What Is The Longest Someone Has Held A Bug!

Piston Hed

OK, someone held onto a bug since late 2003. It happens.

Did you notice that the geocacher's occupation is listed as "USMC" and that he only had a couple of cache finds after picking up the bug? Perhaps he is occupied elsewhere with more pressing tasks.

One of my bugs was held hostage for 16 months before a friend pried it away from the bugnapper and released it back into the wild. And that was a local geocacher in my own area, not some stranger 2000 miles away!

Bugs disappear. I've found 100 and about 1/3 of those are listed as being in a travel bug graveyard or an "Unknown Location."

Thank you Leprechauns for pointing out that the finder is a Marine. I was about to do the same. Last time they visited gc.com site was Nov. 8, 2004, so they are still showing interest, but perhaps they cannot get out and cache right now. Send a friendly reminder that it's in their possession. And have patience.

The longest?

Well, I held onto Sani for 340 days from January 16 until December 22 2003.

Then I held Hound Dog for 274 days from December 26, 2003 until September 25, 2004.

Beat that. :(

My other TB kidnapping have not been so impressive.

Jamie

Why are you bragging about holding someone else TB for that long. I don't get it, someone else pays for it, sends it out and you TAKE it for yourself for almost a year to deprive the owner from the main reason it was put out. WHY? Are you just mean?

The longest?

Well, I held onto Sani for 340 days from January 16 until December 22 2003.

Then I held Hound Dog for 274 days from December 26, 2003 until September 25, 2004.

Beat that.  B)

My other TB kidnapping have not been so impressive.

Jamie

Why are you bragging about holding someone else TB for that long. I don't get it, someone else pays for it, sends it out and you TAKE it for yourself for almost a year to deprive the owner from the main reason it was put out. WHY? Are you just mean?

I think it was a joke :lol:

Jaime Z is a well-respected cacher around here, but that doesn't make him immune from being human. Humans forget things, lose things, etc. I think Jaime was pointing out that he is just as guilty of holding onto travel bugs as some of the n00bs out there.

Jamie's logs and efforts regarding those bugs are a fun read. I'd far prefer to have seen my bug sit on his desk, and receive periodic updates of Jamie's mishaps and world travel adventures, than to have it held out of spite.

I'm far from perfect, too. But most folks know that when a bug is in the hands of a well-known, long-time cacher, it will *eventually* get going again.

Did you notice that the geocacher's occupation is listed as "USMC" and that he only had a couple of cache finds after picking up the bug?  Perhaps he is occupied elsewhere with more pressing tasks.

Did you happen to look at my profile and see that I've been in the Navy for 14 years now?! You probably didn't. I get busy also and I make sure that if I bring a TB along with me while I'm travelling, that it gets placed somewhere in a cache along the way. If I have the travel bug for too long, I contact the owner to let them know that I'm sorry it took so long for me to place it in a cache. He probably did just that. I know that there were plenty of chances to place the TB in a cache along the way from Virginia to California. I looked at this person's profile and knew that he was heading out to California back in November, 2003. Below is the caches they found along the way

(1.5/1)

1 Jan 03 River Walk by Chooper and Tom (GCBD63)

Nevada 17 Dec 03

(2/1)

5 Apr 03 Rio Rillito by Team Critter (GCF331)

Arizona 12 Dec 03

(1/1)

19 Aug 02 Comanche Cache #1 by Permian and PJ (GC820B)

Texas 11 Dec 03

(2.5/3.5)

8 Sep 03 Florida Gap Cache by DesertRats9080 (GCGW45)

New Mexico 11 Dec 03

(1/1)

6 Oct 03 A Tribute To A Fallen Officer by msdark (GCH13D)

Texas 10 Dec 03

(1/1)

17 Nov 02 Centerville Stop I-40E by Salvo (GCAAD0)

Tennessee 08 Dec 03

(2/1)

27 Apr 03 BOAT STOP by BADBART (GCG0V6)

Arkansas 08 Dec 03

(1/1)

9 Jun 03 Little Black Box by NeMo#1 (GCG8GX)

North Carolina 07 Dec 03

This doesn't look like a couple of caches. Looks like eight to me. There was a total of ten that they found after they found the TB. Not including the one that they found the same day they found the Sneezey & Dopey TB. Could have dropped it in any one of them. Yes, I understand that all trips aren't caching trips! Yes, I understand TB's go missing! Yes, I understand that you might not see them at all, ever again! Yes, I understand that the man is in the Marines and I respect that. I'm in the military (Navy) myself down in South Carolina and currently have orders to report to Seal Delivery Vehicle Team 2 in Virginia so I will be going over to Iraq soon, it's inevitable. I have been on deployment numerous times and sympathize with him. As a matter of fact, when I e-mailed the guy to see when he planned on dropping the TB off, he told me that he was just getting back from Iraq and that I reminded him that he had the TB! I'm not trying to make a big issue out of this, I just wanted to know if anyone had kept one longer than this guy did. Sorry if I offended anyone. With that said, is there any more that were longer than the one in question?! Please, I already know this TB's situation. This one's not in question anymore. I want to know about other ones out there!

