Geocacher Demographics

Sex, gender, age, marital status, occupation... nothing unusual there.

I never had an interest in <A TITLE="Click for more information about computers" STYLE="text-decoration: none; border-bottom: medium solid green;" HREF="http://search.targetwords.com/u.search?x=5977|1||||computers|AA1VDw">computers</A>, gadgets, and computer games, which makes me sort of an oddity in this forum, huh?

I am a compulsive photographer- I use a big SLR, not a digital.

I don't get hangovers no matter what I drink, how much I drink, or what combination of things I drink.

I've lived in a lot of places and loved/hated every single one of them.

I have been trying to teach my dog to say 'Mama' for two years. I know he's capable of it. He's just being stubborn. I still take him geocaching with me sometimes.

I like finding things strangers have planted somewhere off the beaten path. It's a holdover from a childhood of reading about explorers and pirates and mysteries and whatnot.

I didn't start saying 'whatnot' until three years ago when a guy I worked with used it all the time.

My cat (puff) says hello! B)

More geothingies. I missed this thread:

If you poke me with a pin, I'll bleed, but most likely so will you.

I'm a concealed handgun instructor, but I almost NEVER carry a gun. Is that wrong?

My Mom is 80 and I'm 37. All my brothers and sisters are at LEAST 10 years older than me. Heck, I have a nephew that is a year older than me. I think I may have been an accident......

I'm not voting in the next election. I can't bring myself to choose between an idiot and a liar. Eh, six of one.... I plan to complain either way.

I haven't been to the Zoo in like, 7 years.

I really hate getting "ice cream cone" headaches.

I can speak, read, and write a little Arabic. (not fluently)

I'm pretty indifferent to reality TV, but I love the Osbournes.

If I had multiple personalities, they would probably inhabit the town of Cicely, Alaska.

I have hidden like a dozen new caches, but I'm not motivated to post them for some reason.

Conium Masculatum is poison ya know!

If anyone has an old NES copy of Black Bass, try this code to catch a MONSTER bass: P2AAJI2TGGNQY1VN I keep hoping that the next time I drink tequila, the brain cell that code is stored on will get fried. Strangely, I worry about burning the one with my phone number on it.

I got 100% in coding on the ASVAB. They made me take that section again and I got 100%.

I have never seen Morgan Fairchild naked.

I bought my first car at the age of 12. A 1961 Olds F85. I bought it for my brother for $200. He needed a car.

I recently had a face to face encounter with a 600+ lb. bear. (not my first) He just walked away.

My favorite color is red.

I have always been suspicious of Dr. Quest and Race Bannon's relationship. :smile:

SNOOG7.jpg

female

29, no, wait that won't work any more, my daughter will be 21 this year, dang!

Husband has been my best friend since I was 15.

We have two boys also 19 & 14 --none of the kids have been caching yet.

Bought my truck-driver husband a GPSr for his birthday (for the maps) and found out about geocaching when I was reading about the GPS online--immediately knew that geocaching was for me...because...

Science teacher--above average intelligence (tested).

Right-brain/left-brain person (Biology Education major with every science minor

my college offered, as well as a 56 credit hour Art History minor (Baffled my

profs, who could not figure out what those things had to do with each other).

Gotta see what's around that next corner...

Love maps--always--i was a 'burn the edges to make 'em look old' map maker, too

Like to hunt rocks and wanted to be an archaeologist when I was a kid...

Former Girl Scout and GS leader too...

Gadgets, tools, and computers are fun--Whoever dies with the most toys WINS!

Male, age 49, married with 6 yr old son.

I'm a gadget freak, an engineer, and love solving problems. My little boy has autism and isn't interested in too many things most kids his age like but he likes the treasure hunting aspect of geocaching and the walks through the woods. Its something we do together is the main thing I like. My wife loves it because she gets the house to herself on weekends.

Compared to the people posting, I feel like a real looser, no wonder I've been divorced twice. Or maybe it's because I've never owned a microwave, who knows?

I've started doing it because I like being outdoors and it's one more excuse to avoid housework. ;-)

Basic demographics:

- Female

- divorced

- no kids

- 2 cats

- 1 dog

- 1 fish

Other stuff:

- Have a BA in Geography - working on finishing the MS in Geography now

- Above average intelligence (and make great grades in school)

- Love maps - always loved maps - electronic or paper - doesn’t matter

- Bought my first GPS in 2002 (Streetpilot III) and have been fascinated ever since

- Bought an ETREX just for geocaching last week

- Never been an “outdoorsy” kind of girl, this is a new thing for me (but I can see getting into it in a big way!)

