How Can We Get A Push For More Handicaching.com

SKYWLKR

I am in a situation to need the information now (fiancee' is in a Wheel chair and crutches for a few months)and have always tried to be an advocate since My dad had problems that required him to use a cane and be very short breathed.

But site has NO listings other than the 6 I did this mornig for the 100 mile radius area.

Thanks

Maybe a banner add? what does it cost? I could raffle a cool flash light out of my collection to rase money for it.

I am in a situation to need the information now (fiancee' is in a Wheel chair and crutches for a few months)and have always tried to be an advocate since My dad had problems that required him to use a cane and be very short breathed.

But site has NO listings other than the 6 I did this mornig for the 100 mile radius area.

Thanks

Maybe a banner add? what does it cost? I could raffle a cool flash light out of my collection to rase money for it.

Why not post a request for this in your regional forum. There is no way to force people to post their cache on that site. But a request in your regional might help.

If you're that into having it, email cachers that are local and say "I don't know if you know about this, but there's a site called handicaching...." explain it briefly and let them know that it only takes about a minute for each cache they enter...

Suggest that even if they can't list all of them that they at least try to list any cache they have as a 2 terrain or less to start off with...

Be prepared for backlash, just because it's easier that way.

If you go to any events or are a member of the local organization, bring it up the next time everyone meets.

If you're that into having it, email cachers that are local and say "I don't know if you know about this, but there's a site called handicaching...." explain it briefly and let them know that it only takes about a minute for each cache they enter...

It might be a way to get some people to change their misleading 1 star ratings. E-mail them and say "I see by your cache's rating that its handicap accessable. Perhaps you will consider having it listed at handicaching.com....."

It might be a way to get some people to change their misleading 1 star ratings. E-mail them and say "I see by your cache's rating that its handicap accessable. Perhaps you will consider having it listed at handicaching.com....."

:lol: Good idea! Unfortuneatly, the 1 star is an abused rating. I've mailed several hiders, politely suggesting that perhaps they could amend their rating to 1 1/2 stars, as it's clearly not a handicap accessible. Whatever promotes awareness (with a minimum of angst) is a good thing!

I started using the Handicache links on some of my hides (in No. VA) recently. Unfortunately, only 2 of my hides are even close to "1" terrain. And both of those still require a bit of searching at the cache site that might not be possible in a wheel chair.

Unless you're hiding an urban micro, I think you'd really have to plan in advance to make an accessible cache. Now that it's been brought to my attention, I will hide some that qualify.

I'd really like to hear from some handicapped cachers what sort of things to avoid, or what makes a cache accessible or not. Is it mostly about wheel-chairs? Paved or smooth paths? Or is the cache hide a big factor?

Sky -

I have worked with RK and written a large piece of documentation dealing with using the hc web site.

I have hidden many caches since then and each has been rated my hc.com

I agree - try you local forum and see if you can't get some of the local caches donw ther in bayou country.

I was googling handicapped caches and found this old post. I have been checking out the handicaching site but I was unable to find any local caches that were "handicapped/wheelchair accessible". At least the ones I've bookmarked to do at a future date. I really would like to see the handicaching site list the caches they have rated listed by state instead of having to type in the navi #. If anyone knows of any wheelchair accessible caches in Hampton Road Va area or anywhere for that matter. I know that when I look at a cache the first thing I look for is the little handicapped symbol on the cache page but sometimes even when it does have that symbol it still is not what I consider wheelchair accessible because there is a curb to get to an LPC or another. The one's that I have found that I liked are:

GCX5VQ - Noble Steed - very creative - One of My Favorites

GCF35A - To Bind Up The Nation's Wound's - virtual

GCQN39 - I Like Mine With Lettuce and Tomato... - micro

GCA24E - 90th PA Infantry - virtual

GCKA5M - Unsettled Spirit - virtual

GC400F - Phoca Vitulina - virtual

GCJAQH - Love Letter - micro

GCHQF6 - Blue Light Special - Very Creative - One of My Favorites

Out of the over 50 caches that we have found these are the only ones that if I were by myself and Chip was not with me, I could get. I realize that this sport was mainly designed for caches to be hidden in parks and places that are not usually handcapped friendly but it is nice to be able to get a few caches on my own and feel a sense of accomplishment. I think if everyone who hides caches would place at least 1 accessible cache out of every 10 placed then it would open this sport to a much wider range of participants. I plan to post more caches here that I find to be handicapped/wheelchair friendly and I encourage anyone else to do the same no matter where you live so that other "handicachers" can seek out these caches. And just FYI we have a new geonickel coming soon and if you do create an accessible cache that it will fit in then you just might receive one in it. Here is a pic:

Thank you

geonickle.jpg

I'd really like to hear from some handicapped cachers what sort of things to avoid, or what makes a cache accessible or not. Is it mostly about wheel-chairs? Paved or smooth paths? Or is the cache hide a big factor?

Though I am not in a wheelchair (unless I have just been on a long flight), I do sometimes need the help of a walking stick and have problems reaching some caches due to flexibilty issues. Any cache that requires the tie the shoelace trick to retrieve, I cannot do as I can't kneel. I have in the past had to point out a likely looking spot to my husband or friend and have them check it for me (it is often the correct spot). Too many of these hides in a day (often rated 1/1 and often micros) can lessen the enjoyment of caching as I like to be able to check a spot and come up with the cache in hand. Sometimes larger caches are so well placed in their hiding spot they require someone more flexible than myself to retrieve. All I would ask is that when placing a cache, if it is possible, to place it off the ground a bit, it could make it easier for more to retrieve. Some caches, I know, are placed for the challenge of the retrieval and my husband loves these caches and I wouldn't deprive him of them at all. It just gets discouraging to come back from a days caching and log most of your finds as: Plasmagal couldn't reach this one so Plasma had to get it. Thanks