• 1/2 cup sunflower seeds

• 1/2 cup raisins

• 1 cup dried banana chips

• 1/2 cup shredded dried apples

• 1 cup unsalted peanuts

• 1/2 cup of almonds

• 1/2 cup of Cashews

• 1 cup dried fruit bits

What do you put in your trail mix? Has any one recipe worked better in giving that much needed energy boost?

Edited by Highnoon25

Into a 1 gallon ziploc I dump:

1 jar of Planter's Peanuts (the whole thing, including the peanut dust in the bottom - this coats the raisins so they're not sticky)

1 big size box of raisins

1 big bag of plain M&M's

The person I learned this from called it Gorp. It's simple and tastes good.

Semper Fidelis,

Culprit99

When making my most recent GORP, I bought a big bag of plain M&Ms, a box of raisins, a can of Planters mixed nuts, and a bag of assorted dried fruit bits.

Dumped the M&Ms, nuts, and fruit into a bowl, then a fraction of the raisins. Now, I like raisins, but it seems that even with just a small portion of the box, raisins were the dominant item in the bowl.

I hand-tossed the bowl, then split the contents between two smallish ziplocks for easy access for each my friend and I.

On our second night hiking, ants raided our packs and there were about 2000 ants in each of our GORP bags. :lol: It was my favorite, too.

Jamie

When making my most recent GORP, I bought a big bag of plain M&Ms, a box of raisins, a can of Planters mixed nuts, and a bag of assorted dried fruit bits.

Dumped the M&Ms, nuts, and fruit into a bowl, then a fraction of the raisins. Now, I like raisins, but it seems that even with just a small portion of the box, raisins were the dominant item in the bowl.

I hand-tossed the bowl, then split the contents between two smallish ziplocks for easy access for each my friend and I.

On our second night hiking, ants raided our packs and there were about 2000 ants in each of our GORP bags. :lol: It was my favorite, too.

Jamie

thought you said you put your mix in zip lock back -

what - did you forget to zip them?

or - how did the ants get in?

Sounds crazy, but I invented this bizarre trail mix while snowed in at a mountain cabin outside of Jackson Hole a few winters ago.

Equal parts Japanese wasabi peas and dried cranberries.

The spicy/hot of the wasabi peas is balanced with the sweet/tart of the cranberries in a truly amazing way.

You have some protein and fat from the fried peas and some good carbs and vitamins in the cranberries.

Don't even think of adding another ingredient. I have tried and nothing works better than the original combo! :lol:

Edited by YuccaPatrol
Into a 1 gallon ziploc I dump:

1 jar of Planter's Peanuts (the whole thing, including the peanut dust in the bottom - this coats the raisins so they're not sticky)

1 big size box of raisins

1 big bag of plain M&M's

The person I learned this from called it Gorp. It's simple and tastes good.

Semper Fidelis,

Culprit99

it's also good with redhots in it.

Bret

Usually raisins, mixed nuts, M & Ms and dried fruit (I like apples and bananas). If I think of it, I'll also add sesame sticks. I've also used the wasabi peas that Yucca Patrol mentioned and they worked real nice. I just keep forgetting to buy them when I make it.

Similar to Jamie's story, when I first started backpacking, I was ignorant of the no food in tents rule. We made camp on a Catskill peak and retired for the night, bringing in a bag of gorp to snack on before we fell asleep.

I woke up in the middle of the night to use the "facilities" and heard a noise outside the tent. My flashlight hit about 4-5 porcupines happily munching away on the gorp just outside the tent. Aparently they were able to un-zip the tent, get inside, grap the gorp and run while we slept. They didn't even wake up our dog (some watchdog!)

Edited by briansnat

Hi,

Like an earlier poster, I prefer to bring the following items...unmixed:

• beef jerky
  • dried pineapple/mango
  • M&Ms
  • wasabi peas
  • cashews
  • hard candy

I found that I didn't like the mixes as much as the individual items, and would always high-grade my mixed bags anyway.

nfa-jamie

i go and get dried banana chips, raisins, shelled sunflower seed, mixed nuts, and raisins. i also keep some beef jerky handy. the thing i try to have above all else is some kind of granola bars.

being diabetic, i have to stay away from dried pineapple, or any high concentrated sugar content...and unfortunately...the m&m are excluded

i really miss pine apple and m&m's but banana chips are okay.

by the way anybody have any suggestions for a good recipe for a diabetic trail mix

?????????

regards

archie

Edited by archeangelsk2002
I mix sunflower and pumpkin seeds with craisins, raisins, cashews, a few almonds,dried apricots and top it off with a big ol handfull of yogurt covered raisins!

No peanuts or chocolate:(

these give me heartburn:(

But wait, Ironman114.......

Don't I get credit for putting the stuff together :( . I mean I'm the one standing in the kitchen mixing it up for you.

Don't forget that sometimes we put in dried apples or pears too. :D

Oh Yeah, I'm being silly :)

Edited by IronMaiden