then I notice the blue icon_frown.gifeTrex that has mapping......but it's not waterproof.....that's out [i think it was $148]. They have a Magellen Meridian and a Lowrance something or other that both have mapping and are both $220. I like the Meridian icon_biggrin.gif but I think the PC cable requires a 9-pin serial port and my computer only has one and it's taken up icon_razz.gif by my PC cord to my Rand McNally Trip thingy.

icon_confused.gif Why, oh why, don't they have USB!! Is there one out there with a USB PC cable that anyone knows of?

Oh dear,

Please - whatever you do, don't get the "Yellow" ETrex.

If you wear a red skirt, it will clash! Oh, the drama!

Trust me, Mag 315 - basic black; goes with anything and will match your high heels beautifully.

I bought a pair of Nazi style high heels that have the same shape as that sweet little antenna nub on the Maggie... oh - heaven!

I get really hot reception if I gently rub that little nub of an antenna it has...

Wait, I feel light headed and think I may faint...

oooooohhhhhhhh....(plop)

--majicman

(Always trade UP in both quantity and quality and Geocaches will be both self-sustaining and self-improving!)

quote:
Originally posted by kathy88:

....Then I notice the blue icon_frown.gifeTrex that has mapping......but it's not waterproof.....that's out [i think it was $148]....

Just a quick note to state that I think the above statement is incorrect. I looked at the product comparison on Garmin's web site and noted that all of the eTrex series units are waterproof to the identical IPX7 Standard which is "Submerged to 1 meter for 30 minutes".

Hope this information helps....does it bring the blue eTrex back into contention??

BGunner01

Garmin GPS III+'s sell for just over $150 on ebay usually with a lot of accessories. Might want to check those out. I have owned my III+ for almost three years now, and I am very happy with it. Waterproof, mapping, sunrise and set, and the map data you can add to it if you need it make it a great unit. I think the only thing I would replace my III+ with would be a GPS V.

quote:
Originally posted by majicman:

Oh dear,

I get really hot reception if I gently rub that little nub of an antenna it has...

oooooohhhhhhhh....(plop)

--majicman

You gotta watch what your rubbing!!! icon_wink.gif

"Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes."

I have both the yellow Etrex and the vista. The yellow Etrex is a great beginner GPS. I picked mine up for $80 at BestBuy. The vista has all the bells and whistles which are cool but really drain the power. If I were gonna buy a unit to replace them both it would be the Etrex Legend. It has most of the features of the vista except altimeter and compass. Both of these features kill batteries quick and are really not needed. The legend can be had for around $200. This makes it a real value.

quote:

First, the Yellow Etrex doesn't have a click-stick, could you have intended to say "Etrex Legend"?

Second, the basic Yellow Etex is designed to be held in the left hand. I'm a righty, so I find it a little odd to use my left hand. But it works very well and is very easy to use. Try it!

Last © icon_biggrin.gif, I don't think a new user on a budget could do better than the Yellow One. There may be others that would be just as good a fit, but I don't know about them.

Keep on Caching

Bluespreacher

"We've got the hardware and the software, the plans and the maps ..." -- Citizen Wayne Kramer

quote:
Originally posted by majicman:

Oh dear,

Please - whatever you do, don't get the "Yellow" ETrex.

If you wear a red skirt, it will clash! Oh, the drama!

Trust me, Mag 315 - basic black; goes with anything and will match your high heels beautifully.

I bought a pair of Nazi style high heels that have the same shape as that sweet little antenna nub on the Maggie... oh - heaven!

oooooohhhhhhhh....(plop)

--majicman

(Always trade UP in both quantity and quality and Geocaches will be both self-sustaining and self-improving!)

Oh, sure, bring fashion sense into it! My Legend matches my eyes (Blue not 16 shades of gray).