- Gives me a chance to go outside and take walks but with a purpose - less boring that way

- Any reason to get outside and use my brain at the same time is a good thing in my book!

- Love to travel - if I could get paid to travel, I would be the happiest girl on the planet!

- Just got my first motorcycle (1999 Honda Shadow VLX Deluxe) and rode it 300 miles from Dallas to Amarillo on the first day (my brother rode it the other 50 miles to give me a break)

- Love to shoot - especially .22 pistol and rifle. I have my grandfather’s Ruger and it’s easier to shoot than my Browning!

- Speaking of shooting - I also love photography - I have a digital that takes awesome photos but I still love print/slide film

- Love almost all movies, especially action and suspense - don’t like horror.

- Love the original Star Trek, ST:TNG and the ST movies. Love Star Wars too.

- Read waaayyyy too much - but I read very fast so I go through a LOT (again, no horror)

- Don’t watch much TV but I did love Friends (and the Dallas show in the 80s LOL)

- I love most music - especially stuff I can sing to (i.e. country) - don’t like hard rock or heavy metal or rap though

- Like to watch most sports - especially baseball. I don’t get bored with sports and watch most anything pretty willingly (except boxing - just can NOT understand that sport)

- Love most art - especially impressionists and classics (to see all of Michaelangelo’s known works is on my list of goals and since Leonardo da Vinci and I share a birthday, I am fascinated by him as well)

- I was a “geek” from an early age (but back then we were just called “nerds”)

- I used my first computer at 12 when my dad got into the industry - it had a single floppy and no hard drive! What excitement to go to a 2 floppy system, and then the first hard drive - a whole 10 meg!!! Who would have ever thought you would need more???

- I’ve done a lot of different jobs in my life - from owning restaurants, to being a nanny to being a professional poker dealer in Las Vegas! I’m looking forward to finishing my MS and starting to teach at a local college.

I think that is just about everything you every wanted to know...and then a lot more you didn’t! LOL <_<

not a geek (don't have a cell phone and am generally viewed as a luddite)

not into indiana jones (tho i like the hat!)

male, 47

2 kids, 2 cats, 2 birds, 1 dog

always liked maps, compasses, hiking, and reasure humts

like fishing, caching gives me a good excuse and motivation to explore new areas

I'm fairly new to geochaching, but I'm already hooked. I have read a lot of forum posts and other things on the GC.com site looking for info and tips for begginers. I noticed that it seems there are a lot of older cachers and families with kids, but I have seen very few cachers in the 20s age range. Being in this age group myself I was curious if there are many college age cachers. If I'm the only one it wouldn't bother me. I'm used to being an independant guy anyway. :blink:

We have several around here that are college age kids that search for caches.

Lil Tahosa is almost 13 and goes with me alot. But as to age we do not know what the real purpose of Algebra is until we turn 40. Because we can come up with an equation that gives us our Real age, not our Birth age. So when we turn 40 it goes like this.

R=(B-39)-1

R = (40 - 39) - 1

R = (1) - 1

R = 0

We can start all over again and have our second childhood with a GPS in tow.

When I hit 30, I started counting backwards, so now I'm 18!!! :blink:

The problem with counting backwards is that, with modern medicine people don't die young much any more. So, that means, if you are getting younger each year you'll have to die pretty soon.

So, no, I'm going for the old age. Keep adding those years. Some day I'm going to be the healthiest old guy around. Getting young will kill you.

As for demographics, aside from me (42 yr) the next most enthusiastic cacher in our family is 7. He hid his first cache over a year ago and is still going strong.

26 years old (next week), married, locale = Anchorage Alaska. We'll be leaving soon, headed down to North Carolina for some warmer temperatures. We're mid-twenties but young at heart. Two small dogs that travel with us on our caching adventures - talk about some stories, our little boy dog relieved himself on me while we were going down a steep hill ... guess he got scared!

I'm going to be 40 in January. :lol:

Do you think I should set up a memorial cache? Something in the shape of a tombstone? :lol:

Seriously, caching is going to help keep me young. I went after a FTF on Sunday - hubby was asleep and the two young Marauders didn't want to go out. Said the oldest: "What's with you, Mom? You never wanted to go out before geocaching!"

Gotta Cache!

Momma Marauder

I was younger when I started.  If you would of doubled my age when I started there was a good chance I'd still be around when I got that old.  Now, it's not looking so good.

Some of you actuarial types cold probably figure out my age from that.

Ok, I took the bait and looked at your profile...we'll round up and say you started 3 years ago. Doubling adds 6 to your age. Using Jeremy's info average of 38. Would have been 76 - probably about average for male in the US. Now would be 41- doubling would be 82 - getting away from the expected norm. Close?