Thank you Leprechauns for pointing out that the finder is a Marine. I was about to do the same. Last time they visited gc.com site was Nov. 8, 2004, so they are still showing interest, but perhaps they cannot get out and cache right now. Send a friendly reminder that it's in their possession. And have patience.

I contacted them the same day I put this post out and they responded the next day. Read the prior post. The person that started this thread is in the Navy, so I know all about the hardships of the military! Stop bringing up this fact.

Ok, this leads me to a question: how long do I wait before contacting the TB holder? This summer I released 3 TBs and all three are mia. Do I wait months? Weeks? What is the "polite" length of time? I'd love to see these bugs move!!!

Ask them if they lost the bug or did they forget they had it. If they still have it, ask them if they would please put the TB in a cache near them so it can continue it's journey.

Ok, this leads me to a question: how long do I wait before contacting the TB holder? This summer I released 3 TBs and all three are mia. Do I wait months? Weeks? What is the "polite" length of time? I'd love to see these bugs move!!!

I was chastised by an owner for having held his bug for a month, though I was working on fulfilling one of its goals. Sometimes, these things take time! I dropped it off the next weekend.

If you hold my bug for more than a month, I hope you have a plan for furthering its goals.

Despite the guidelines, and given the conditions of caches, a month is not an unreasonable time to hold a Bug. Some caches are inappropriate, or too small.

I have a bug on its way to Portland, Oregon, and another headed for Rochester, New York. Both finders have asked it the delay is permissable. If it takes a month to move to a new cache, that's okay with me. I'm easy.

Did you happen to look at my profile and see that I've been in the Navy for 14 years now?! You probably didn't.

As a matter of fact, I did look at your profile. That is half the reason I posted. I was surprised at your tone towards someone else in the military. I also researched the record of finds by the person holding the travel bug.

I'm not trying to make a big issue out of this, I just wanted to know if anyone had kept one longer than this guy did. Sorry if I offended anyone.

Your use of the term "pathetic" in your original post didn't seem consistent with your later explanation. Hence my post, and Eartha's. You'd be well-advised not to tell the Forum Moderator to stop posting.

Me, I would bend over backward to be understanding of anyone in the military right now. For example, in my local area, a number of us have worked to maintain the caches hidden by a geocacher who is training navigators in the Middle East. Likewise, I am grateful for your own service and I wish you good luck in your upcoming deployment.

I was chastised by an owner for having held his bug for a month, though I was working on fulfilling one of its goals. Sometimes, these things take time! I dropped it off the next weekend.

If you hold my bug for more than a month, I hope you have a plan for furthering its goals.

Despite the guidelines, and given the conditions of caches, a month is not an unreasonable time to hold a Bug. Some caches are inappropriate, or too small.

I have a bug on its way to Portland, Oregon, and another headed for Rochester, New York. Both finders have asked it the delay is permissable. If it takes a month to move to a new cache, that's okay with me. I'm easy.

Good points! I guess these 3 are my first bugs and I'd like to see at least ONE go SOMEWHERE!!! I emailed the gc'er who has had the bug for 6 weeks and the email came back undeliverable. Boohoo.

Okay sort of guilty. I "held" a bug for well over 600 days ;) . It the Blinking Bone wasn't in my possession for most of that time. In fact it took the action of a lawyer after over 18 months of hearing “You will have your stuff back in a couple weeks.”

When I tried to contact he owner vie GC their email bounced back. Being new I didn't know/think about adding a note that the TB was being held hostage.

This TB is one the road again, though it seems to be orphaned.

The long and the short of this is you never know what is up or when your TB will reappear.

As a matter of fact, I did look at your profile.  That is half the reason I posted.  I was surprised at your tone towards someone else in the military.  I also researched the record of finds by the person holding the travel bug.

Your use of the term "pathetic" in your original post didn't seem consistent with your later explanation.  Hence my post, and Eartha's.  You'd be well-advised not to tell the Forum Moderator to stop posting.

Me, I would bend over backward to be understanding of anyone in the military right now.  For example, in my local area, a number of us have worked to maintain the caches hidden by a geocacher who is training navigators in the Middle East.  Likewise, I am grateful for your own service and I wish you good luck in your upcoming deployment.