The antenna thing sounds like an incentive, though! Who knew? icon_eek.gif

Bluespreacher

"We've got the hardware and the software, the plans and the maps ..." -- Citizen Wayne Kramer

I use a meridian platinum.. er.. but I guess that doesn't really help much on the cost issue icon_biggrin.gif

So far as left/right handedness, I'm right handed but I carry and use my GPS in my left hand. I never noticed until I read this thread icon_smile.gif

I bought my girlfriend a yellow eTrex. My #1 gripe about it was that it didn't show co-ords in realtime as you moved around, however at the time I was still using my Streetpilot and I narrowed in on caches by watching the co-ords rather than doing things the sane way.

snazzsig.jpg

I am new here also.

I have been reading many of these messages and reading on the Internet about users opinions of their GPS units.

I have decided for the Maggelan 315 unit as it is waterproof and has many nice features, and is only about $150 which I can maybe pay.

I would like to find a used one, but I don't know if that is a good idea.

Has any persons here bought used GPS and how did you enjoy it?

NJ_Tonto

(Yes, Kimosabe...)

OK I'll weigh in on this one. I did some research and narrowed it down to the Magellan Meridian Platinum and the Etrex Vista. (I don't go for the idea of buying cheap and upgrading.) I went with the Meridian. As fortune would have it, my in-laws have both the Vista and the Garmen Map(?). Here are my impressions.

1) The Meridian beat hands down the Garmen Map. I was able to hold a fix in the car and under trees whild the Garmen lost it completly. Didn't have a chance to compare against the Etrex but Epinions.com gives them poor opinions for reception.

2) The Etrex is great for serious hiking. The small size and finger and thumb buttons are ergonomically nice. However, they would be a bear to operate in a cradle in your car. The Meridian is much better in a cradle as the buttons are clearly marked and on the front. It also can be operated with one hand but the necessary hand position is not as secure so a stumble or near fall may send the thing flying.

3) The Etrex display has better resolution but again it is small. Not good for a car but OK for hiking. The Meridian is still OK for both.

4) Base map detail was about the same. Meridian can have its memory expanded, not the Etrex.

5) Both have electronic compasses. The Meridian has a fuller integration of it in its operation. It also doesn't have to be perfectly level to operate.

Theres probably other considerations but those were the main ones that stood out for me.

I bought my girlfriend a yellow eTrex. My #1 gripe about it was that it didn't show co-ords in realtime as you moved around...

My yellow etrex, purchased about two months ago, can indeed show coordinates in real time as you walk around. I don't have it with me, and I forget exactly where this information is (mentally trying to push buttons and watch screens, but it's not working), but I know it exists.

quote:
Originally posted by Kite & Hawkeye:

My yellow etrex, purchased about two months ago, can indeed show coordinates in real time as you walk around.

If you can find out or remember, I'd love to know how to enable that. The only way we could figure was to go like we were going to mark a waypoint, but that just shows the current co-ords and only updates when you cancel and re-mark.

snazzsig.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Snazz:

If you can find out or remember, I'd love to know how to enable that. The only way we could figure was to go like we were going to mark a waypoint, but that just shows the current co-ords and only updates when you cancel and re-mark.

http://geo.mrsnazz.com/snazzsig.jpg

I have the Legend, but if you go to the page that displays the satelite strength signal, down towards the bottom it displays the coords. in real time, maybe the Yellow eTrex is similar???

C-Troop

If you're on a budget, you can't go wrong with the yellow etrex.

Once you upgrade to a different etrex model, however, the choice is not so clear.

Here's my experience.

Having purchased an etrex 'venture', I was quite pleased with the units ability to easily fit into a shirt pocket, and the menus/screens were easy to read and navigate. I did notice, however, that the unit had some difficulity getting a fix under moderate tree cover ...100 ft(+,-) accuracy was as good as it got. (Flashing the firmware to the latest revision made no difference.)

After about a week of light use, the 'click stick' suddenly refused to move the cursor to the 'up' position, and I (grudgingly) returned the unit. While there, (and after explaining the problem) I asked the salesperson if they had seen other etrex units returned for the same problem. The answer was 'yes' at least one other unit had been returned for that very same reason (and this was at a small local sporting goods store).

