What Magellan Do You Own ?

GOT GPS?

First Question: What Magellans do you have now?

Second question: What Magellans did you have before?

--------------------------

I have the SporTrak Color GPS, because it was on sale for $199 at Costco.

I have had the Meridian Platinum, ColorTrak, 4000XL 12Ch., and tried the Meridian Color.

Hi,

I started off with the Sportrak, and loved it. It broke while I was out caching one day. and when I got in touch with Magellan, they offered to upgrade it to whatever model I wanted, I only needed to pay the difference in suggested retail price. I now geocache with a Meridian Platinum, and love it!

nfa-jamie

Meridian Platinum. I consider the SD card essential for my use. While I've been happy with the plat, I am feeling the itch for color, but haven't felt drawn to the current offering(s). So I'll be giving the expected Explorist 400/500 models a close look in the spring.

I use the meridian yellow. I got a great deal on it about 2 years ago from outpost.com. I don't see any other units in the pricerange that are in the same league. I have a 256 SD card and could probably load the entire country onto it in mapsend.

I just hope it never dies! I would be forced to by another meridian. I see the yellow/green on ebay going for about the same price I paid two years ago. What a value. I wonder why they discontinued it?

I have a Magellan 315 (had since June 8 2000- I celebrate their birthdays ), and a Meridian Platinum (not sure when I got this unit, but ordered my first meridian October 15, 2001 (their release date)). I have been happy with my Magellan units, and would have no problem purchasing another or recommending them.

In the past, I have had a Magellan 330 and a meridian gold. Sold the 330 to get the gold, and Magellan traded me even up my gold for the platinum (I had the blue spot problems and some other stuff...).

Wyatt W.

edit: spelling

Edited by phantom4099
Meridian Platinum. I consider the SD card essential for my use. While I've been happy with the plat, I am feeling the itch for color, but haven't felt drawn to the current offering(s). So I'll be giving the expected Explorist 400/500 models a close look in the spring.

Ditto, although I also consider the 3-axis electronic compass to be equally as important for my intents and purposes. The current color offerings just don't have it for me yet.

My first GPS was a Magellan 2000 which I bought back in 95. Being a two channel sequential unit, it had so much trouble in the trees and mountains that I primarily only used it on my boat, and to carry for backup navigation while hiking.

More recently, I had two sportrak maps, but I gave them both to the kids a few months back. My current GPS collection is mostly garmin: GIII+, Legend, Vista C, Forerunner, and for use in the car I have a Globalsat BC-307 CF unit that I use on a Dell Axim.

Interesting to see the brand loyalty here. Only one poster mentioned that he had switched to Garmin.

I would imagine that Garmin users feel the same way about their units.

Fascinating! :laughing:

From my own perspective - I have always been happy with the Magellan products, and never felt the need to even look at the others. I couldn't tell you what features the Garmin units have as I have never bothered to compare.

I understand, though, that Magellan have superior antenna technology, but I stand to be corrected.

Started in 2001 with a 315. Sometime in 2002, upgraded to 330 when Sam's offered it in a package with MapSend, the car adapter/pc cable, and the windshield mount. Haven't had the urge to buy something else. It does everything I need it to do. I don't need more memory since I carry a laptop when I travel. I would like one with color but I'm not willing to pony up that kind of money when I have a perfectly fine unit now. Even when it finally gives up the ghost, I will likely send it in for "repairs" and get a refurbished 330 back from them. I wouldn't use it as credit against an upgrade as the savings against MSRP is not that great. Now, if they no longer take in 330's for repair, then I will be open and consider all makes and models.

:laughing:

Have a Garmin 60CS (recent purchase 2 wks), Fortrex 101, and Forunner 101 (6mths) as well as a Magellan Meridian Color (1.5 yrs) and Colortrak (2 yrs).

Use the Meridian color more in the car now as too big & awkward to carry around and uses alot of battery power hiking (wanted the sport track color model but store was all out when I got there so took the Meridian rather than waiting a few weeks for another shipment) Just recently purchased the Garmin 60CS as seemed to have good battery life & geo-cache features for a color unit from reviews and other threads. Find good quality from both Magellan & Garmin products, each unit has their good points and not so good points. I admit my gadget addition but also need several units as family members always seems to be out with one or another and I'm usually left holding a compass on the hiking or biking trails........ :)

Interesting to see the brand loyalty here. Only one poster mentioned that he had switched to Garmin.

In my admittedly limited time in the forums, I sense an almost

religion-like rift between Garmin and Magellan users.

Sorta like Windows vs. Mac.

You absolutely cannot reason with those people!

Which leads, inevitably, to the ugly truth that, to them, you are those people.

In my admittedly limited time in the forums, I sense an almost

religion-like rift between Garmin and Magellan users.

Sorta like Windows vs. Mac.

You absolutely cannot reason with those people!

Which leads, inevitably, to the ugly truth that, to them, you are those people.

Not necessarily. If you're like me, you can't afford to replace them or buy multiple units. So you pick according to the bells and whistles you want and can afford and you make it work for you.

I know several people who have gone and purchased both brands. They use them for the environment they work best in.

The "religious" aspect comes in when you get yahoos who will come in and stir the pot by saying you shoulda bought a (opposite brand here) instead of (that brand here). It just ticks people off when a remark like that is made after a serious question was asked and you get a tongue-in-cheek non-answer.

I started out with a Meridian - Green. I used it for over 175 cache finds, before I decided it was time to move up to a Meridian Gold. I still use both GPSr, but it depends on where I plan to hunt caches. I use the Gold because it has the street routing capability - perfect for navigating to get to your destination (usually urban caches). The green I use the TOPO software and use that for when I go on hikes - good to get an idea of the terrain.

Started with 315 during the days of Selective Availability. Was thrilled on occasion to se an EPE of less than 100 feet. :( The GreaterForse surprised me in the spring of 2002 by buying me a 330, which I still use. I don't have any particular thoughts on what I might replace it with in the future. I would like to get something with direct routing and turn prompting. When my 330 gives out, who knows what features and accuracy will be available.

GeoForse

I got me a Map 330. 

Does the job, though i am kinda craving WAAS B)

With the Latest Firmware, I think the 330 Does have WAAS.

Yes. The Map 330 always had WAAS hardware. The first models came out without the firmware, in anticipation of the availability of WAAS to the public.

When I was looking into my second GPSr I discovered this. Which made it easier to find a Map 330. I could buy one with or without WAAS, and upgrade the firmware.

So that was my first Magellan, the Map 330. I researched all GPSr for a year and bought the best GPSr on the market, at the time, the Meridian Platinum.

A couple of months later the Color came out. I coveted it for a couple of years, and upgraded to the Color this summer.

Great receiver. All maps look better in color.