Coin Making

SeventhSon

I am the guy who spearheaded getting the California Geocoin minted.

We used a company called Press Metal (www.pressedmetal.net).

They are the company that also minted the U.S.A and Oregon Geocoins.

Though there are other companies that can make Geocoins too. Check with the Geocachers who got the Washington State Geocoin minted. It is in color and really looks cool.

I'm just now placing my order on my personal geocoin. I started with D&R Military and didn't get great service via email thru them and switched to KV Coins and have been happy with how they have treated me and they actually act like they want my business.

How does KV compare in price to the other?

I'm just now placing my order on my personal geocoin.  I started with D&R Military and didn't get great service via email thru them and switched to KV Coins and have been happy with how they have treated me and they actually act like they want my business.

How does KV compare in price to the other?

They are just a bit more if I remember, but worth it for the service. They have a nice pricing chart on their website which was exactly what was on my invoice. Plus $15 shipping.

You can always create your own master coin then make an RTV mold of it. After that, you can cast dozens of them while you watch a movie. The resin's that are on the market these days will work very well. You can even cast in colors if you want... We make our own molds and cast our own parts for our train hobbies with perfect results.

Jon.

Edited by The Foster Clan

I have started making my own from stainless steel, with the text and imagery deep-etched, and filled with enamel paint.

Very easy to do at home, although corrosive chemicals are involved, with the finished article looking quite professional..

We are fortunate in a way that here aren't that many caches (yet!) in my country, so I don't need to make too many coins at a time, but the costs are minimal.

Will post a pic soon.

When I started looking for pricing for our coins, I checked out Pressedmetal, songs coins, KV coins, and a couple others that leave me. Pressedmetal was the least expensive until I started adding color. KVcoins won out after that. So far, very pleased with the sample coin. Look forward to the first 500 to come in!!! Good luck with your coin.

BTW, I'd like more information on pressing out my own coins? Seems cool yet somewhat out of my price range.

I have been looking into having a coin made, but it's too much $$ right now. I was looking into the wooden nickels, but ...

Anyway, I was at City Hall today and they just got their fresh shipment of dog tags in. (You know, for Fido). The clerk gave me the ordering info. The price is pretty darn cheap. I know the coin will look it, but $31 for 100 - and numbered to boot? I think I may take the chance. If I leave the center blank, I can come up with something cool to put there. The place that she told me about doesn't sell on their website, but I found another company at www.nationalband.com, that sells them too. If I remember correctly, they can stamp BOTH sides for around $25 extra.

Just thought I'd share my discovery! ENjoy!