At that same time, I decided to take a look at the Magellans, and after comparing the different models/prices, I chose the SporTrak Pro.

IMHO, after using both models, the difference between the Etrex and the SporTrak are like night and day ...the SporTrak can pinpoint the position (in the same moderate tree cover) within a few feet, with a much 'tighter' look and feel to satellite reception.

So,...if you can afford the $260 for the SporTrack Pro ...it is definitely worth it.

(My only gripe is that I sure liked the compact size of the etrex unit.)

if you go to the screen with the compass thingy on it, and use the up/down keys on the side and scroll around there, you will go through a bunch of small boxes under the compass (EG bearing, heading, speed) and eventually you will get to coordinates.

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Snazz:

quote:
Originally posted by Kite & Hawkeye:

My yellow etrex, purchased about two months ago, can indeed show coordinates in real time as you walk around.

http://geo.mrsnazz.com/snazzsig.jpg

SR and dboggny. WHAT?!?!

Well my biggest concern is a units ability to hold lock under tree cover. My Garmin GPS ///+ does a great job on this but to be honest I am not looking to drop $300+ on my friends on GPS's for Xmass icon_smile.gif Iw oudl spend about 125-150 each on the units, and options are not a big deal they can worry about that later.

I just don't want them to get disheartened about Caching becuase the unit looses sat lock when you throw some leaves at it.

Suggestions ? BTW - It has to be Garmin I have a hook up on them. Think Cost icon_smile.gif

-Robert

I guess I should put my 2 cents worth in also. I did a lot a shopping around. I also played with a Garmin Vista and GPS V before settling on a Sportrak Pro. I really liked the GPS V even though it was $350. The problem was the only way I could get it at that price was online and I just couldn't wait. I have really enjoyed the Sportrak Pro and it was $100 cheaper which payed for the Topo spftware. Do your research and make your decision. No matter what you choose if you choose a Magellan or a Garmin you can't really go wrong.

AS YOU CAN SEE,THERE ARE MANY FAVORITES.IM SOMEWHAT NEW AND HAVE AN UPGRADED MAG 315,I DONT THINK THEY COME ANY BETTER.MOST OF MY CACHES ARE IN HEAVY WOODED AREAS,AND FROM WHAT I READ,ITS THE BEST FOR THAT. WHATEVER YOU GET,YOU WILL HAVE A LOT OF FUN.....GOOD LUCK icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by bigbill6:

AS YOU CAN SEE,THERE ARE MANY FAVORITES.IM SOMEWHAT NEW AND HAVE AN UPGRADED MAG 315,I DONT THINK THEY COME ANY BETTER.MOST OF MY CACHES ARE IN HEAVY WOODED AREAS,AND FROM WHAT I READ,ITS THE BEST FOR THAT. WHATEVER YOU GET,YOU WILL HAVE A LOT OF FUN.....GOOD LUCK icon_smile.gif

Why are you shouting at us?

(Hey, Big Bill. You see that little "Caps Lock" key there on your keyboard? - Turn the light off, please...)

--majicman

Garmin GPS V - $375 at AdvancedGPS

• 19MB memory - download topo AND street maps

• Turn-by-turn navigation with auto-routing (great for driving to the cache - when you park, change to "off-road" mode to get a map with a constantly updating arrow to the cache)

• 256 x 160 pixel x 4 level gray display

• Waterproof - IPX7 - 1 meter for 30 minutes

• "Geocache" and "Geocache Found" icons

• Many extra features - Calendar, Calculator, Sunrise/Sunset, Hunting/Fishing times, Gas Mileage

I started out with a Magellan ColorTrak, then a Garmin GPS III+, and now the GPS V. (I still have the ColorTrak if anyone wants it (but doesn't the GPS V just have your mouth watering?) Bidding for the ColorTrak starts at $20.)

Lil Devil lildevil.gif

No, my husband used to hunt but doesn't anymore. He lost his hunting spot [a private farm] and doesn't care to risk public hunting......too many crazies out there. Besides, he's lost the desire to hunt with a gun, much preferring the camera now.

