Magellan Map Downloads

BILADON

I have a Magellan Meridan Color GPS,with MapSend Streets & Destinations. I'm trying to upload more than 16 meg. of map area, I have a 256 meg card in my unit. I can't seem to get more than just the 1 section of 16 meg. Is there any way I can upload more than 1 section of 16 meg & call it something else. It seems that my unit only recognises one named section of the map. I want to have 2 or 3 different areas,called different names.Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The best way I have found is to use a card reader and send map direclty to the card, then rename the map in Windows Explorer and upload another, and repeat until card is full. This is how I got a ll the maps I needed in when we took our road trip from FL to NY. I could not get it to work send directly to the card through the GPS. I got my card reader at Wal-Mart for about $10. It sends map info so much faster because it is USB.

I think I see what you mean,I am using a card reader , but how do you get the GPS to recognise the other maps? It seems like when I try to upload another map, it just replaces the old map with the new one.

if it is the same name file the second one WILL replace it - you have to do something like Map1, Map2 etc. Like the person above said - rename the files in windows. My assumption here is that you can only upload one file name?

if so you will have to upload a file - change the name - then upload a second and change that name - etc....

you can only "see" one detail map at a time. You can change the one you have available in the menus. If you use the serial cable you do over write any previously uploaded map. You have to use a reader to get more than one...for detailed instructions go to the meridian user group on yahoo. there is a wealth of info in the files section including exactly how to do what you are trying to do...

I think I see what you mean,I am using a card reader , but how do you get the GPS to recognise the other maps? It seems like when I try to upload another map, it just replaces the old map with the new one.

Yes, you must rename the map before you upload another. It only sends one name out for the files, if you do not rename, then you overwrite. Then to change maps on the fly in the GPS, it is under the Card Utilities menu options, called select map.

Ok.. 5.xx will be able to switch maps.

Double check that you are renaming the maps. They should be named "map1.img", "map2.img" etc.

It this is the case, put the SD card in your GPS. Turn it on. Press Menu-->Card Utilities-->Change Map

Under Detail Map on this screen, you should get a dropdown of all the maps you have loaded on your SD card. If you don't, you've done something wrong.

What does the dropdown tell you?

Jamie

In all my trials I ended up loosing all but one of my maps on my SD card,so I'll have to re-do them, but I think I have a handle on what I need to do. I didn't know about the card utilities part on my unit. If I understand, this is where I access & change from one map to another? Once I have the maps that I want uploaded to my SD card, I go to the card utilities function & change from one map to another?

I have a Magellan Meridan Color GPS,with MapSend Streets & Destinations. I'm trying to upload more than 16 meg. of map area, I have a 256 meg card in my unit. I can't seem to get more than just the 1 section of 16 meg. Is there any way I can upload more than 1 section of 16 meg & call it something else. It seems that my unit only recognises one named section of the map. I want to have 2 or 3 different areas,called different names.Any help would be greatly appreciated.

From the yahoogroups FAQ:

50) Troubleshooting – Map Size Limits

Thanks to "jvavrus2000"

With the 3.08 version of the Meridian firmware, size restrictions on the size of map files have been removed.

However, the existing MapSend software does not know this, and will try to restrict the size of maps unless told

otherwise.

First, using Windows Explorer, navigate to the MapSend installation directory. This should be under C:\Program

Files\Magellan. Open the MAPSEND.INI file using your favorite text editor. Inside this file, there is a parameter

called "Conv_Memory_Size" which is the maximum region size in bytes. Multiply this number by four, and you

should be able to have much larger regions. If this line does not exist, then add the following line (case sensitive)

under the [Device Defaults] section:

Conv_Memory_Size=65536

Note that the larger the region is, the longer your computer will take to process this region. Processing a 64MB

region is likely to take a very long time. You are much better off making smaller maps, and loading multiple map

files on your SD card, as described in question 13.

