Uk Cacher Of The Month Table

Deego

Shame a few loud voices have put a stop to it when so many quiet ones praised it.

Where I certainly agree with you SP in deploring Brian's decision to end his COTM ...I don't know if I would place all the blame on the 'few loud voices' as you put it??

As far as I could see most of the points those loud voices raised seemed quite reasonable ...and I rather suspect many others felt the same!!

Also, as you say it was Brian's table it was up to him whether he took on board these comments or not!! I feel maybe he should not have taken it all so personal that he felt he could not continue!

If you do take it over...then no doubt you will make the rules and depending on how many people agree with them will reflect in it's success...which btw I sincerely hope it is :blink:

Bill.

Edited by Team Ullium
Shame a few loud voices have put a stop to it when so many quiet ones praised it.

OK. Am I being a bit dim here or what?

I can't remember ANY loud voices complaining about COTM. In fact I can't remember ANY posts at all in this forum that have been critical of COTM.

If anyone can point out the critical posts then I would be interested to see them.

:blink::D

I can't agree Bill. The table was always Brian's and how it was run was always his business. So long as it was transparent and fair he could and did make whatever changes he wanted to the scoring system, whenever he wanted to. Those loud voices should have respected that and perhaps kept their suggestion to themselves. Just like one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter, one person's constructive comment is someone else's criticism...

Clearly I'm only saying this as an outside observer, but obviously Brian has decided to stop doing it for good reasons, as stated in his post. It's only because I know I'll miss the COTM, and suspect many others will too, that I made the suggestion that I pick it up. As you say, if my efforts aren't welcomed by a good slice of the cachers who've taken part in past tables then I'll not bother to do it again. I don't have an ego that needs public stroking, but nor do I have the time to waste (if waste it is) on a service few use and few enjoy.

I'm still hoping Brian will reconsider, mind. It'd save me a lot of work. :blink:

SP

I can't remember ANY loud voices complaining about COTM. In fact I can't remember ANY posts at all in this forum that have been critical of COTM.

I was thinking of some of the posts in the old COTM thread, but assume Brian had received negative feedback from other sources too - perhaps by email?

SP

I can't agree Bill. The table was always Brian's and how it was run was always his business. So long as it was transparent and fair he could and did make whatever changes he wanted to the scoring system, whenever he wanted to. Those loud voices should have respected that and perhaps kept their suggestion to themselves. Just like one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter, one person's constructive comment is someone else's criticism...

Clearly I'm only saying this as an outside observer, but obviously Brian has decided to stop doing it for good reasons, as stated in his post. It's only because I know I'll miss the COTM, and suspect many others will too, that I made the suggestion that I pick it up. As you say, if my efforts aren't welcomed by a good slice of the cachers who've taken part in past tables then I'll not bother to do it again. I don't have an ego that needs public stroking, but nor do I have the time to waste (if waste it is) on a service few use and few enjoy.

I'm still hoping Brian will reconsider, mind. It'd save me a lot of work. :D

SP

Whew...you neatly sidestepped that return of serve SP and performed a crisp backhand cross court volley....however.....I think I can just get my racket to the ball to belt one down the inside tramline :blink::D:D

Looking now at your reply to Alex...and the fact that as far as I am aware I was the last one to question the logic of one part of the COTM table ... I assume I am the 'loud voice' you are referring to???

All I can say to that is ... if Brian took offence at my comments he didn't appear to and as far as I was concerned I stopped entering on the best of terms!!

However, I really suspect that this turn of events has little or nothing to do with my few innocent comments on that particular thread?....and more to do with the comments on another thread entirely :D

New balls please umpire....and I object to my opponent using his head to return the ball :D:D:D

Bill.

I was thinking of some of the posts in the old COTM thread, but assume Brian had received negative feedback from other sources too - perhaps by email?

SP

Yes, looking back I can see the earlier thread and the disussion about trigpoints. I must have missed the thread at the time. It probably got bogged down by all the congrats threads. :D

OK, I'll get me coat. :blink:

Just read the message and sorry to see it go although I respect Brian's decision. It's been fun while it lasted and thanks for the effort involved.

SP you will get my results in Jan even though my caching for the month has already stopped, if you decide to take it on. Best of Luck.

I promise I wasn't thinking of any individual Bill, I was talking about Loud Voices (note the plural) as a general term, in the way one might refer to 'The Powers That Be' or 'The Moral Majority'. Brian did make it clear in his post that it was a problem which had been growing for some time and since I've not seen any big push to have COTM changed to suit the wishes of the masses it seems a simple case of unnamed bad apples. As for the other thread, I don't read them all and it looks like I've missed the one you refer to. I would add if you do feel in some way responsible for the 'Death of COTM' that perhaps it'd be wise not to draw attention to it? That is unless you want to take the credit. Anyway, I'm sure Brian's decision was based on many factors and not just the suggestion that TrigPointing has little to do with Caching, or any other specific gripette.

SP

I promise I wasn't thinking of any individual Bill, I was talking about Loud Voices (note the plural) as a general term, in the way one might refer to 'The Powers That Be' or 'The Moral Majority'. Brian did make it clear in his post that it was a problem which had been growing for some time and since I've not seen any big push to have COTM changed to suit the wishes of the masses it seems a simple case of unnamed bad apples. As for the other thread, I don't read them all and it looks like I've missed the one you refer to. I would add if you do feel in some way responsible for the 'Death of COTM' that perhaps it'd be wise not to draw attention to it? That is unless you want to take the credit. Anyway, I'm sure Brian's decision was based on many factors and not just the suggestion that TrigPointing has little to do with Caching, or any other specific gripette.

SP

Nope I don't feel I was in anyway responsible for the death of COTM...nor am I eager to take the credit for it....but if I was ....I certainly wouldn't be 'afraid' to draw attention to it Paul :blink:

I don't hint around I speak my mind...and despite the fact I try to be as tactful as I can...I don't always succeed....but no one is left in any doubt as to how I feel about things ... nor who I am referring to :D

Bill.

My thanks to you for doing the COTM table each month, I know how much effort you put in to it. I for one will miss it (Not that I'm a numbers Man B) )

I hope you do reconsider, it would be a shame to loose this, but I also respect your decision. If you have made up your mind to hang up your table, maybe you would consider ending the year on a high with a final table for December??? and even a Table for the year???

Thanks again anyway

Wild trekker

Edited by wildtrekker

I am afraid I have missed this topic till now. Sorry but I actually went out to look for some tupperware in obscure places yesterday including some unfinished Scrabble business.

But I do want to thank Brian for giving us some fun - I failed to understand the gripes and accepted the tables on the terms offered to us by Brian.

What mildly surprises me is why Brian has not offered to run a poll on the continuance of COTM, either by him or Paul! Perhaps he wants to be able to have time to actually go out caching like I did yesterday. B)

:( I have just caught up with this thread and am sorry to hear Brain is hanging up his COTM boots.

But I must give him plenty of applause,cheers and "for he's a jolly good fellow!" and other stuff along them lines for the time he has taken in keeping the table going for as long as it has been.

And I will now have to devise a personal table for me and my Daughter to try to improve upon each month as this table was really what made my Daughter make an effort to get out and go walking (she is suffering a growth spurt and gets in real pain to excercise) instead of sat indoors playing games and watching movies!

Anyway from me and the rest of the gang on here. "Thanks for all your time and effort you put in, now go get hunting - you have some tupperware that is begging to be found!!!" :D:D

Edited by izzardno1

Yes, maybe John is right and a poll should be done, I just felt that some of the forum post’s by more than one person, along with some negative emails again by more than one person. Gave me the feeling that it was doing more harm than good and that’s why only a small percentage of active cachers entered, Don’t get me wrong If too many people entered it would be hard to write all the pages using html , so I am more than happy with the level of entry, But on a personal note I don’t like to be seen in a bad light.

So I have done a short poll on the G:UK page. Please cast your vote ya or nay. Even if you have never entered the table

Thanks

Brian

Ps I am half way through November’s table so don’t forget to send them in.