We do know that we want a unit with the mapping feature and compass for sure.

Kathy in WV

quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Ron:

If he does I would recommend the Etrex Camo I have one. The reason is, the camo unit has sun rise and sunset info. This is handy for hunting regulations that read from sunrise to sunset. It has a page for the best times for hunting and fishing but I don't use that. Any time is the best time for me!

Other than that I think the Yellow and the camo are the same. The camo unit runs 129 at wal mart. Neither of these units have a PC cord. YOu will have to buy one. They cost between 15 and 35 dollars depending were you get them. But if I were to get another GPS it would be the venture. By the time you get a PC cord for the Camo unit you will pay between 145.00 and 165.00

The venture HAS a cable and can do everything the camo unit can and the some. This unit is 150 to 170.00

Ron

I have a Sportrak which as 23 meg available for mapping and is very good. I have also used a Garmin GPS V which has 19 meg available. My Sportrak has a compass, but it is disabled when you input waypoints for the goto. The Garmin does not have a compass feature. Either of these units would be excellent for what you want, and it doesn't cost that much to purchase a compass.

i would highly recommend the garmin emap. its more useful than a regular non mapping gps like the 315. i justified its purchase because in addition to geocaching i can use it to find my way home when i'm lost.

i just got mine for 250 including the pc cable and the cd-rom with the map of USA.

good luck!

ER...I know this is a bit off the topic, but dosent anyone use the Garmin 12 anymore?

I know it dosent have mapping,I dont need a electric map..I got loads of De Lorme map books and a good memory,plus with a little ingenuity you can use a basic GPSR to do 90% of what a mapping unit does.

I get GREAT fixes under cover of trees and in valleys, beat the heck outta my unit ,use it all four seasons(in Wisconsin no less),rain,sunclouds whatever,it didnt cost much compared to other units ,I've compared it to Mag. units and it 10x easier to use (with either hand),+ its that nice black that goes well with the nazi style stilleto heels!

So WTH?...no one else uses this simple beauty anymore?

I vote for the eTrex Vista. I've had mine for a while now. When I was driving to jobs for work & such, I could load up the 24MB of memory with MetroGuides from Williamsport to Washington DC and everything in between. This includes the ability to search by street address or locate the nearest restaurant. Very cool in a strange town.

Now I load up Topos for miles around my planned hikes -- and the basic maps still show the main highways to get me around.

Form factor of the Vista is cool. Small & light, I don't mind carrying it when backpacking. (When not in use it travels nicely in a little neoprene sleeve designed for those little candle lanterns!) I'm right handed and quite happy with the left-handed use of the click-stick control. It frees my good hand for important tasks like moving briars out of the way and wiping sweat.

I have been pleasantly surprised at the reception of the Vista. Many years ago I had two Magellans (1200 & 1200XL) that didn't work on rainy days, let alone with any trees in the area. Yeah, I know they're better now, but what can I say? They're the reason I didn't look at the new Mags.

Battery life (2AA) on the Vista is a little spotty though. Alkalines work for about 12 hours. Lithiums (lighter than alkalines, too!) go closer to 16, but die with little advance notice. The compass and altimiter do drain the power, but you can easily turn the compass on/off as needed. And there is a system setting that turns the compass off when you are moving since it can figure which direction you are going without it.

Tips: Set to Battery Saver mode, WAAS off, compass off, North up, backlight off for best results. When you are zeroing in on the cache, turn on the compass. WAAS is useless unless you have a "broad" view of the sky, so don't bother under trees.

Summary: I really like my Vista. It packs well, it works well, it maps well. And the little arrow points right to the treasure. icon_wink.gif It definitely meets the "best" requirement, but not the "for less". The eTrex Legend (the clear blue one) would seem to be a nice compromise -- still load your own maps, no compass, no altimiter, save $107. (Buy a regular compass for $7 & you're still $100 richer!)

[This message was edited by PJG3 on August 01, 2002 at 01:12 PM.]