First off, thank you for the gratefullness and support of all of us military members.

OKAY, can we get back to the reason why I started this thread and stop posting bickering sessions and threats. I could care less if Eartha is the TB forum moderator. That person is there to moderate and I didn't offend that person or anyone else in any manner, so there isn't a reason why Eartha would kick me off of the forum. If anyone is gonna threaten me, let Eartha do it, Not you! Eartha and anyone else on this forum can post what they want, but try to keep it on the same subject that I started this whole thing on, please! Thank you V-8 of the Piston Heds.

I'll admit to holding a tb for longer then I meant to. I think it's been a almost 2 months now. The owner emailed me (though I had meant to email him) and I let him know that I had planned a special dropping place for his bug. But then that pesky problem of sick kids interrupted my plans. Darn, not only sick kids but then of course, sick momma. Nothing like drawing it out. I can't take my kids caching with me now as it is winter in Alaska's interior, the snow would swallow them up. They are little. So I take them to the babysitters to get a caching break. I'm not taking them to the sitters while they are sick nor am I going out in

-10 or colder while I am sick. Sometimes life just gets in the way. Everyone is recovered enough now so I'll go drop the little guy this weekend, while my kids are playing at the babysitters.

OK, Let's just say some of the earliest travel bugs have disappeared, so I'd say a long time is the answer you're looking for. Most cachers never read these forums, so you'll never get a true answer as to which bug was held longest. I hope that people will still post but I don't know why you are feeling so argumentative because I brought up once (prior to your post) that he's in the military. OK, so are you, I'm sorry that we can't bring all our boys home right now, and I'm sorry they keep sending more over. But there is no need for yelling in this forum. We are with you here, not against you. Please keep it civil. We all have the right to our opinion, whether other people agree with us or not, and we all, each and everyone of us, has the right to post here, as long as it is on topic, and follows the forum guidelines.. This forum is for discussion, polite discussion. Let's bring this back on topic and keep it there.

Let the record show that thus far 600 days is the longest recorded, admitted to holding of a travel bug. If anyone happens to see this thread, and has held a bug longer and is willing to admit publicly that they did, please post it here.

I can't take my kids caching with me now as it is winter in Alaska's interior, the snow would swallow them up. They are little. So I take them to the babysitters to get a caching break. I'm not taking them to the sitters while they are sick nor am I going out in -10 or colder while I am sick. Sometimes life just gets in the way.

That does raise the question of what to do with Travel Bugs during the winter? I'm not as hardy as 1stimerstar. I won't be doing a lot of geocaching in the snow.

Should I put the Bugs that I have in 'inventory' in any nearby cache? Let them freeze their tails off under mountains of snow during the winter? That does seem the right answer. Let them sit in a cache over ther winter?

What is the etiquette concerning putting Travel Bugs in caches that haven't been found for months, and probably will not be found for many more months? It might attract more cches to the cache, but it also risks leaving the Bug for months on end. Andy Bear and I were considering a rescue mission for one of his bugs that was put in a cache that had not been found for six month (previously)! Fortunately, Briansnat rescued the bug, and she is now on her way to Louisiana.

Let the record show that thus far 600 days is the longest recorded, admitted to holding of a travel bug. If anyone happens to see this thread, and has held a bug longer and is willing to admit publicly that they did, please post it here.

I had Shutterbug for 988 days. I did keep in contact from time to time with the owner, but you can read the logs.

Picked up the bug, March 13, 2002.

Released the bug November 26, 2004.

Let the record show that thus far 600 days is the longest recorded, admitted to holding of a travel bug.  If anyone happens to see this thread, and has held a bug longer and is willing to admit publicly that they did, please post it here.

I had Shutterbug for 988 days. I did keep in contact from time to time with the owner, but you can read the logs.

Picked up the bug, March 13, 2002.

Released the bug November 26, 2004.

We have a new record, which considering how long travel bugs, or even geocaching have been around, will be tough to beat.

From what I have seen on some of the logs of TB's that I picked up, a two week turn around which is suggested on gc.com is a better than average turn around for the TB's. Things do come up that do prevent someone from geocaching like school or work and this causes the TB's to be held on for a month or two before they are put back out into the wild. Try and be understanding with the people who have the TB's for a while.

Dragon #1 was placed in a cache on 05/03/2003, the cache was archived later and Dragon #1was not seen again until 10/10/06 when it was found in another cache.

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.as...3b-003bd663682b

Ash TB was placed in a cache on 06/23/03 and was not seen again until 12/13/05.

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.as...e9-164028ee5d81

Edited by Wadcutter