Edited by Deego

Brian, ignore the small number. I'll wager that if you are getting 50 or so entries each month and you counted the number of people active in the forums you'll probably find you are getting 50 out of, say, (Careful) a number not much bigger than 50! :(

Edited by Kitty Hawk

I was just getting into the swing of things, planning to enter and now it looks like the future of the COTM is about to end :(

I am fairly new to all of this and I don't want to upset anyone, but If someone does decide to carry on with the competition I would like it to be for Caching and TBs only and exclude Trigs.

It is only a bit of fun and if people really want to include Trigs so be it - just my 2 pence worth!

Martin

I voted as well SP...and you don't have to guess which way I voted because I'll tell you ...I voted 'don't care' which was true only from my point of view!

But I really meant what I said about it being a shame if Deego gives it up as I can see how much fun a good many members get from the tables...and I dare say...even if I am most definitely not a numbers man or feel the need to be in competition with anyone...I would still have been entering my stats but for the reaction I got at a jocular P.S. remark...and was then forced to defend it!

I would like to suggest to Deego though...that maybe if he had kept it strictly to the geocaching boundaries then perhaps he might have had even more members submitting their stats every month. But be that as it may....I accept it is his decision and after all it did work as it was! :(

Bill.

It would be a shame if you give up the COTM table Brian, lots of people enjoy it - for the people who don't, a word of advice, just don't enter, it's that simple.

Looking back at some of the posts in this thread there are new people joining it every month - you have said yourself with the new people joining this month you would have to prepare their profiles.

You must remember that there is a COTM travel bug going round somewhere (is there not? - or have I made that up?!?) it would be a shame that it's mission would be unfulfilled with the demise of the tables.

Looking at the stats since you started doing the tables there have been so many more caches planted - I'm sure with the idea of 20 points for each one in the back of some peoples minds (I know that speaking personally) and more caches have been found with TB's in them for similar reasons.

Looking at the Trigpointing pages more and more familiar names keep appearing on the lists and the number of active trigpointers has risen from approx 50 to approx 80 since the COTM tables have been created.

Despite the moans of a few - there are a lot more in the silent majority who applaud what you do each month and look forward in anticipation of where they are in the league.

I hope that the poll gives you a true picture that most people are behind you and want the tables to continue.

We personally applaud what you have done for the sport/past-time over the past 12 months and we wish it to remain and prosper a long time to come.

Best Regards John + Carol

Hmmm.... just got back from parts foreign, missed all the wrangling though heard a little about one bit on the grapevine.

Thanks for the remindere Brian, though I did forget the CIN TB, stick us another 10 on please :unsure:

I think the poll is fairly conclusive, so what happens now?

Glad to hear it, lets face it, it wouldn`t be the same without you :unsure::unsure:

Seconded! Thanks for reconsidering Brian, it's saved me making good on my suggestion.

I look forward to working through my monthly figures for the table at the end of the month. It shouldn't take long. 2 finds and 1 hide so far.... Bum.

SP :huh:

And if democracy wins, we all win!

I wonder what changes the people who didn't want the COTM table to continue in it's historic form would make? I know the Trig issue (here I am calling it an issue, like it was spiralling personal debt, binge drinking or something!) has been brought up, but was there more?...

Perhaps I'll publish my stats here at the end of the month and see where I end up on several tables? :grin: :grin:

SP

Edited to make it clearer I'm having a small joke.

Edited by Simply Paul

Brian's already had his Christmas present. A chauffeur driven caching expedition in the Peak District! Check out the logs and photos in about a dozen caches around the Eyam, Hathersage and Bamford areas last weekend.

Brian, have you found a cache large enough to take your trigpoint pillar TB yet?

I believe 70 entries is a record month Deego? I think that puts the seal on this silly 'giving up doing it' business. You've been thingied by the masses mate! I'm also chuffed with my lucky 7th place - my best ever standing. Thanks very much for doing the table again Brian and long may it continue - and long may I keep appearing somewhere near the top <_<

"Oh that Simply Paul. He's dreadfully competitive you know..."

SP