Large maps do have some side effect. The larger the map, the more likely the map is to suffer from corruption. Maps

larger than 30MB are prone to corruption and very large maps can result in slow screen updates (Topo seems to be

more sensitive to this than S&D). To minimize the chance of corruption during map generation, run the Mapsend

software to create the maps and do not run any other programs, surf the net, check your email – nothing, nada, nil.

Don’t even think about touching your computer.

Hi every body, I am new in this forum and read with interest this topic.

I would like to know if it is possible to use SD memory cards larger than 128M (max recommended for MAGELLAN color).

My intention would be to load a large map of 300MB (one country in Europe)

If yes is it possible to use and load several large maps (>128MB) without any dammage to the device.

Many thanks for your reply

Edited by cc260E
My intention would be to load a large map of 300MB (one country in Europe)

If yes is it possible to use and load several large maps (>128MB) without any dammage to the device.

I agree with my right honorable colleague TL that card size is not an issue with Meridians (so long as you have a reasonably current firmware). I would add that when you exceed the recommended sizes of the map files themselves, that performance can become unreliable.

Let me pull a quote out of the Meridian FAQs:

Large maps do have some side effect. The larger the map, the more likely the map is to suffer from corruption. Maps larger than 30MB are prone to corruption and very large maps can result in slow screen updates (Topo seems to be more sensitive to this than S&D). To minimize the chance of corruption during map generation, run the Mapsend software to create the maps and do not run any other programs, surf the net, check your email – nothing, nada, nil. Don’t even think about touching your computer.

This statement was developed before DirectRoute came out; it allows regions up to 64MB. You can combine several regions into a single detail map file, but there is little or no advantage to this since one cannot autoroute between regions. As implied, it takes a *long* time to compile large map files. You are free to try...the worst that can happen, I think, is that your GPS chokes on bootup, but popping the card out lets you boot with the basemap, and you can delete the file from a reader.

The conventional wisdom is to use multiple map files that stay within the 64MB limit. You can have as many of those as will fit on the card, switching between them manually as needed.

Edited by embra

The size of the card wont have an impact on use of the gpsr. The size of the map will. I dont think you can load a 200mb single map to view. Would break them down to individual map sections that would be viewable.

I cannot find any limitation though in the Meridian Gold User manual.

I have a 128MB SD card in my Magellan Gold unit (FW 5.35). I found the FAQ on Magellan's Web site helpful (http://www.magellangps.com/en/support/products/faqs/faq_mapsenddirectroute.asp). It states that maps can only be 64MB in size. You can have as many maps on the SD card as you want provided that they are under 64MB each. I have one set for half the East Coast (64MB) and then when I get to NY City, I switch to the second map (also 64MB) and that gets me to Boston. Works well.

--- M

I have been reading other reports of problems with Magellan Firmware 5.35. I timed it today and cold starts are taking nearly 12 minutes. about 4 times as long as before.

Backtracking is also reported as presenting problems. Any others seeing problems/changes since upgrading firmware?

Thanks to all,

With the help of this topic, I have been able to change maps on my Magellan (the manual I got woth the H/W is very limited).

Apparently there is little experience about using large (above 64 MBytes Maps).

So I will follow the wise advice to limit to 64MB and switch from Map tp Map.

I have been reading other reports of problems with Magellan Firmware 5.35.  I timed it today and cold starts are taking nearly 12 minutes.  about 4 times as long as before.

Backtracking is also reported as presenting problems.  Any others seeing problems/changes since upgrading firmware?

I recently updated to 5.35 from 4.something in order to be able to use the new topo Canada maps. Didn't really want to do it after reading some of the experiences but did it anyway and 2 weeks and 20 cache finds later I've had absolutely no problems. In fact I think start up times, time to WAAS lock and overshoot are slightly better than before, accuracy seems the same and the reported EPE seems slightly better. I did take the precaution of reinitializing outside with a clear sky view and left it for an hour (it took about 30 minutes to find all the sats the first time). Maybe overkill but it worked for me :rolleyes: